700cc FreeLoader kit for sale plus question

  • PaulaM
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
      Hey peops,

      I've got a 700cc Freeloader ala 2007 available for sale. It was on display in the shop where work and never used beyond that. It is my recollection that it is complete with the exception of the toungue bolt and stickers. $175 plus shipping and it is all yours; you arrange for shipping.

      Question: We are revamping our xtra presence and need a second bike for test rides. I find that potential cargo bikers are intimidated by the my Big Dummy - especially women - and am thinking that a Radish might be the answer. What is your experience?

      You may contact me at paulamcconnell@....

      Keep riding -
      Paula
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
        Paula;

        Your choice depends on the price range being aimed at in part.

        Either the Radish or an Xtracycle build on a Mixte frame or one built on the Rans Fusion ST frame would be my suggestion.

        http://www.ransbikes.com/FusionST10.htm

        The Rans could have the advantages of being a step through frame with a seat angle which allows putting the feet flat on the ground while seated on the bike while still having correct saddle height. Probably the least intimidating version possible from a mounting, dismounting and riding standpoint I would think. The disadvantage would be the added overall length in a Xtracycle configuration.

        Modern steel Mixte frames at fairly reasonable prices are available from Soma and Velo Orange.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "PaulaM" <paulamcconnell@...> wrote:

        > Hey peops,
        >
        > I've got a 700cc Freeloader ala 2007 available for sale. It was on display in the shop where work and never used beyond that. It is my recollection that it is complete with the exception of the toungue bolt and stickers. $175 plus shipping and it is all yours; you arrange for shipping.
        >
        > Question: We are revamping our xtra presence and need a second bike for test rides. I find that potential cargo bikers are intimidated by the my Big Dummy - especially women - and am thinking that a Radish might be the answer. What is your experience?
        >
        > You may contact me at paulamcconnell@...
        >
        > Keep riding -
        > Paula

      • Sam Knight
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
          For test riding I would think you'd want something that feels accessible to a potential rider.  To me the Radish is a very good unisex friendly bike with the townie bars, fenders, chain guard, and matched paint.  It looks more "friendly" than your average mtn bike cockpit setup conversion.  Though they are sold out of the 2010 Radish already, you might want to have something that people could try out, then actually buy before February, unless you are planning longer term.

          People seem to think my freerad conversion is approachable, I've had a number of people (men and women of various ages) tell me they'd love to try riding it.  The frame I use is a curvy aluminum cruiser frame (Trek Cruiser Classic), so it's got sort laid back fun look to it.  It's like a reverse mullet, business in the back and a party up front.

          -Sam

          On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM, PaulaM <paulamcconnell@...> wrote:

          Hey peops,

          I've got a 700cc Freeloader ala 2007 available for sale. It was on display in the shop where work and never used beyond that. It is my recollection that it is complete with the exception of the toungue bolt and stickers. $175 plus shipping and it is all yours; you arrange for shipping.

          Question: We are revamping our xtra presence and need a second bike for test rides. I find that potential cargo bikers are intimidated by the my Big Dummy - especially women - and am thinking that a Radish might be the answer. What is your experience?

          You may contact me at paulamcconnell@....

          Keep riding -
          Paula

        • Dallas Wisehaupt
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2010
            Hi Paula,

            Is this actually a 700c free radical kit? If so, I'm very interested. I currently have a 700c wheel snug in a 26" free rad and it works but often rubs when loaded. I'd love to swap out the free rad and keep the bike instead of shopping for a whole new setup.

            Could you let me know what all would be included?

            Look forward to hearing from you.

            Dallas

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2010
              Dallas -- there's no difference in the rubbing, it is only the location of the V-brake mounts.
              One "solution" to your problem is to go to a rear 26" wheel, disk brakes, with a Big Apple 2.35" tire. It is fractionally smaller than a 700c x 35, but will eat all bumps and potholes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

              David

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2010
                David,

                Ah, interesting and good to know. I'm currently running a 700c x 35 marathon plus with the vbrake adapter on a 26" free rad. I had been looking for a new donor bike but a rear wheel and tire sounds like it may be a more economical route.

                For some reason I thought the 700c free rad had a bulb out on the back bar to accommodate the larger tire. Can't think of where I got that idea.

                Dallas