Recommendations on towing a bicycle w/ Xtracycle?

  • reikiman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
      HI, last weekend I wanted to tow one of my bicycles to the shop and tried doing it with my xtracycle bike. It worked pretty well but I wonder if anybody else has tried this and has some suggestions.

      I tied both the handlebars and frame of the towed bicycle to the xtracycle. I didn't sense it made the towed bicycle do anything like drag on the ground, and it seemed to trail along behind me pretty well. But it did seem to shift slightly during the ride and at the end it was leaning slightly more than when I left.

      Pictures and writeup: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/9847-bicycle-towing-xtracycleized-bike

      + David Herron
      http://visforvoltage.org
    • Pete Beers
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
        I do this all the time and decided to be more formal with my set-up.  I use wideloaders and a roof rack bike kit or kits.  I've carried as many as 4 bikes, but usually only carry 1 at a time.  If you go that route, it helps to run a strap from the wideloader to the seatpost to the top of your Freeloaders.  With all that linkage and the bike sitting out from the center line a bit, it can get a little wobbly if you don't tie things up fairly tightly.

        Pete

      • oohrrah
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete Beers <pete.beers@...> wrote:

          > I do this all the time and decided to be more formal with my set-up. I use
          > wideloaders and a roof rack bike kit or kits. I've carried as many as 4
          > bikes, but usually only carry 1 at a time. If you go that route, it helps
          > to run a strap from the wideloader to the seatpost to the top of your
          > Freeloaders. With all that linkage and the bike sitting out from the center
          > line a bit, it can get a little wobbly if you don't tie things up fairly
          > tightly.
          >
          > Pete

          I've done the same with a fork lock. I have seen pictures of a bike tow using a fork lock mounted down by the rear cross member of the Xrta frame. http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ghtownsend/Xtracycle/
        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
            On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:34 AM, reikiman <davidh@...> wrote:
            HI, last weekend I wanted to tow one of my bicycles to the shop and tried doing it with my xtracycle bike.  It worked pretty well but I wonder if anybody else has tried this and has some suggestions.

            I took a look at your write-up and photos, which were great.  Let me compare your hook-up with how I've done it in the past.

            You really tied that sucker in there good.  That's great, but I think you may have done too good of a job.  I imagine that the forces applied to the towed bike's rear wheel while turning were applying force to the frame, which wasn't able to move freely.

            When I tow a bike, I only tie in the front wheel.  It sounds like it might be too loosey-goosey, but it works great.  It's a lot like a fork-mount rack but without the hassle of removing the front wheel.  Just drop the wheel in the freeloader, pull the center strap over the wheel at about 11 o'clock, and pull the rear strap over the wheel at around 2pm.  Then, and here's the key, take a bungee or cam strap and wrap it around your V-rack and the front wheel of the towed bike at about the 4pm mark.  The front wheel is now 3-point mounted to your Xtracycle, and the frame and back wheel can track any way you want.  The towed bike can now articulate as well, which may increase your cornering clearance.  The only thing I typically add is a rag inbetween the towed bikes' fork and the V-rack to reduce the rub factor.

            Here's a weird pano photo of my towing setup.  http://twitpic.com/6nls3    I've used it to pull 'cross bikes, 29ers and one heavy, steel cruiser.