Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Hauling kids' bikes

Expand Messages
  • E_E_Thomas
    I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/ except that at least one of my kids still rides in a
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
      I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
      except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)

      I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.

      Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?

      In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.
    • Dave Lloyd
      You mean like this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeadave/4174293614/ I can verify that it works pretty well for the 16 bike in the pic. Not visible in the
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
        You mean like this?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeadave/4174293614/

        I can verify that it works pretty well for the 16" bike in the pic.  Not visible in the pic is the 12" bike on the other side that fits entirely into the freeloaders.  Of course, this nixes your cargo capacity.

        --dlloyd



        On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:33, E_E_Thomas <eli@...> wrote:
         

        I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
        except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)

        I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.

        Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?

        In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.


      • Rick
        I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/ There are some kids bikes in there too. Cheers,
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
          I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:


          There are some kids bikes in there too.

          Cheers,
          Rick

          On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:33 AM, E_E_Thomas wrote:

           

          I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
          except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)

          I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.

          Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?

          In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.


        • Steve
          You can add mine if you want. I ve seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
            You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/

            Steve


            On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:

            > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
            >
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
            >
            > There are some kids bikes in there too.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Rick
          • Rick
            Thanks, Steve. They re added to the pool!
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
              Thanks, Steve. They're added to the pool!

              On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Steve wrote:

               

              You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/

              Steve

              On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:

              > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
              >
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
              >
              > There are some kids bikes in there too.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Rick


            • E_E_Thomas
              Nice! Looks like the majority of those just have the front wheel of the towed bike strapped into the freeloaders. Easy enough! Anyone know if the Freeloaders
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                Nice!

                Looks like the majority of those just have the front wheel of the towed bike strapped into the freeloaders. Easy enough!

                Anyone know if the Freeloaders work on the Ute, or if this would work equally well with the more structured Ute pannier?

                Anyone towed a bike while using a Peapod?
              • Rich
                Not a kid size bike but I towed home a 58 cm Nishiki the other day with the front wheel strapped down into a freeloader. I had to use the left side freeloader
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                  Not a kid size bike but I towed home a 58 cm Nishiki the other day with the front wheel strapped down into a freeloader. I had to use the left side freeloader as when the towed bike tipped slightly in the freeloader it touched the rear derailleur with the wheel in the right side freeloader, causing phantom shifting. Tighter strapping might have helped but it was my first attempt at towing one bike with another. I want to try and come up with a better arrangement.

                  Rich Wood


                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Nice!
                  >
                  > Looks like the majority of those just have the front wheel of the towed bike strapped into the freeloaders. Easy enough!
                  >
                  > Anyone know if the Freeloaders work on the Ute, or if this would work equally well with the more structured Ute pannier?
                  >
                  > Anyone towed a bike while using a Peapod?
                  >
                • Andrew Kreps
                  ... Here s what you do. Strap it in as before, but put a bungee or strap on the front wheel of the carried bike at the very back corner of the freeloader, and
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                    On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
                    > I had to use the left side freeloader as when the towed bike tipped slightly in the freeloader it touched the rear derailleur with the wheel in the right side freeloader, causing phantom shifting.  Tighter strapping might have helped but it was my first attempt at towing one bike with another.  I want to try and come up with a better arrangement.


                    Here's what you do. Strap it in as before, but put a bungee or strap
                    on the front wheel of the carried bike at the very back corner of the
                    freeloader, and wrap it around the V-rack. The lower and further back
                    on the wheel, the better. This 3-point design will keep the front
                    wheel bolt upright no matter how much you lean or how fast you ride.

                    I'll see if I can dig up a photo for you.
                  • Dave Lloyd
                    I fo something like this with the kid bikes I haul, but I go back to front and make sure to go through the frame. Acts as a safety line just in case something
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                      I fo something like this with the kid bikes I haul, but I go back to
                      front and make sure to go through the frame. Acts as a safety line
                      just in case something gets loose. Oh, and I use an old tube instead
                      of a bungee.

                      On 2010-08-17, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
                      >> I had to use the left side freeloader as when the towed bike tipped
                      >> slightly in the freeloader it touched the rear derailleur with the wheel
                      >> in the right side freeloader, causing phantom shifting.  Tighter strapping
                      >> might have helped but it was my first attempt at towing one bike with
                      >> another.  I want to try and come up with a better arrangement.
                      >
                      >
                      > Here's what you do. Strap it in as before, but put a bungee or strap
                      > on the front wheel of the carried bike at the very back corner of the
                      > freeloader, and wrap it around the V-rack. The lower and further back
                      > on the wheel, the better. This 3-point design will keep the front
                      > wheel bolt upright no matter how much you lean or how fast you ride.
                      >
                      > I'll see if I can dig up a photo for you.
                      >


                      --

                      --dlloyd
                    • Dallas Wisehaupt
                      Oh to have kids of different ages. :) I ve done this a couple times. Still works now that we have the 2 peadpods but it is definitely more snug. Could probably
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                        Oh to have kids of different ages. :) I've done this a couple times.


                        image.jpeg

                        Still works now that we have the 2 peadpods but it is definitely more snug. 

                        Could probably still do this with the peapods and 12" bikes, but 16" would have me seiously second guessing. The biggest issue is the peapods restrict the movement of the freeloaders and give you less flexibility for adjustments. Peapod in front and larger kid in the back would probably be easier to fit the kid bike in, but it comes with the loose kid in back tradeoff. 

                        Dallas

                        On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:33 AM, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:

                         

                        I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
                        except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)

                        I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.

                        Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?

                        In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

                      • E_E_Thomas
                        Do you have a picture, Dallas? Great to hear that it can work.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                          Do you have a picture, Dallas? Great to hear that it can work.

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Wisehaupt <dallas.wisehaupt@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Oh to have kids of different ages. :) I've done this a couple times.
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > Still works now that we have the 2 peadpods but it is definitely more snug.
                          >
                          > Could probably still do this with the peapods and 12" bikes, but 16" would have me seiously second guessing. The biggest issue is the peapods restrict the movement of the freeloaders and give you less flexibility for adjustments. Peapod in front and larger kid in the back would probably be easier to fit the kid bike in, but it comes with the loose kid in back tradeoff.
                          >
                          > Dallas
                          >
                          > On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:33 AM, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
                          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
                          > > except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)
                          > >
                          > > I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.
                          > >
                          > > Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?
                          > >
                          > > In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                        • Steve Lange
                          I m in the process of putting together a cargo trailer to carry my kids bikes on, as well as other assorted stuff. Currently, we bring the Wike Moonlight
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                            I'm in the process of putting together a cargo trailer to carry my kids' bikes on, as well as other assorted stuff. 

                            Currently, we bring the Wike Moonlight Double kiddie trailer along when we want to bring the bikes (a 12" and a 16", both with training wheels still), with the bikes either strapped on top of the Snapdeck or jammed into the trailer, depending on whether the kids (ages 3 and 5) want to ride on the Xtracycle or (if tired) relax/nap in the trailer.

                            With the cargo trailer, the kids will have to ride on the X, but it will make it a lot easier to carry their bikes /and/ cargo in the Freeloader. Plus, looking down the road, it will be nice for going to the beach and bringing a cooler, boogie boards, etc.

                            I know the whole Xtracycle + trailer thing isn't as popular an option amongst Xers, but after 2.5 years of doing it, I've found it's the most functional for our needs. The X is a great trailer towing rig and having the X + trailer gives us a ton of cargo hauling capability.

                            And I have to admit, despite previous stances taken on this board: as my kids get heavier, and the weight/amount of junk we want to haul increases, the idea of an electric assist is getting more and more compelling! LOL ;-)

                            Steve



                            On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM, E_E_Thomas <eli@...> wrote:
                            Do you have a picture, Dallas?  Great to hear that it can work.

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Wisehaupt <dallas.wisehaupt@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Oh to have kids of different ages. :) I've done this a couple times.
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > Still works now that we have the 2 peadpods but it is definitely more snug.
                            >
                            > Could probably still do this with the peapods and 12" bikes, but 16" would have me seiously second guessing. The biggest issue is the peapods restrict the movement of the freeloaders and give you less flexibility for adjustments. Peapod in front and larger kid in the back would probably be easier to fit the kid bike in, but it comes with the loose kid in back tradeoff.
                            >
                            > Dallas
                            >
                            > On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:33 AM, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
                            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
                            > > except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)
                            > >
                            > > I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.
                            > >
                            > > Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?
                            > >
                            > > In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.
                            > >
                            > >
                            >




                            ------------------------------------

                            You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots radical.

                            To Post a message, send it to:          rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com


                            ride to believe.Yahoo! Groups Links

                            <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                               http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/join
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                               rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com
                               rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                               rootsradicals-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


                          • Elise Giddings
                            If you re going with whole family, this certainly is easier than one person on a longtail. Here s something I came across somewhat recently for non longtail
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                              If you're going with whole family, this certainly is easier than one person on a longtail. Here's something I came across somewhat recently for non longtail bikes that can turn a regular kids bike into a "trail-a-bike"
                              http://www.trail-gator.com/
                              If you had one longtail and one not, that could maybe work.

                              We have put the small (12 or 16") wheel bike completely in the freeloader with child seat (although old peapod type without the legs), and now have even fit the 20" wheel bike in the freeloader, although it's a bit of a pain and one of the wheels hangs low, so you have to be careful on corners. My daughter sits on the deck and can put one foot over the bike. The whole thing works ok, but probably not for longer distances (towing would be better). Sorry I don't have a picture of that to post.

                              -Elise
                              http://www.cycle9.com
                            • abogado717
                              Steve et al: I ve seen a setup like this on an Xtracycle ridden by a local bike shop owner, and am hoping to do the same on my new Xtracycle. What is that
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                Steve et al:

                                I've seen a setup like this on an Xtracycle ridden by a local bike shop owner, and am hoping to do the same on my new Xtracycle.

                                What is that Yakima part that you have to attach the front fork, and where did you get it? The setup I saw locally was very homemade and involved a woodblock & a quick-release.

                                Do you just use this to tow the spare bike, or have you tried it as a quasi-tandem, with the 2nd rider actually sitting on their bike & pedaling, with the front fork attached to your Xtra?

                                I recently acquired a "trail gator," mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that allows a regular kids' bike to be converted (sorta) in a "trail-a-bike" but that won't work on an Xtra because the bar's not long enough. I've thought about a set up like yours, and when the bike-riding kid gets tired, we would take off the front wheel, stow it in the freeloader, attach the front fork to the setup, and have him ride along, "trail-a-bike" style. Makes for a long bike, so you'd have to avoid tight corners. :-)

                                Has anyone tried this?


                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve <Steve@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.
                                >
                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/
                                >
                                > Steve
                                >
                                >
                                > On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:
                                >
                                > > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
                                > >
                                > >
                                > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
                                > >
                                > > There are some kids bikes in there too.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers,
                                > > Rick
                                >
                              • WT
                                Abogado717 -- The setup shown isn t very ideal because it doesn t allow the towed bike to move up and down which is pretty critical. These are designed for
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                  Abogado717 -- The setup shown isn't very ideal because it doesn't allow the towed bike to move up and down which is pretty critical. These are designed for roof racks or truck beds which don't move up and down indespendently of the bike. But when the bike is being towed behind the X the wheel WILL move independently thus the need for a pivot point. I used an old front hub and mounted it using some aluminum angle iron and U bolts (I should probably throw some pics up sometime) which works quite well. However, even with a properly pivoting mounting point I still would never tow a bike with it's rider still on. I just wouldn't trust it (it's easier to understand why once you've actually towed a bike).

                                  Good luck,
                                  Wes

                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "abogado717" <abg717@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Steve et al:
                                  >
                                  > I've seen a setup like this on an Xtracycle ridden by a local bike shop owner, and am hoping to do the same on my new Xtracycle.
                                  >
                                  > What is that Yakima part that you have to attach the front fork, and where did you get it? The setup I saw locally was very homemade and involved a woodblock & a quick-release.
                                  >
                                  > Do you just use this to tow the spare bike, or have you tried it as a quasi-tandem, with the 2nd rider actually sitting on their bike & pedaling, with the front fork attached to your Xtra?
                                  >
                                  > I recently acquired a "trail gator," mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that allows a regular kids' bike to be converted (sorta) in a "trail-a-bike" but that won't work on an Xtra because the bar's not long enough. I've thought about a set up like yours, and when the bike-riding kid gets tired, we would take off the front wheel, stow it in the freeloader, attach the front fork to the setup, and have him ride along, "trail-a-bike" style. Makes for a long bike, so you'd have to avoid tight corners. :-)
                                  >
                                  > Has anyone tried this?
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve <Steve@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/
                                  > >
                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > > On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
                                  > > >
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
                                  > > >
                                  > > > There are some kids bikes in there too.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Cheers,
                                  > > > Rick
                                  > >
                                  >
                                • Steve Morris
                                  Wes is correct. After testing this setup, I discovered that it was too Ridgid. I have a hub to use in it s place, but never got to it. And as Wes also noted, I
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                    Wes is correct. After testing this setup, I discovered that it was too Ridgid. I have a hub to use in it's place, but never got to it. And as Wes also noted, I never intended this for anyone riding on the rear bike. It was for towing only. 

                                    Steve

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On Aug 18, 2010, at 2:12 PM, "WT" <watrout@...> wrote:

                                     

                                    Abogado717 -- The setup shown isn't very ideal because it doesn't allow the towed bike to move up and down which is pretty critical. These are designed for roof racks or truck beds which don't move up and down indespendently of the bike. But when the bike is being towed behind the X the wheel WILL move independently thus the need for a pivot point. I used an old front hub and mounted it using some aluminum angle iron and U bolts (I should probably throw some pics up sometime) which works quite well. However, even with a properly pivoting mounting point I still would never tow a bike with it's rider still on. I just wouldn't trust it (it's easier to understand why once you've actually towed a bike).

                                    Good luck,
                                    Wes

                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "abogado717" <abg717@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Steve et al:
                                    >
                                    > I've seen a setup like this on an Xtracycle ridden by a local bike shop owner, and am hoping to do the same on my new Xtracycle.
                                    >
                                    > What is that Yakima part that you have to attach the front fork, and where did you get it? The setup I saw locally was very homemade and involved a woodblock & a quick-release.
                                    >
                                    > Do you just use this to tow the spare bike, or have you tried it as a quasi-tandem, with the 2nd rider actually sitting on their bike & pedaling, with the front fork attached to your Xtra?
                                    >
                                    > I recently acquired a "trail gator," mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that allows a regular kids' bike to be converted (sorta) in a "trail-a-bike" but that won't work on an Xtra because the bar's not long enough. I've thought about a set up like yours, and when the bike-riding kid gets tired, we would take off the front wheel, stow it in the freeloader, attach the front fork to the setup, and have him ride along, "trail-a-bike" style. Makes for a long bike, so you'd have to avoid tight corners. :-)
                                    >
                                    > Has anyone tried this?
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve <Steve@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/
                                    > >
                                    > > Steve
                                    > >
                                    > >
                                    > > On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
                                    > > >
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
                                    > > >
                                    > > > There are some kids bikes in there too.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cheers,
                                    > > > Rick
                                    > >
                                    >

                                  • Rich
                                    I would appreciate seeing photos of your mount. I recently picked up an old Suntour front hub cheap with the intention of doing what you describe. Rich Wood
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                      I would appreciate seeing photos of your mount. I recently picked up an old Suntour front hub cheap with the intention of doing what you describe.

                                      Rich Wood

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "WT" <watrout@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Abogado717 -- The setup shown isn't very ideal because it doesn't allow the towed bike to move up and down which is pretty critical. These are designed for roof racks or truck beds which don't move up and down indespendently of the bike. But when the bike is being towed behind the X the wheel WILL move independently thus the need for a pivot point. I used an old front hub and mounted it using some aluminum angle iron and U bolts (I should probably throw some pics up sometime) which works quite well. However, even with a properly pivoting mounting point I still would never tow a bike with it's rider still on. I just wouldn't trust it (it's easier to understand why once you've actually towed a bike).
                                      >
                                      > Good luck,
                                      > Wes
                                      >
                                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "abogado717" <abg717@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Steve et al:
                                      > >
                                      > > I've seen a setup like this on an Xtracycle ridden by a local bike shop owner, and am hoping to do the same on my new Xtracycle.
                                      > >
                                      > > What is that Yakima part that you have to attach the front fork, and where did you get it? The setup I saw locally was very homemade and involved a woodblock & a quick-release.
                                      > >
                                      > > Do you just use this to tow the spare bike, or have you tried it as a quasi-tandem, with the 2nd rider actually sitting on their bike & pedaling, with the front fork attached to your Xtra?
                                      > >
                                      > > I recently acquired a "trail gator," mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that allows a regular kids' bike to be converted (sorta) in a "trail-a-bike" but that won't work on an Xtra because the bar's not long enough. I've thought about a set up like yours, and when the bike-riding kid gets tired, we would take off the front wheel, stow it in the freeloader, attach the front fork to the setup, and have him ride along, "trail-a-bike" style. Makes for a long bike, so you'd have to avoid tight corners. :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > Has anyone tried this?
                                      > >
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve <Steve@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > You can add mine if you want. I've seen similar setups, and I need to make the hub mount pivot better.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/41548620@N02/sets/72157622256293893/
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Steve
                                      > > >
                                      > > >
                                      > > > On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Rick wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > > I made a gallery of bikes in tow on Flickr:
                                      > > > >
                                      > > > >
                                      > > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/galleries/72157624122780879/
                                      > > > >
                                      > > > > There are some kids bikes in there too.
                                      > > > >
                                      > > > > Cheers,
                                      > > > > Rick
                                      > > >
                                      > >
                                      >
                                    • E_E_Thomas
                                      We actually have this trail-gator, and it does okay. But it takes up a lot of cargo space , as my son s bike is too small to act as a trail-a-bike yet (this
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                        We actually have this trail-gator, and it does okay. But it takes up a lot of "cargo space", as my son's bike is too small to act as a trail-a-bike yet (this http://flickr.com/gp/fletzet/M1i8bj lasted for about 2 minutes). And if my husband takes the trail-gator, he can't uses his rear rack for anything else. So, in sum, this isn't that great for a 12" bike. You can tow the bike, but nothing else. (though of course front kid seats, front panniers, baskets, and backpacks could help)

                                        I am really hoping that this trail-gator thing will work better for a 16" bike.

                                        It still doesn't allow one person to take two kids and two bikes, though.
                                      • E_E_Thomas
                                        Oops -- meant to post this pic. http://flickr.com/gp/fletzet/3RmfGz Anyway, I think the problem is that with such a small bike, the tilt of the seat is severe.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                                          Oops -- meant to post this pic.
                                          http://flickr.com/gp/fletzet/3RmfGz

                                          Anyway, I think the problem is that with such a small bike, the tilt of the seat is severe. He doesn't feel comfortable, and wants off immediately.
                                        • thelawnet
                                          ... apparently they do (now). They are a little short however http://everydayadventurers.com/wp-content/uploads/kona-freeloader-2.jpg
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 2, 2010
                                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > Nice!
                                            >
                                            > Looks like the majority of those just have the front wheel of the towed bike strapped into the freeloaders. Easy enough!
                                            >
                                            > Anyone know if the Freeloaders work on the Ute, or if this would work equally well with the more structured Ute pannier?


                                            apparently they do (now).

                                            They are a little short however http://everydayadventurers.com/wp-content/uploads/kona-freeloader-2.jpg
                                          • Dallas Wisehaupt
                                            Sorry for the long delay, just got around to snapping some pics. Here are 2 shots showing the skuut in one side. I guess there is more room in there than I
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 4, 2010
                                              Sorry for the long delay, just got around to snapping some pics. Here are 2 shots showing the skuut in one side. I guess there is more room in there than I thought with these, but you would still be limited as you get larger wheels. 

                                              image.jpeg

                                              image.jpeg

                                              I can do a bike on each side but tend to keep that to a minimum. The handlebars will knock into each other and cause a little racket and some vibration. Nothing horrible, but not really fun.

                                              Dallas

                                              On Aug 18, 2010, at 7:56 AM, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:

                                               

                                              Do you have a picture, Dallas? Great to hear that it can work.

                                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Wisehaupt <dallas.wisehaupt@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Oh to have kids of different ages. :) I've done this a couple times.
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >
                                              > Still works now that we have the 2 peadpods but it is definitely more snug.
                                              >
                                              > Could probably still do this with the peapods and 12" bikes, but 16" would have me seiously second guessing. The biggest issue is the peapods restrict the movement of the freeloaders and give you less flexibility for adjustments. Peapod in front and larger kid in the back would probably be easier to fit the kid bike in, but it comes with the loose kid in back tradeoff.
                                              >
                                              > Dallas
                                              >
                                              > On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:33 AM, "E_E_Thomas" <eli@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I would like to get a cargo bike set up like this:
                                              > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansteeves68/3897840124/
                                              > > except that at least one of my kids still rides in a kid seat (like a PeaPod)
                                              > >
                                              > > I'm currently looking into both the Kona Ute and the Xtracycle Radish. The Ute gets big points for being available now rather than in February.
                                              > >
                                              > > Has anyone hauled kids' bikes as shown above? Did you just tuck the front wheels in the Freeloader? Or something more elaborate? Any idea how that would interact with a PeaPod?
                                              > >
                                              > > In case anyone has a better idea altogether, our current issue is this -- we regularly head out with a 1 year old in a bike seat and a 3 year old on his own bike, and we need a better way to stash the 3 year old and his bike on an adult bike when he wears out. I'm sure this need will only grow as the kids do, and we have two kids who want on/off capability. We also need to be able to carry some other cargo (kid supplies, etc) and it would be great to be able to do more grocery shopping by bike rather than car. I think a longtail is our best solution, but I'm not sure how to make it work.
                                              > >
                                              > >
                                              >

                                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.