Re: [rootsradicals] Rans Hammertruck?!

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
      Oh!I like that rain fly! But $65?

      On Aug 27, 2010, at 9:24 PM, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      I did a search of prior posts and came up with nada darned thing.

      Anyone have, test ridden or even seen a Rans Hammertruck or any other of the Rans semi recumbent bikes? Other than the seat angle the Hammertruck looks much like a Xtracycle or Big Dummy in concept including using very similar accessory mounts and accessories. In fact the article on it on the Rans web site acknowledges the Xtracycle as inspiration per my reading.

      http://www.ransbikes.com/Hammertruck.htm

    • ama3655@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
        Rich -

        We had a RANS tandem in the shop a while back. Took two of us to lift it. It was well made, but a true beast. It made my Big Dummy look puny. As others have noted, the crank forward designs in general are not much good for out of the saddle climbing. Some folks really like them though they aren't my cup of tea.

        FatRob

        In a message dated 8/27/2010 8:24:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time, astronut1001@... writes:
        I did a search of prior posts and came up with nada darned thing.

        Anyone have, test ridden or even seen a Rans Hammertruck or any other of the Rans semi recumbent bikes? Other than the seat angle the Hammertruck looks much like a Xtracycle or Big Dummy in concept including using very similar accessory mounts and accessories. In fact the article on it on the Rans web site acknowledges the Xtracycle as inspiration per my reading.

        http://www.ransbikes.com/Hammertruck.htm

        The semi recumbent Rans bikes certainly look both different and interesting with their extremely laid back seat tubes. Even more than Electras they fall into the category of bikes which allow the feet to reach the pavement while seated even with the seat at the proper height for proper leg extension when pedaling. I would be interested in reading impressions of what they are like to ride.

        Rich Wood

      • Anthony Checkas

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
            I found some photos I posted of the HT:

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
              Rich wrote:
              > with their extremely laid back seat tubes. Even more than Electras they fall into the category of bikes which allow the feet to reach the pavement while seated even with the seat at the proper height for proper leg extension when pedaling.

              Considering that two days ago I fell off my x in the middle of one of
              Taichung's most congested intersections (which fortunately means
              gridlocked) when trying to make too tight a left turn by squeezing
              between cars, maybe I need something like this. My fall was witnessed
              by hundreds! When my seat is at the right height for pedaling, only the
              tip of my big toe can touch the ground.

              CL
              who has fallen off her x before and for the same reason.
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
                The problem I see is that the laid-back seat takes up space that is used
                for cargo on my current xtracycle.

                CL
                who can't see how she could carry a bathtub on a RANS.