RE: [rootsradicals] Super Heavy Duty Wheels?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
      Rich,
      I have a set of 26” Aerospoke brand disc brake compatible carbon fiber
      wheels. I have had them for several years on my previous
      Univega-Xtracycle set up and now on my Big Dummy. I use to work as a
      messenger in NYC and I love my Aerospokes. They are extremely strong as
      you can see in this photo of the heaviest load I have carried (I strongly
      discourage anyone from attempting such a load!):
      http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg

      Not only do my Aerospokes seem bomb proof (and I have had accidents with
      them), but you never have to worry about truing spokes and it is way
      easier to run a chain/lock through the wheel. My only gripe with them is
      I can not slip spoke cards into the spokes or connect fancy persistence
      of vision pattern lights.

      I would imagine a number of people on this list might not really like
      Aerospokes either because you would not be able to use internal hubs or
      electric-assist based hubs. They are also pretty pricey, but considering
      they are so low maintenance and they have functioned fine over tens of
      thousands of miles… I would personally keep my Aerospokes and pedal than
      install a powered hub. That is actually one of the reasons I have held
      off on the Bionx electric assist system. Of course a Stoke Monkey could
      work with my current Aerospokes, but if I went the electric route I
      personally like the techy advantages the Bionx offers.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
        The Aerospoke wheels look like an elegant, if expensive, solution compared to a 48 spoke wheelset which I could build myself and have the front one incorporate a dynamo hub too. IIRC the SON hub dynamo is available in a 48 spoke configuration.

        Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

        Rich Wood

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

        > Rich,
        > I have a set of 26" Aerospoke brand disc brake compatible carbon fiber
        > wheels. I have had them for several years on my previous
        > Univega-Xtracycle set up and now on my Big Dummy. I use to work as a
        > messenger in NYC and I love my Aerospokes. They are extremely strong as
        > you can see in this photo of the heaviest load I have carried (I strongly
        > discourage anyone from attempting such a load!):
        > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg
        >
        > Not only do my Aerospokes seem bomb proof (and I have had accidents with
        > them), but you never have to worry about truing spokes and it is way
        > easier to run a chain/lock through the wheel. My only gripe with them is
        > I can not slip spoke cards into the spokes or connect fancy persistence
        > of vision pattern lights.
        >
        > I would imagine a number of people on this list might not really like
        > Aerospokes either because you would not be able to use internal hubs or
        > electric-assist based hubs. They are also pretty pricey, but considering
        > they are so low maintenance and they have functioned fine over tens of
        > thousands of miles… I would personally keep my Aerospokes and pedal than
        > install a powered hub. That is actually one of the reasons I have held
        > off on the Bionx electric assist system. Of course a Stoke Monkey could
        > work with my current Aerospokes, but if I went the electric route I
        > personally like the techy advantages the Bionx offers.
        >
        > Ride safe,
        > _TONE_

      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
          > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

          Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.
        • Vik Banerjee
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
            I think they still are doing 48 spoke Rohloff mods:

            However, as Nate noted I don't think there is any need for it.

            safe riding,

            On 2010-09-04, at 6:20 AM, speedub_nate wrote:

            > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

            Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.

          • Steve Lange
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
              Just echoing what Vik has written, I've been running my Xtracycle for about 2.5yrs using 36h Sun Rhyno Lites and a Shimano XT hub in the rear, and Shimano dynamo hub in front. I've carried all kinds of loads and both wheels (built by Harris Cyclery) are still as true as the day I got them. Been very pleased. I really question whether anything more than 36h and a decent MTB rim is necessary, but "that's just me" and I'd hate to get in the way of someone's bike lust. There are no wrong answers, just more and less expensive ones :-)

              Steve

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                I am getting ready to do my own 36 spoke dynamo front wheel for the Big Dummy. Using a 36 hole Alfine dyno front hub and a Salsa Gordo front rim. I chose the rim based on the fact that it is the same as the original rims on the Big Dummy. According to Salsa it is their strongest 26" rim. I also know from experience that Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are easy to mount on the Gordo rims.

                Rich Wood