Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Dynamo Front Wheel

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
      On 2010-09-23, at 12:07 PM, Rich wrote:
      > David did not indicate if his B&M S12 was out of warranty or not but it seems that these days with most things if the warranty is up you are SOL as far as repair or free/discounted replacement of items is concerned

      The initial seal failure was well within a year; I got the impression that I had broken an unwritten rule, from the feedback I finally got, because in mounting the dynamo on the free radical, it was insufficiently vertical to keep water out. I eventually bought a Zinkins mount for the front, which broke, and I replaced it, and that one broke, too.

      For a while I used a vastly less expensive Varta (?) dynamo, which never failed exactly, but the catch holding it off the wheel eventually broke. However, I have two of these on my kids bikes, and they have not failed yet.

      I bought a Shimano Dynamo hub, and I have been happy ever since.

      I am a little worried about my ability to rebuild, or not, the bearings; I am hoping that the electrical side is sealed, because I poked at it a little (very carefully) and decided that there were no user serviceable parts in there.

      As far as warranty goes, the story nowadays seems to be that even if there is a warranty, nobody is going to volunteer that information, even if you go back to the place where you bought (say) your expensive IGH and mention that it failed utterly in about a year, and is there anything I can do to take care of it. (That was Harris -- as you may have noticed, I will not be shy about naming names when things fall short of expectations.)

      > In many cases, such as for consumer electronics such as TVs, after 3 years shops cannot even get some replacement parts as many ICs used in mass produced electronics are custom parts. Many items are glued or sonic welded together so are not readily disassemblable for repair.

      David
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
        If it was not in the installation instructions then IMO the dynamo should have been replaced under warranty. ALL mounting requirements should be covered in provided documentation.

        Rich Wood