Re: [rootsradicals] Want a hard pannier on the BD - any ideas?

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24 8:07 AM
      Here are some ideas:

      - Pelican cases are very tough and waterproof so if you can get a mounting system you are happy with I'd consider them
      - military ammo cans come in all sizes and are even tougher, but heavier
      - almost any motorcycle top case will work.  Should come with a mounting plate you can bolt to your snapdeck.  Should lock and pop on and off easy.

      On 2010-09-24, at 5:25 AM, Adam wrote:

      Hi all,

      I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike. I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly. Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier. They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now). It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..

      I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.

      Thanks,
      Adam

    • Gerry Townsend
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25 9:36 PM

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4840170223/in/photostream/

        I found this wandering through flickr. GT

        I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike.  I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly.  Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier.  They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now).  It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..

        I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.

        Thanks,
        Adam

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Rich
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          It looks like the owner has mounted a hard shell motorcycle tail trunk to the Xtracycle rear deck. There is also a smaller version I have seen for sale that is specifically intended for mounting to bicycle racks.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Townsend <g.townsend@...> wrote:

          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4840170223/in/photostream/
          >
          > I found this wandering through flickr. GT

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
            That's exactly what I was referring to in my reply to the OP last week. That looks great on there!

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
              Have you considered a lockable tool box? I bought one with a slide-out
              handle and wheels, which fits on my Big Dummy's wide loader with the free
              loader straps holding it in place. It has two metal clamp-down style
              latches, which can have a lock slid into their holes. I do not have it
              "permanently" attached, but I have considered drilling some holes and
              using U-bolts with wing nuts screwed on within the inside to attach the
              tool case to the wide-loaders and V-racks.
              The tool case I have is hard black plastic except for the metal lockable
              latches. I bought it from Lowes or home Depot for $20-$30 to actually
              store my tools at home, but I made sure it was as big a case as it could
              be to comfortably use on my Big Dummy as a secure hard case if I ever
              wanted to.
              I was in Lowes a couple of days ago and was eyeing some other tool cases
              because of this thread. One case in particular I noticed was waterproof
              with an O-ring style seal all around its lid lip. That case I saw was
              smaller than the one I have, but still a decent size. In fact it was big
              enough to put on the ground and use it as a small bench seat if desired.
              It too had metal lockable latches and was made of thick black plastic.
              When I looked at that case I though a rubberized metal wire cable could
              be run around the V-racks, then through the latch holes and locked. That
              way it would not be necessary to permanently attach the case to the bike,
              yet it would still be convenient to secure to the case to the bike when
              desired.

              Hope this suggestion helps.