Re: [rootsradicals] OT: longer wheelbase, but lightweight frame?

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27 5:20 AM
      Hi Phil;

      Keep an eye out for early MTB frames, they often have a *very* long wheel base, my previous cargo bike was a first generation Repco Himalaya which had 20.5" chain stays.

      One winter I set it up with Big Apple 26x2.5 tyres *and* full coverage mudguards.

      Only thing to keep an eye out for (other then the usual with 2nd hand frames) is the canti bosses often have the hold for the brake spring on the opposite side to what is standard now, which is not a problem if the frame comes with the original brakes. Or you can source canti or V-brakes which don't use an exposed spring.

      Cheers

      Joel

      On 09/27/10 08:24, poppamando wrote:

      I've been yearning for a more "standard" size frame to ride about town without the weight and size of my X. However, I always miss the stability of the long wheelbase of my X when riding something "standard" (our Trek 930, for example). I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something that's lightweight, stable, and able to move quickly when desired. I mostly commute around town, but take longer rides from time to time. No touring in my immediate future. I don't have much experience with recumbents, but I'm not sure that's the way I want to go.

      Thanks,
      Phil