Trek transport

  • evanfhlewis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      Does anyone have any intelligence on the upcoming Trek Transport from the Gary Fisher Collection? I love the look and like (or at least used to) the Gary Fisher name but I don't think it's compatible with the Xtracycle standard and as I am just about to take delivery on my new 22" Big Dummy, it's a while before I am going to be back in the market for a 3rd (I also have a Kona Ute) cargo bike.

      http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/gary_fisher_collection/urban_utility/transport/
    • Vik Banerjee
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
        Looks like a poorly thought out cargo bike. Having so much of the cargo area behind the rear wheel is going to make the handling interesting when fully loaded.

        Safe riding,

        Vik

        Sent from my iPhon

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
          On 2010-09-03, at 12:57 PM, evanfhlewis wrote:

          > Does anyone have any intelligence on the upcoming Trek Transport from the Gary Fisher Collection?...

          > http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/gary_fisher_collection/urban_utility/transport/

          Slightly different question, when I scroll down to the bottom of that page, I see them flogging the component brands, among them SRAM and Bontrager. Am I mistaken in thinking that these brands are not all they claim? I had an expensive SRAM hub (iMotion 9) die on me after a mere 3500 miles, and the one time I tested the rolling resistance of Bontrager tires, it was higher than a tire twice the size and half the pressure (Schwalbe Big Apple). Only time I had a rock cut my tire, to the point of ruining the tire, it was a Bontrager tire.

          Do I just have a dark cloud of bad luck following me around, or are these particular brands all hat, no cattle?

          David
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
            Looking at the photo I note how much of the pannier is behind the rear axle and even extends well aft of the rear edge of the wheel and tire. Normally a load this far aft is to be avoided on any bike carrying a rear placed load. This is about the worst location. The photo I have seen of the motorized version also has the battery placesd high and to the rear. Overall not a well thought out arrangement for a cargo bike IMO.

            Be interesting to put 50+ pounds in each rear pannier and see what that did to the feel and handling. One reason I bought my Big Dummy was due to what trying to carry two bags of groceries in rear mounted grocery panniers did to the feel and handling of my Swobo Dixon. If the panniers were moved forward at all there was a problem with heel strike.

            Rich Wood

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
              Bontrager is a Trek owned name or subsidiary I believe. They are going to push their own parts on the Trek web site.

              I keep hearing that the SRAM IGH units use poorer materials than when they were Sachs hubs but I am not sure if it is true or not. I see enough complaints of Shimano parts failing too that I am not sure if they are any better than SRAM.

              Rich Wood