NuVinci N360 Finally Available

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
      This hub has been discussed here.

      AEBike is showing the N360 as finally available for actual order. Price is $294.99 + shipping. They list 32 & 36 spoke silver and 36 hole black variations as available. With the redesign compared to the NuVinci CVP it should be a much easier fit to a Xtracycle Freeradical.

      http://aebike.com/product-list/nuvinci-b703/internally-geared-hubs-t475-qc30/

      Rich Wood
    • jtrops
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
        I have to admit this new hub is much more interesting to me. It's lighter, has more range, and is more adaptable to my "Dummy." I may have one in my future. I'm also intrigued by running it with a belt drive.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > This hub has been discussed here.
        >
        > AEBike is showing the N360 as finally available for actual order. Price is $294.99 + shipping. They list 32 & 36 spoke silver and 36 hole black variations as available. With the redesign compared to the NuVinci CVP it should be a much easier fit to a Xtracycle Freeradical.
        >
        > http://aebike.com/product-list/nuvinci-b703/internally-geared-hubs-t475-qc30/
        >
        > Rich Wood

      • Nathan Klatt
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
          On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:
          > I'm also intrigued by running it with a belt drive.

          Warning! A NuVinci + belt drive may result in DANGEROUS levels of smoothness!!!
        • Pete B
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
            A belt drive on the dummy?
            How do you plan on getting the belt loop around the rear stays?
            AFAIK belt drives require a purpose built frame with a split or removable seat stay to allow fitting of the belt.

            'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

            On 12 September 2010 06:27, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:

            I have to admit this new hub is much more interesting to me. It's lighter, has more range, and is more adaptable to my "Dummy." I may have one in my future. I'm also intrigued by running it with a belt drive.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            > This hub has been discussed here.
            >
            > AEBike is showing the N360 as finally available for actual order. Price is $294.99 + shipping. They list 32 & 36 spoke silver and 36 hole black variations as available. With the redesign compared to the NuVinci CVP it should be a much easier fit to a Xtracycle Freeradical.
            >
            > http://aebike.com/product-list/nuvinci-b703/internally-geared-hubs-t475-qc30/
            >
            > Rich Wood

          • jtrops
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
              As yet I have dreams and no plan. I wonder if you couldn't just put a guide pulley on to guide both sides of the belt. I'm thinking something like a chain tensioner with a ghost gear to keep the two sides of the belt from touching each other. This kind of setup would probably not work on a regular bike, but on the Dummy it seems possible.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:

              > A belt drive on the dummy?
              > How do you plan on getting the belt loop around the rear stays?
              > AFAIK belt drives require a purpose built frame with a split or removable
              > seat stay to allow fitting of the belt.
              >

              > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
              > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
              > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
              > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
              > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill
              >

              > On 12 September 2010 06:27, jtrops <jtrops@...> wrote:
              >

              > > I have to admit this new hub is much more interesting to me. It's lighter,
              > > has more range, and is more adaptable to my "Dummy." I may have one in my
              > > future. I'm also intrigued by running it with a belt drive.
              > >

              > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This hub has been discussed here.
              > > >
              > > > AEBike is showing the N360 as finally available for actual order. Price
              > > is $294.99 + shipping. They list 32 & 36 spoke silver and 36 hole black
              > > variations as available. With the redesign compared to the NuVinci CVP it
              > > should be a much easier fit to a Xtracycle Freeradical.
              > > >

              > > http://aebike.com/product-list/nuvinci-b703/internally-geared-hubs-t475-qc30/
              > > >
              > > > Rich Wood

            • philip_b_chase
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                You need either a split in the chain or seat stay or an elevated chain stay. The Dummy has many things, but none of those. Even Surly's blurb on 2011 Big Dummy makes no mention of such a thing.

                That said, I find this interesting. A cleaner chain would be nice on a bike with no chain case. Surly, are you listening? BD 2013, perhaps?

                Philip

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                  Seems to me that you could do it with a tensioner for the return belt forward-above the front wideloader tube. That might complicate wheel removal, but would completely avoid any center stand that you had. And if the tension arm had some sort of a release, then not so much trouble there, either.

                  Do note, I am doing ok with an IGH + Chain case right now. None of it is stock (I had to make little anti-snag cuff ramps on the chain case itself out of Fimo/Sculpey), but it works very well. No snags whatsoever. I'm thinking about a Rohloff, one of these years.

                  David

                  On 2010-09-12, at 11:47 AM, philip_b_chase wrote:
                  > You need either a split in the chain or seat stay or an elevated chain stay. The Dummy has many things, but none of those. Even Surly's blurb on 2011 Big Dummy makes no mention of such a thing.
                  >
                  > That said, I find this interesting. A cleaner chain would be nice on a bike with no chain case. Surly, are you listening? BD 2013, perhaps?
                  >
                  > Philip
                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                    I doubt that Gates makes a belt version any where near long enough for a longtail bike yet. IIRC the belt is only available in four lengths plus a special Tandem version.

                    Universal Cycles seems to stock most available Gates belt drive parts if you want to take a look.

                    http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=gates

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "philip_b_chase" <philipbchase@...> wrote:

                    > You need either a split in the chain or seat stay or an elevated chain stay. The Dummy has many things, but none of those. Even Surly's blurb on 2011 Big Dummy makes no mention of such a thing.
                    >
                    > That said, I find this interesting. A cleaner chain would be nice on a bike with no chain case. Surly, are you listening? BD 2013, perhaps?
                    >
                    > Philip
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B <nackterman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A belt drive on the dummy?
                    > > How do you plan on getting the belt loop around the rear stays?
                    > > AFAIK belt drives require a purpose built frame with a split or removable
                    > > seat stay to allow fitting of the belt.
                    > >

                    > > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
                    > > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
                    > > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
                    > > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
                    > > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

                  • phaedrus at yahoo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                      If one were feeling skilled, they could set up a jack shaft like the Chupacabra
                      (http://www.ridingthespine.com/Journey/category/chupacabra)

                      I think that would solve the issue of getting it on and off as well as
                      permitting tensioning and managing to deal with the available lengths.

                      phaedrus

                      On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                      > I doubt that Gates makes a belt version any where near long enough for a longtail bike yet. IIRC the belt is only available in four lengths plus a special Tandem version.
                      >
                      > Universal Cycles seems to stock most available Gates belt drive parts if you want to take a look.
                      >
                      > http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=gates
                      >
                      > Rich Wood
                      >
                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "philip_b_chase" <philipbchase@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > You need either a split in the chain or seat stay or an elevated chain stay. The Dummy has many things, but none of those. Even Surly's blurb on 2011 Big Dummy makes no mention of such a thing.
                      > >
                      > > That said, I find this interesting. A cleaner chain would be nice on a bike with no chain case. Surly, are you listening? BD 2013, perhaps?
                      > >
                      > > Philip
                      > >
                      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B <nackterman@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > A belt drive on the dummy?
                      > > > How do you plan on getting the belt loop around the rear stays?
                      > > > AFAIK belt drives require a purpose built frame with a split or removable
                      > > > seat stay to allow fitting of the belt.
                      > > >

                      > > > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
                      > > > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
                      > > > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
                      > > > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
                      > > > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

                    • anthonyeberger
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
                        The guys at Schlick Cycles have been trying to get Gates to make a longer bike for their Shark. Thus far no luck and the Shark is much shorter than a BD so even if you could get a BD with a split for the belt, you wouldn't be able to get the right belt size.

                        Two belts would be interesting but probably too complex to make it worth while. Not to mention $$$. I just got a belt cog for my 4 speed TREK Soho (prototype) and it was almost $100 with very minimal mark up from my LBS!

                        I love my two belt drive IGH's but have to see they require a lot more tinkering and trial and error than any chain I have had....and I'm starting to enjoy tuning gears more which is just scary.

                        Tony B.