Final Help with Sizing, I swear.

  • davidmcowan
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2010
      Okay, time to pull the trigger. I've got a day and a half to decide if I should get the 16 or the 18 in the BigDummy. I'm 5'9 with a 30 inseam and a longish torso.

      I'm guessing I'd want better handlebars than what comes stock to sweep back to a more casual position. Any other input or suggestions before I get in on this?

      Thanks!

      Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2010
        On 2010-08-19, at 12:25 AM, davidmcowan wrote:

        > Okay, time to pull the trigger. I've got a day and a half to decide if I should get the 16 or the 18 in the BigDummy. I'm 5'9 with a 30 inseam and a longish torso.
        >
        > I'm guessing I'd want better handlebars than what comes stock to sweep back to a more casual position. Any other input or suggestions before I get in on this?

        I think you would fit on either, but advice from my brother (Philip) might be helpful.
        I'm just shy of 6', long torso, ride a 20", but there's a big jump in TT length from 18 to 20.
        I have PLENTY of standover room.
        I think an 18 might give you more options for Stokemonkeying in the future.

        Handlebars, I am a weirdo, I think. I have tried:

        flat bars
        Soma moustache
        Nitto noodle (wide)
        Nitto rando (45cm)
        Nitto/Velo-orange Montmartre (42cm), with hoods on the downward curves.

        I like the Montmartre bars a lot. I rode 100km on them last Saturday, no problems.
        Great in traffic, they are skinny. I just put a pair on my road bike, and rode it around Cambridge yesterday, they were great. I'm using a huge long stem on that bike (120mm).

        BUT - less leverage over the front end, which might be an issue for you.
        I don't mind, but apparently some people do.

        ALSO, they are made of road tubing, so if you do disk, it is best for you to get Avid BB7 road-pull brakes, so you can use whatever levers you want. Shifters, you can use Paul's Thumbies with bar-ends, or just stick bar-ends in the end.
      • adrianquan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2010
          I'm 5'10" also with a long torso and 30" inseam. I've got the 18 with OnOne Mary bars (angled but not swept back) and a short stem clamped almost all the way up on an uncut steer tube. It's a little more aggressive position than you're looking for from your description, but it fits like a glove for me.

          In your situation, I'd definitely go with the 16--to a certain point, you can always get a longer stem, but you can only go so short, so I think the safer thing to do is go down a size.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "davidmcowan" <davidmcowan@...> wrote:

          > Okay, time to pull the trigger. I've got a day and a half to decide if I should get the 16 or the 18 in the BigDummy. I'm 5'9 with a 30 inseam and a longish torso.
          >
          > I'm guessing I'd want better handlebars than what comes stock to sweep back to a more casual position. Any other input or suggestions before I get in on this?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Dave

        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
            On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM, davidmcowan <davidmcowan@...> wrote:
            > Okay, time to pull the trigger. I've got a day and a half to decide if I should get the 16 or the 18 in the BigDummy. I'm 5'9 with a 30 inseam and a longish torso.

            Get the 16. Then get a stem/handlebar combo that puts you in the
            seating position you find most comfortable.
          • Edward Hensley
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
              I asked earlier about 22" vs 20" BD. I just picked up my 22" yesterday and rode it around the neighborhood (which is very hilly), including riding my wife on the deck up a steep hill. I was glad I went with the taller of my choices, mainly for all-around riding efficiency. I feel upright, but still have good enough stretch and saddle height and comfortable stand-over/dismount. Of course, it's day one. I suspect that it's a good strategy to go small as possible, but I'm glad right now that I chose taller and that it feels like my other bikes. It'd be fun to ride no matter what, though.

              Ed
              <><><><><><><><><>
              Ed Hensley
              Grass Valley CA
              <><><><><><><><><>

              On Aug 18, 2010, at 9:25 PM, davidmcowan wrote:

              > Okay, time to pull the trigger. I've got a day and a half to decide if I should get the 16 or the 18 in the BigDummy. I'm 5'9 with a 30 inseam and a longish torso.
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                I just replace my stem with a 110mm/125° Dimension stem for a more upright position, but am still feeling slightly hunched over. Of course that has to do with my posture, too. I've   been consciously trying to move my shoulder blades further on my back to help achieve a more upright position. Might help to visualize moving your shoulders aft and down to help open your chest when riding.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                  On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Rick <rick@...> wrote:

                  I've   been consciously trying to move my shoulder blades further on my back to help achieve a more upright position. Might help to visualize moving your shoulders aft and down to help open your chest when riding.

                  And then, my friend, you may join the Pleasant Revolution.  For those new to the list, you really should see Kipchoge's intimate talk on the subject.

                • Doug Van Cleve
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                    Dave,

                    I am similar size to you and went with the 18" after polling as many places as I could think of.  I don't see using straight or drop bars, and swept back bars can easily absorb some extra TT length.  Standover seems like a non-issue with either size.  I mainly wanted to avoid the massive pile of spacers under the stem that seems to be ubiquitous on the 16"ers...

                    Doug

                    5b. Re: Final Help with Sizing, I swear.
                        From: David Chase
                    5c. Re: Final Help with Sizing, I swear.
                        From: adrianquan

                    Messages

                    5a. Final Help with Sizing, I swear.
                        Posted by: "davidmcowan" davidmcowan@... davidmcowan

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                      On 2010-08-19, at 9:33 PM, Doug Van Cleve wrote:
                      > I mainly wanted to avoid the massive pile of spacers under the stem that seems to be ubiquitous on the 16"ers...

                      Just add another stem, use it to hold all the crap.

                      http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_1620/web.jpg?ver=12550377540001

                      Left-to-right, that hi/lo-beam switch, odometer, bell (on the stem), and then the shifter for the IGH (which only fits mountain bars, the true handlebars are made of road tubing).