Re: Super Heavy Duty Wheels?

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
      > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

      Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.
    • Vik Banerjee
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
        I think they still are doing 48 spoke Rohloff mods:

        However, as Nate noted I don't think there is any need for it.

        safe riding,

        On 2010-09-04, at 6:20 AM, speedub_nate wrote:

        > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

        Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.

      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
          Just echoing what Vik has written, I've been running my Xtracycle for about 2.5yrs using 36h Sun Rhyno Lites and a Shimano XT hub in the rear, and Shimano dynamo hub in front. I've carried all kinds of loads and both wheels (built by Harris Cyclery) are still as true as the day I got them. Been very pleased. I really question whether anything more than 36h and a decent MTB rim is necessary, but "that's just me" and I'd hate to get in the way of someone's bike lust. There are no wrong answers, just more and less expensive ones :-)

          Steve

          On 2010-09-04, at 6:20 AM, speedub_nate wrote:

          > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

          Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
            I am getting ready to do my own 36 spoke dynamo front wheel for the Big Dummy. Using a 36 hole Alfine dyno front hub and a Salsa Gordo front rim. I chose the rim based on the fact that it is the same as the original rims on the Big Dummy. According to Salsa it is their strongest 26" rim. I also know from experience that Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are easy to mount on the Gordo rims.

            Rich Wood