Re: [rootsradicals] Rans Hammertruck?!

  • Vik Banerjee
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
      I had a RANS Street in my fleet for a season:

      High quality fun bikes to ride.  I didn't find it was great for climbing due to the laid back seat tube angle, but other folks seem to think they climb well.  RANS is a small US company that is really keen on making quality products and they are easy to deal with.

      I have never seen a HT in person.  My only real issue with the design is the lack of compatibility with the Xtracycle open standard...meaning I'd have to buy two of everything rather than sharing stuff between my Big Dummy and the HT.

      safe riding,

      On 2010-08-27, at 6:24 PM, Rich wrote:

      I did a search of prior posts and came up with nada darned thing.

      Anyone have, test ridden or even seen a Rans Hammertruck or any other of the Rans semi recumbent bikes? Other than the seat angle the Hammertruck looks much like a Xtracycle or Big Dummy in concept including using very similar accessory mounts and accessories. In fact the article on it on the Rans web site acknowledges the Xtracycle as inspiration per my reading.

      http://www.ransbikes.com/Hammertruck.htm

      The semi recumbent Rans bikes certainly look both different and interesting with their extremely laid back seat tubes. Even more than Electras they fall into the category of bikes which allow the feet to reach the pavement while seated even with the seat at the proper height for proper leg extension when pedaling. I would be interested in reading impressions of what they are like to ride.

      Rich Wood

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
        Oh!I like that rain fly! But $65?

      • ama3655@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
          Rich -

          We had a RANS tandem in the shop a while back. Took two of us to lift it. It was well made, but a true beast. It made my Big Dummy look puny. As others have noted, the crank forward designs in general are not much good for out of the saddle climbing. Some folks really like them though they aren't my cup of tea.

          FatRob

          In a message dated 8/27/2010 8:24:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time, astronut1001@... writes:
[...]

        • Anthony Checkas

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
              I found some photos I posted of the HT:

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
                Rich wrote:
                > with their extremely laid back seat tubes. Even more than Electras they fall into the category of bikes which allow the feet to reach the pavement while seated even with the seat at the proper height for proper leg extension when pedaling.

                Considering that two days ago I fell off my x in the middle of one of
                Taichung's most congested intersections (which fortunately means
                gridlocked) when trying to make too tight a left turn by squeezing
                between cars, maybe I need something like this. My fall was witnessed
                by hundreds! When my seat is at the right height for pedaling, only the
                tip of my big toe can touch the ground.

                CL
                who has fallen off her x before and for the same reason.
              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2010
                  The problem I see is that the laid-back seat takes up space that is used
                  for cargo on my current xtracycle.

                  CL
                  who can't see how she could carry a bathtub on a RANS.