Want a hard pannier on the BD - any ideas?

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
      Hi all,

      I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike. I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly. Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier. They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now). It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..

      I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.

      Thanks,
      Adam
    • Vik Banerjee
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
        Here are some ideas:

        - Pelican cases are very tough and waterproof so if you can get a mounting system you are happy with I'd consider them
        - military ammo cans come in all sizes and are even tougher, but heavier
        - almost any motorcycle top case will work.  Should come with a mounting plate you can bolt to your snapdeck.  Should lock and pop on and off easy.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
          Not quite what you're after, but I'm sure anxious to see Donkey Boxx:

          http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2009/10/430-donkey-boxx.html

          I've been checking their website every month or so for quite a while.
          Not much news though. Anyone know more?
          http://donkeyboxx.com/

          On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Adam <adamfkimball@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike.  I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly.  Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier.  They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now).  It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..
          >
          > I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Adam

        • Vik Banerjee
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
            Cool....you could do something out of plywood to get better security if you don't mind a bit of weight?

            On 2010-09-24, at 8:54 AM, Tom Parker wrote:

            Not quite what you're after, but I'm sure anxious to see Donkey Boxx:

            http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2009/10/430-donkey-boxx.html

            I've been checking their website every month or so for quite a while.
            Not much news though. Anyone know more?
            http://donkeyboxx.com/

            On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Adam <adamfkimball@...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike.  I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly.  Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier.  They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now).  It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..
            >
            > I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Adam

          • Ty Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
              You might try bike bins:

              http://www.bikebins.com/index.html

              Not as big as what you are looking for, but I bet you could fit two per side on an xtracycle, as these are about the same size as Ortlieb's, and I know you can fit two per side of those.

              Good luck!

              Ty

              To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              From: tompstash@...
              Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:54:09 -0800
              Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Want a hard pannier on the BD - any ideas?

              Not quite what you're after, but I'm sure anxious to see Donkey Boxx:

              http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2009/10/430-donkey-boxx.html

              I've been checking their website every month or so for quite a while.
              Not much news though. Anyone know more?
              http://donkeyboxx.com/

              On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Adam <adamfkimball@...> wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike.  I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly.  Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier.  They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now).  It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..
              >
              > I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Adam

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
                Since you are familiar with BMW's bike boxes, do any of GIVI's products meet your needs? The base could be bolted to the bicycle and the locking mechanism that locks the lid also locks the case to the base. If you used the snapdeck clamps that require tools to open, you could attach the case over the screw heads to make it more secure. Plus, it wouldn't look as much like a camera case.

                http://www.giviusa.com

                Be sure to show us photos of what you end up with.

                Steve

                On Sep 24, 2010, at 8:25 AM, Adam wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike. I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly. Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier. They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now). It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..
                >
                > I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Adam
              • Gerry Townsend
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 25, 2010

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4840170223/in/photostream/

                  I found this wandering through flickr. GT

                  I'd like to rig up a hard case on my Big Dummy for camera gear and other items that either need some protection from the elements or simply for things I'd like to leave safely on the bike.  I've seen a video online about using a pelican case along with Ortlieb pannier mounts, but I'm looking for something a little more burly.  Having been a long-time BMW motorcycle rider, what I would really like is something like their lockable pannier.  They store a fair amount of stuff, lock, and nicest of all come on and off easily (though this isn't a requirement for me right now).  It might be as simple as a Pelican case bolted onto the frame - I'm just in an exploratory phase right now..

                  I'd love to hear any stories, ideas, insights.

                  Thanks,
                  Adam

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                    It looks like the owner has mounted a hard shell motorcycle tail trunk to the Xtracycle rear deck. There is also a smaller version I have seen for sale that is specifically intended for mounting to bicycle racks.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Townsend <g.townsend@...> wrote:

                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4840170223/in/photostream/
                    >
                    > I found this wandering through flickr. GT

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                      That's exactly what I was referring to in my reply to the OP last week. That looks great on there!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                        Have you considered a lockable tool box? I bought one with a slide-out
                        handle and wheels, which fits on my Big Dummy's wide loader with the free
                        loader straps holding it in place. It has two metal clamp-down style
                        latches, which can have a lock slid into their holes. I do not have it
                        "permanently" attached, but I have considered drilling some holes and
                        using U-bolts with wing nuts screwed on within the inside to attach the
                        tool case to the wide-loaders and V-racks.
                        The tool case I have is hard black plastic except for the metal lockable
                        latches. I bought it from Lowes or home Depot for $20-$30 to actually
                        store my tools at home, but I made sure it was as big a case as it could
                        be to comfortably use on my Big Dummy as a secure hard case if I ever
                        wanted to.
                        I was in Lowes a couple of days ago and was eyeing some other tool cases
                        because of this thread. One case in particular I noticed was waterproof
                        with an O-ring style seal all around its lid lip. That case I saw was
                        smaller than the one I have, but still a decent size. In fact it was big
                        enough to put on the ground and use it as a small bench seat if desired.
                        It too had metal lockable latches and was made of thick black plastic.
                        When I looked at that case I though a rubberized metal wire cable could
                        be run around the V-racks, then through the latch holes and locked. That
                        way it would not be necessary to permanently attach the case to the bike,
                        yet it would still be convenient to secure to the case to the bike when
                        desired.

                        Hope this suggestion helps.