Re: Suggestions for bike compatible with Xtracycle

  • patel_rahul
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
      Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:

      * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.

      * I am 5'8", so I am guessing that 26" would be the best fit.

      * I am in Orange County, CA.

      Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.

      A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?

      I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
        The Ute is popular enough so that Xtracycle is now carrying some accessories for it. Check dealers for a 2010 model as you might get it at a discount. Fewer cargo & passenger hauling accessories are available for it compared to the Xtracycle or Mundo so far as I know.

        26" is wheel size, not frame size. Bikes with either wheel size can have frames in different sizes to fit most people. 26" or MTB wheels were mentioned due to those being what the Freeradical is designed for. Use of 700c wheels restricts tire size and requires either a disc rear brake or a adapter to reposition the V brake arms to work with the larger wheel.

        For two kids, depending on age, consider the Madsen. They list discounts on their web site for ones with moderate cosmetic shipping damage and the savings can be substantial.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "patel_rahul" <patelrahul@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:
        >
        > * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.
        >
        > * I am 5'8", so I am guessing that 26" would be the best fit.
        >
        > * I am in Orange County, CA.
        >
        > Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.
        >
        > A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?
        >
        > I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
          On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM, patel_rahul <patelrahul@...> wrote:
          * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.

          Excellent idea.  You should be able to find an inexpensive, dusty garage bike to build on.

          A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet,  however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?

          I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

          In my opinion, the main difference between the Ute, Mundo and Xtracycle is the ability to carry cargo right out of the box.  With the Ute and Mundo, you'll need to purchase some sizable panniers to match the carrying capability of the Freeradical kit out of the box.  Once that cost is factored in, you may find the Freerad to be the best deal.  There may be other differences, such as where the center of gravity of your cargo sits, but I've never test-ridden the Yuba or Kona.

        • Steve Lange
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
            On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

            In my opinion, the main difference between the Ute, Mundo and Xtracycle is the ability to carry cargo right out of the box.  With the Ute and Mundo, you'll need to purchase some sizable panniers to match the carrying capability of the Freeradical kit out of the box.  Once that cost is factored in, you may find the Freerad to be the best deal.  There may be other differences, such as where the center of gravity of your cargo sits, but I've never test-ridden the Yuba or Kona.

            That's a good point. I have ridden the Yuba and think it's a fine bike (and I personally wouldn't worry about the weight of the bike itself - any of these options are going to be 40-50lbs by the time you're done outfitting them), but the fact that it doesn't come with usable bags (unlike the Freerad kit) is a bit of a drawback.

            I do conceptually like and prefer the re-use of an existing bike and I hope that was clear from my original post, as negative-sounding as I know it seemed on its face. It's just that you've got to make sure that it's in good enough condition such that you don't incur a bunch of hidden costs in the process of conversion (which I'm sure I made overly clear already).

            Good luck, please don't hesitate to ask for more input!

            Steve Lange
            Santa Barbara, CA
          • evanfhlewis
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
              Hey there,

              I happen to be new to the world of cargo bikes (read: not remotely as well or technically versed as most of the people on this list) but I am the recent owner of both a 2010 Kona Ute as well as a 2010 Big Dummy, both of which I use to haul my kid(s) around.

              IMHO, the Ute is an excellent choice in terms of cost and usability. but seems to lack the longer-term adaptability of something like the Big Dummy. Both are easy to ride, easy on the eyes and can haul a moderate (Ute) to large (BD) amount of stuff.

              In terms of hauling kids, I have a toddler and an infant so for now, when I haul both, I use a Chariot kid carrier. When it's just the toddler, she sits on the deck with a Stoker bar but for NYC riding, I am adding bars to keep her more locked into the deck.

              Overall, I think that if you don't have a bike stand in your basement and a full set of tools, then my guess is that the seemingly larger initial cost of something like the Ute or Big Dummy would shrink rapidly as you accounted for the time and parts required to build out something like a Free Radical. As for the Madsen and Yuba, I love the idea of the Madsen and think that it's probably great for moving kids around. But I would be surprised (disclaimer: I have NOT test ridden the Madsen) if it's comfortable for longer rides.

              Sorry for the ramble - hope any/some of it helps.

              Regards,
              Evan
              NYC

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "patel_rahul" <patelrahul@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:
              >
              > * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.
              >
              > * I am 5'8", so I am guessing that 26" would be the best fit.
              >
              > * I am in Orange County, CA.
              >
              > Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.
              >
              > A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?
              >
              > I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

            • Denise E K Martin
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                I have a 2009 Ute and love it. I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, and because we live on the 7th floor of an apt bldg I have to heave-ho it upright into the elevator twice a day. The weight is completely tolerable for that despite being loaded up with all my stuff and my 3 yr old's stuff (lunches, books, laptop, stroller, change of clothes, jackets, etc.).

                --Denise
                (via my iPhone)

                On Oct 5, 2010, at 21:57, evanfhlewis <evanlewis1@...> wrote:

                Hey there,

                I happen to be new to the world of cargo bikes (read: not remotely as well or technically versed as most of the people on this list) but I am the recent owner of both a 2010 Kona Ute as well as a 2010 Big Dummy, both of which I use to haul my kid(s) around.

                IMHO, the Ute is an excellent choice in terms of cost and usability. but seems to lack the longer-term adaptability of something like the Big Dummy. Both are easy to ride, easy on the eyes and can haul a moderate (Ute) to large (BD) amount of stuff.

                In terms of hauling kids, I have a toddler and an infant so for now, when I haul both, I use a Chariot kid carrier. When it's just the toddler, she sits on the deck with a Stoker bar but for NYC riding, I am adding bars to keep her more locked into the deck.

                Overall, I think that if you don't have a bike stand in your basement and a full set of tools, then my guess is that the seemingly larger initial cost of something like the Ute or Big Dummy would shrink rapidly as you accounted for the time and parts required to build out something like a Free Radical. As for the Madsen and Yuba, I love the idea of the Madsen and think that it's probably great for moving kids around. But I would be surprised (disclaimer: I have NOT test ridden the Madsen) if it's comfortable for longer rides.

                Sorry for the ramble - hope any/some of it helps.

                Regards,
                Evan
                NYC

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "patel_rahul" <patelrahul@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:
                >
                > * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.
                >
                > * I am 5'8", so I am guessing that 26" would be the best fit.
                >
                > * I am in Orange County, CA.
                >
                > Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.
                >
                > A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?
                >
                > I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

              • Apple Quick
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                  My recent experience has been purchasing a free radical kit that did not work well on my donor bike.  It was an issue with the frame's kickstand plate.  I picked up a Cannondale on craigslist for $50.00.  The Cannondale is in remarkable shape for the price.  The bottom line is that I was able to pick up a donor on the cheap that rides great with the free radical kit.  I really does ride far better than I expected. If I still am liking the set up a couple months down the road, I will make a few upgrades.  Until then I am happy with my results for the money I have spent so far. Before I got the free radical, I looked at my other options.  In the end I was won over by the options that are available through Xtracycle.

                  On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Denise E K Martin <denise.ek.martin@...> wrote:

                  I have a 2009 Ute and love it. I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, and because we live on the 7th floor of an apt bldg I have to heave-ho it upright into the elevator twice a day. The weight is completely tolerable for that despite being loaded up with all my stuff and my 3 yr old's stuff (lunches, books, laptop, stroller, change of clothes, jackets, etc.).

                  --Denise
                  (via my iPhone)

                  On Oct 5, 2010, at 21:57, evanfhlewis <evanlewis1@...> wrote:

                  Hey there,

                  I happen to be new to the world of cargo bikes (read: not remotely as well or technically versed as most of the people on this list) but I am the recent owner of both a 2010 Kona Ute as well as a 2010 Big Dummy, both of which I use to haul my kid(s) around.

                  IMHO, the Ute is an excellent choice in terms of cost and usability. but seems to lack the longer-term adaptability of something like the Big Dummy. Both are easy to ride, easy on the eyes and can haul a moderate (Ute) to large (BD) amount of stuff.

                  In terms of hauling kids, I have a toddler and an infant so for now, when I haul both, I use a Chariot kid carrier. When it's just the toddler, she sits on the deck with a Stoker bar but for NYC riding, I am adding bars to keep her more locked into the deck.

                  Overall, I think that if you don't have a bike stand in your basement and a full set of tools, then my guess is that the seemingly larger initial cost of something like the Ute or Big Dummy would shrink rapidly as you accounted for the time and parts required to build out something like a Free Radical. As for the Madsen and Yuba, I love the idea of the Madsen and think that it's probably great for moving kids around. But I would be surprised (disclaimer: I have NOT test ridden the Madsen) if it's comfortable for longer rides.

                  Sorry for the ramble - hope any/some of it helps.

                  Regards,
                  Evan
                  NYC

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "patel_rahul" <patelrahul@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:
                  >
                  > * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.
                  >
                  > * I am 5'8", so I am guessing that 26" would be the best fit.
                  >
                  > * I am in Orange County, CA.
                  >
                  > Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.
                  >
                  > A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8", 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?
                  >
                  > I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Been out of town and have not read any of the other esponses  but I would say, find a bike YOU LIKE and put the Free Rad ON THAT BIKE.  Doesn't matter what it is!  AS LONG AS THE FREE RAD FITS!  I have thought about attaching it to my Schwinn Typhoon! (2 speed kick back hub!) but it is a bunch of hassle to tear everything apart just to redo it all again!  I have had mine on an ancient Jamis Durango sport for about 3 or 4 years now.  Still works GREAT!  If you don't like the bike you HAVE, hunt around.  you can find a bunch of bikes if you look!

                    Later, you can get a NICE bike and convert it!  Don't worry bout it now!

                    Papa

                    On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM, patel_rahul <patelrahul@...> wrote:
                    I am planning on getting the FreeRadical kit. I do not own a bicycle. Any recommendations on what kind of a 26" bike would fit the best? I am a newbie to bicycles, so would appreciate specific details like model numbers.

                    I will primarily be using the Xtracycle to carry my kid to/from school. I live in an urban area, with pretty much flat terrain.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Family FUN!.....with a twist!

                    Papa Balloon
                  • Morganverbena
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                      I have both a Madsen and a Big Dummy, and have two (large) children. The Madsen excels at child-hauling...the kids get to face each other and play, and only need jackets and a blanket to be warm in the winter. Plus, the younger one can fall asleep on the seat without being in any danger of falling out.

                      I, however, far prefer to ride the Big Dummy. Even with both the kids (which together weigh 170 lbs), I enjoy riding moderate distances without an electric assist. On the Madsen however, I feel like I need an electric assist to enjoy the ride, and can barely sustain 7 or 8 mph without it. On Xena (the bd) I can sustain 12 mph on the flats without straining, with both kids. And Xena is also more versatile...I can carry 4 bags of groceries *and* the kids. On the Madsen, the kids fill up the bucket and don't allow for much more cargo (though I have a big wire basket in front that helps with that).

                      I'm actually about to sell my madsen, so if anyone's interested, give me a ring :)

                      Morgan S.
                      -----------------------
                      Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

                      I happen to be new to the world of cargo bikes (read: not remotely as well or technically versed as most of the people on this list) but I am the recent owner of both a 2010 Kona Ute as well as a 2010 Big Dummy, both of which I use to haul my kid(s) around.

                      IMHO, the Ute is an excellent choice in terms of cost and usability. but seems to lack the longer-term adaptability of something like the Big Dummy. Both are easy to ride, easy on the eyes and can haul a moderate (Ute) to large (BD) amount of stuff.

                      In terms of hauling kids, I have a toddler and an infant so for now, when I haul both, I use a Chariot kid carrier. When it's just the toddler, she sits on the deck with a Stoker bar but for NYC riding, I am adding bars to keep her more locked into the deck.

                      Overall, I think that if you don't have a bike stand in your basement and a full set of tools, then my guess is that the seemingly larger initial cost of something like the Ute or Big Dummy would shrink rapidly as you accounted for the time and parts required to build out something like a Free Radical. As for the Madsen and Yuba, I love the idea of the Madsen and think that it's probably great for moving kids around. But I would be surprised (disclaimer: I have NOT test ridden the Madsen) if it's comfortable for longer rides.

                      Sorry for the ramble - hope any/some of it helps.

                      Regards,
                      Evan
                      NYC

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, 'patel_rahul' <patelrahul@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the input everyone. To add a few parameters:
                      >
                      > * I do not have a donor bike. I would prefer a used donor bike since that would bring the cost down.
                      >
                      > * I am 5'8', so I am guessing that 26' would be the best fit.
                      >
                      > * I am in Orange County, CA.
                      >
                      > Comparing the cost of the Radish vs setting up the Xtracycle myself, I see that there's not much difference. However, the Radish is sold out till Feb 2011, and I can't wait that long.
                      >
                      > A local bike shop does carry the Yuba Mondo. I haven't tried it out yet, however, reading from the reviews I get an impression that the bike would be a bit heavy for my size (5'8', 145 lbs). Any thoughts on that?
                      >
                      > I have also inquired about the 2011 Kona Ute. But no one has them in stock right now. What are the feelings on the Ute? Thanks again.

                      Reply to sender |
                      Reply to group |
                    • Rich
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Looking at the specifications on the Madsen, and reading your post, how is the gearing on it? I note that the gearing seems limited with the single chain ring. I definitely find the triple rings on my Big Dummy useful in an area such as Reno with some hilly areas. The same comment applies to the Radish too IMO. If buying either one I would want to upgrade to a triple crankset and front derailleur.

                        I note that the Yuba Mundo has gone from single chainring originally to triple chainrings on the V3 model. It seems to me like all cargo bikes should have triple chainrings at least as a factory option unless fitted with a wide range geared hub setup.

                        Rich Wood

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Morganverbena <morganverbena@...> wrote:

                        > I have both a Madsen and a Big Dummy, and have two (large) children. The Madsen excels at child-hauling...the kids get to face each other and play, and only need jackets and a blanket to be warm in the winter. Plus, the younger one can fall asleep on the seat without being in any danger of falling out.
                        >
                        > I, however, far prefer to ride the Big Dummy. Even with both the kids (which together weigh 170 lbs), I enjoy riding moderate distances without an electric assist. On the Madsen however, I feel like I need an electric assist to enjoy the ride, and can barely sustain 7 or 8 mph without it. On Xena (the bd) I can sustain 12 mph on the flats without straining, with both kids. And Xena is also more versatile...I can carry 4 bags of groceries *and* the kids. On the Madsen, the kids fill up the bucket and don't allow for much more cargo (though I have a big wire basket in front that helps with that).
                        >
                        > I'm actually about to sell my madsen, so if anyone's interested, give me a ring :)
                        >
                        > Morgan S.
                        > -----------------------
                        > Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

                      • Steven
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                          I'm relatively new to cargo bikes, but am exactly your same size (5'8" and 140-145). I rode a Yuba around and it is a bit much from me, and what i need to do.

                          I am experienced building/repairing bikes so built up a free radical.

                          Initially I used my Redline conquest commuter, but found it too flexy with a toddler, laptop, clothes, etc.
                          I swapped over to a Mtb Dirt jumping frame (Kona Shred M) that i got for 30 bucks off craigslist. These 'free-ride" or dirt jump frames are super stiff in the bottom bracket and chain and seat stays- so the FrankenX is now nice and stiff. I am sure you could find a used complete free-ride/dirt jump bike like the Shred for cheap-they are pretty specialist things, so lots of folks buy them and later unload 'em as they don't get used much.

                          Another 20 bucks i found a 29er rigid front fork, which relaxes the steering on the frame...its perfect now.
                          Added an electric-assist rear hub, and i'm a happy commuter.

                          Took about 3 hours to swap over all the parts, and the free-radical- again i'm experienced working on bikes, but it isn't that bad if you can at minimum adjust a derailleur and change your cables- and have access to tools- mostly allen wrenches