Super Heavy Duty Wheels?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
      Has anyone built a set of super heavy duty Xtracycle wheels? I note that Phil Wood has their "Touring" and "Tandem" hubs available in 48 spoke configuration front and rear and the Salsa Gordo 26" rim is available in a 48 spoke version. It appears that they could be combined to make a pair of virtually bulletproof cargo bike wheels.

      Rich Wood
    • Vik Banerjee
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
        The rear wheel on my Big Dummy rolls on 32H Mavic EN321 rim....I use an IGH so my rear wheel is not dished.  I've overloaded that wheel with multiple passengers and excess cargo often, toured on a poor dirt road with a heavy load for hundreds of KMs and the wheel hasn't needed any love.

        I just use a standard MTB wheel up front with 32H Mavic X717 rim.  The front wheel doesn't see any crazy heavy loads from the cargo out back so no need for a heavy duty wheel/rim.  It also hasn't had any issues in a number of years of hard use.

        safe riding,

        On 2010-09-02, at 12:59 AM, Rich wrote:

        Has anyone built a set of super heavy duty Xtracycle wheels? I note that Phil Wood has their "Touring" and "Tandem" hubs available in 48 spoke configuration front and rear and the Salsa Gordo 26" rim is available in a 48 spoke version. It appears that they could be combined to make a pair of virtually bulletproof cargo bike wheels.

        Rich Wood

      • DaneB
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
          Cut and pasted judiciously from previous threads:
          I've been using a 48 spoke rear wheel for a couple years with zero problems.
          The wheel hasn't even had to be trued since I built it. And I routinely carry
          100-200 pounds of people + cargo. I've exceeded 500 pounds of gross vehicle
          weight on quite a few occasions.

          I recommend a good tandem rim plus a 48 spoke downhill hub. They come in 135 mm
          spacing, so they are zero trouble to use on the Xtra.

          Tandem hubs are generally 145mm or greater spacing. The free radical
          has 135mm spacing. There are hubs that have 135mm and 48 spoke, but
          they are uncommon (thus the downhill hub recommendation).

          Halo Spin Doctor Pro 48 hole hub - 135mm OLD - $105
          http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32034

          I used the Gusset Jury hub (which is even beefier), but I haven't been
          able to find those for a while.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone built a set of super heavy duty Xtracycle wheels? I note that Phil Wood has their "Touring" and "Tandem" hubs available in 48 spoke configuration front and rear and the Salsa Gordo 26" rim is available in a 48 spoke version. It appears that they could be combined to make a pair of virtually bulletproof cargo bike wheels.
          >
          > Rich Wood

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
            The Phil Wood Touring and Tandem rear hubs are available in 135mm width and the Tandem version is available with a disc mount too per the PW web site.

            It looks like the Halo hub may be a lot better priced than Phil Wood hubs but Phil's have a reputation for being bullet proof.

            Rich Wood

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
              Rich,
              I have a set of 26” Aerospoke brand disc brake compatible carbon fiber
              wheels. I have had them for several years on my previous
              Univega-Xtracycle set up and now on my Big Dummy. I use to work as a
              messenger in NYC and I love my Aerospokes. They are extremely strong as
              you can see in this photo of the heaviest load I have carried (I strongly
              discourage anyone from attempting such a load!):
              http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg

              Not only do my Aerospokes seem bomb proof (and I have had accidents with
              them), but you never have to worry about truing spokes and it is way
              easier to run a chain/lock through the wheel. My only gripe with them is
              I can not slip spoke cards into the spokes or connect fancy persistence
              of vision pattern lights.

              I would imagine a number of people on this list might not really like
              Aerospokes either because you would not be able to use internal hubs or
              electric-assist based hubs. They are also pretty pricey, but considering
              they are so low maintenance and they have functioned fine over tens of
              thousands of miles… I would personally keep my Aerospokes and pedal than
              install a powered hub. That is actually one of the reasons I have held
              off on the Bionx electric assist system. Of course a Stoke Monkey could
              work with my current Aerospokes, but if I went the electric route I
              personally like the techy advantages the Bionx offers.

              Ride safe,
              _TONE_
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
                The Aerospoke wheels look like an elegant, if expensive, solution compared to a 48 spoke wheelset which I could build myself and have the front one incorporate a dynamo hub too. IIRC the SON hub dynamo is available in a 48 spoke configuration.

                Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

                > Rich,
                > I have a set of 26" Aerospoke brand disc brake compatible carbon fiber
                > wheels. I have had them for several years on my previous
                > Univega-Xtracycle set up and now on my Big Dummy. I use to work as a
                > messenger in NYC and I love my Aerospokes. They are extremely strong as
                > you can see in this photo of the heaviest load I have carried (I strongly
                > discourage anyone from attempting such a load!):
                > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg
                >
                > Not only do my Aerospokes seem bomb proof (and I have had accidents with
                > them), but you never have to worry about truing spokes and it is way
                > easier to run a chain/lock through the wheel. My only gripe with them is
                > I can not slip spoke cards into the spokes or connect fancy persistence
                > of vision pattern lights.
                >
                > I would imagine a number of people on this list might not really like
                > Aerospokes either because you would not be able to use internal hubs or
                > electric-assist based hubs. They are also pretty pricey, but considering
                > they are so low maintenance and they have functioned fine over tens of
                > thousands of miles… I would personally keep my Aerospokes and pedal than
                > install a powered hub. That is actually one of the reasons I have held
                > off on the Bionx electric assist system. Of course a Stoke Monkey could
                > work with my current Aerospokes, but if I went the electric route I
                > personally like the techy advantages the Bionx offers.
                >
                > Ride safe,
                > _TONE_

              • speedub_nate
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                  > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

                  Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.
                • Vik Banerjee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                    I think they still are doing 48 spoke Rohloff mods:

                    However, as Nate noted I don't think there is any need for it.

                    safe riding,

                    On 2010-09-04, at 6:20 AM, speedub_nate wrote:

                    > Too bad that no one makes a 40 or 48 spoke drilled IGH any more.

                    Yeah, it would be nice, but keep in mind that most IGHs have symmetrically-spaced flanges (or near enough to it). The resulting even spoke tension goes a long way to building a wheel stronger than one built around a severely dished cassette-based hub.

                  • Steve Lange
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                      Just echoing what Vik has written, I've been running my Xtracycle for about 2.5yrs using 36h Sun Rhyno Lites and a Shimano XT hub in the rear, and Shimano dynamo hub in front. I've carried all kinds of loads and both wheels (built by Harris Cyclery) are still as true as the day I got them. Been very pleased. I really question whether anything more than 36h and a decent MTB rim is necessary, but "that's just me" and I'd hate to get in the way of someone's bike lust. There are no wrong answers, just more and less expensive ones :-)

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 6, 2010
                        I am getting ready to do my own 36 spoke dynamo front wheel for the Big Dummy. Using a 36 hole Alfine dyno front hub and a Salsa Gordo front rim. I chose the rim based on the fact that it is the same as the original rims on the Big Dummy. According to Salsa it is their strongest 26" rim. I also know from experience that Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are easy to mount on the Gordo rims.

                        Rich Wood