Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Dummy business - update

  • Fearghas McKay
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
      On 3 Oct 2010, at 21:31, WT wrote:

      > I'm hoping to function without the trailer, that's one of the main reasons I made the additional rack. Although, I think certain loads would still allow for a trailer also and I wasn't very impressed with the kid trailer as a load hauler so the bamboo trailer could be an option. More over, if I learn how to work with bamboo that might be a good way for me to prototype future add-ons!

      The Bamboo part is merely a concept ie you could build it out of bamboo but the design will work for CLS, aluminium section, polypipe, metal conduit, or most rigid materials. It gives you a design that you can attach using materials to hand - so your return on capital can be maximised! Although Nick does build really rather nice trailers for sale, margin is king in business :-)

      PS and of course Cash is Emperor :-)
    • oohrrah
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
        I removed all of the fabric from my kid trailer & put down a plywood floor. The trailer is a lot more useful for cargo. GT http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ghtownsend/Bicycles/Bicycle015.jpg

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WT" <watrout@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Fearghas,
        >
        > I'm hoping to function without the trailer, that's one of the main reasons I made the additional rack. Although, I think certain loads would still allow for a trailer also and I wasn't very impressed with the kid trailer as a load hauler so the bamboo trailer could be an option. More over, if I learn how to work with bamboo that might be a good way for me to prototype future add-ons!
        >
        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Fearghas McKay <fm-lists@> wrote:
        > >

        > > On 3 Oct 2010, at 17:31, WT wrote:
        > >
        > > > Thanks again to everyone for your input. I'm still very busy trying to get the details ironed out with my new business venture but I thought I'd take a break to post a link to one of my first (commercial) custom mod tests.
        > >
        > > You might want to look at http://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html for plans for easy to build trailers that will improve your load carry over the kid trailer.
        > >
        > > Nick makes the designs free if you tell him what you want to do with it, so he can use the info for market research. A group of 10 of us built 10 in two evenings in Edinburgh earlier in the summer, not pretty but they carry lots and were not expensive as they were made out of CLS and a couple bits of metal plus two wheels. http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenerleith/sets/72157624247844624/
        > >
        > > Good luck with the launch!
        > >
        > > HTH

      • John Wilde
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
          I was thinking about doing the same with my Burley Flat bed cargo trailer.  I wasn't planning on getting rid of the fabric part of the trailer as much as I was thinking of making a plywood base to use with the Burley.
          Blessings,