Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

RE: [rootsradicals] Fully Sprung Brooks

Expand Messages
  • Ty Smith
    Sorry folks, please disregard my previous post! I wasn t paying attention, and thought this was a post from a Bike Friday (folding) group I belong to. I just
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2010
      Sorry folks, please disregard my previous post!

      I wasn't paying attention, and thought this was a post from a Bike Friday (folding) group I belong to. I just joined your group as I am contemplating converting my mountain/commuter bike with an xtracycle kit
       
      Honestly, I can see why the saddle he mentions would be good for a cargo bike.

      Again, sorry for the error and wasting your reading time!
       
      Ty
       

      From: tyjedi61@...
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [rootsradicals] Fully Sprung Brooks
      Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:03:41 -0700

      To me, those saddles are over-kill on the tikit.

      With the tikit's steel frame and  the long seat post and long steering mast, there is enough natural spring to give pretty good shock absorbing. 

      I commute daily over some pretty beat-up roads in downtown San Francisco, and notice that I am just as comfortable, if not more comfortable, than my old commuter/mountain bike with suspension front fork and gell saddle.
       
      For what it's worth, the standard B-17 is on my current wish list.
       
      Just my two cents....
       
      Ty
       

      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      From: astronut1001@...
      Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:39:46 +0000
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Fully Sprung Brooks

       
      Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or B190? If so what did you think?

      http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172

      Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.

      Rich Wood


    • Andrew Kreps
      ... Hey, no worries. Any thoughtful addition to the conversation is appreciated. As for the Brooke, I, too, have been thinking about one. That front spring on
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2010
        On 8/9/10, Ty Smith <tyjedi61@...> wrote:
        >
        > Sorry folks, please disregard my previous post!


        Hey, no worries. Any thoughtful addition to the conversation is appreciated.

        As for the Brooke, I, too, have been thinking about one. That front
        spring on the 135 looks... dangerous. Snag city.
      • jtrops
        I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather saddle. Sprung saddles don t really offer suspension as much as a springy ride.
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2010
          I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much as a springy ride. They are bouncy. I would probably go for a suspension seatpost before a sprung saddle. Once a leather saddle is broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung on the saddle frame. So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in if you think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
          >
          > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or B190? If so what did you think?
          >
          > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172
          >
          > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >
        • Devian Gilbert
          thudbuster
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9, 2010
            thudbuster

            On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:39 PM, jtrops wrote:

            I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much as a springy ride. They are bouncy. I would probably go for a suspension seatpost before a sprung saddle. Once a leather saddle is broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung on the saddle frame. So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in if you think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
            >
            > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or B190? If so what did you think?
            > 
            > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172
            > 
            > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.
            > 
            > Rich Wood
            >


          • rocket_boy_70
            I haven t seen the B135, but I do have a B67 on the arthritis bike. While the springs work, they are quite stiff. That coupled with some really big tires tends
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2010
              I haven't seen the B135, but I do have a B67 on the arthritis bike. While the springs work, they are quite stiff. That coupled with some really big tires tends to even out the bumps. But it is all a matter of personal comfort, if possible, try to see it in person first. General rule, the more upright you are, the wider the saddle and more need for springs because you have a reduced capability to stand-up over the bad stuff and absorb the bump with your legs and arms. That being said, saddles and thudbusters work well for the rider, but not so much for passengers or cargo.


              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:
              >
              > thudbuster
              >
              > On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:39 PM, jtrops wrote:
              >
              > > I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung
              > > leather saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much
              > > as a springy ride. They are bouncy. I would probably go for a
              > > suspension seatpost before a sprung saddle. Once a leather saddle is
              > > broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung on the saddle frame.
              > > So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in if you
              > > think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.
              > >
              > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as
              > > the B135 or B190? If so what did you think?
              > > >
              > > > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/
              > > 347/2805/15172
              > > >
              > > > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding
              > > positions and are supposedly good for rough roads with their
              > > suspension springs front and rear.
              > > >
              > > > Rich Wood
              > > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
            • Bill Swingle
              I ll second this. I just put my first leather saddle (B17) on my X about 3 months ago. The sling action mentioned below is really comfortable and has taken
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2010
                I'll second this. I just put my first leather saddle (B17) on my X about
                3 months ago. The "sling" action mentioned below is really comfortable
                and has taken the small bumps out of my ride. I'll be slowly outfitting
                all of my bikes with something similar. The B17 was a hand-me-down from
                a friend that never took a liking to it. Given the insane cost of Brooks
                saddles in the US now I'll probably end up going with a VO saddle since
                they're way cheaper and have much longer rails than the brooks.

                http://www.velo-orange.com/brookssaddles.html

                -Bill

                On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:39:15AM -0000, jtrops wrote:
                >
                >
                > I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather
                > saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much as a springy ride.
                > They are bouncy. I would probably go for a suspension seatpost before a sprung
                > saddle. Once a leather saddle is broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung
                > on the saddle frame. So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in
                > if you think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or
                > B190? If so what did you think?
                > >
                > > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172
                > >
                > > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are
                > supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.
                > >
                > > Rich Wood
                > >
                >
                >
                >

                --
                -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
              • jtrops
                I m pretty sure that the Velo Orange saddles are rebranded Gyes saddles from Taiwan. You can get one even cheaper from here:
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2010
                  I'm pretty sure that the Velo Orange saddles are rebranded Gyes saddles from Taiwan.

                  You can get one even cheaper from here: http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/saddles/gyes-leather-saddle-560-006.html
                  .

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill Swingle <unfurl@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'll second this. I just put my first leather saddle (B17) on my X about
                  > 3 months ago. The "sling" action mentioned below is really comfortable
                  > and has taken the small bumps out of my ride. I'll be slowly outfitting
                  > all of my bikes with something similar. The B17 was a hand-me-down from
                  > a friend that never took a liking to it. Given the insane cost of Brooks
                  > saddles in the US now I'll probably end up going with a VO saddle since
                  > they're way cheaper and have much longer rails than the brooks.
                  >
                  > http://www.velo-orange.com/brookssaddles.html
                  >
                  > -Bill
                  >
                  > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:39:15AM -0000, jtrops wrote:
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather
                  > > saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much as a springy ride.
                  > > They are bouncy. I would probably go for a suspension seatpost before a sprung
                  > > saddle. Once a leather saddle is broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung
                  > > on the saddle frame. So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in
                  > > if you think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.
                  > >
                  > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or
                  > > B190? If so what did you think?
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172
                  > > >
                  > > > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are
                  > > supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.
                  > > >
                  > > > Rich Wood
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  > --
                  > -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
                  >
                • Rich
                  Another possibility are the Persons Majestic saddles. One member of the Geared Hub Bikes group is very happy with his #77 Deluxe which appears to be similar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2010
                    Another possibility are the Persons Majestic saddles. One member of the Geared Hub Bikes group is very happy with his #77 Deluxe which appears to be similar to the Brooks B17. They also have a APOLLO model which appears to be similar to the Brooks Flyer. Per my understanding these are copies of saddles Persons Majestic made in the 1960s and earlier. They are having the current ones made in India apparently.

                    http://www.permaco.com/en-us/dept_7.html

                    Considerably lower priced than the VO leather saddles.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jtrops" <jtrops@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I'm pretty sure that the Velo Orange saddles are rebranded Gyes saddles from Taiwan.
                    >
                    > You can get one even cheaper from here: http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/saddles/gyes-leather-saddle-560-006.html
                    > .
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill Swingle <unfurl@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'll second this. I just put my first leather saddle (B17) on my X about
                    > > 3 months ago. The "sling" action mentioned below is really comfortable
                    > > and has taken the small bumps out of my ride. I'll be slowly outfitting
                    > > all of my bikes with something similar. The B17 was a hand-me-down from
                    > > a friend that never took a liking to it. Given the insane cost of Brooks
                    > > saddles in the US now I'll probably end up going with a VO saddle since
                    > > they're way cheaper and have much longer rails than the brooks.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.velo-orange.com/brookssaddles.html
                    > >
                    > > -Bill
                    > >
                    > > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:39:15AM -0000, jtrops wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > > I have used sprung saddles, and leather saddles, but never a sprung leather
                    > > > saddle. Sprung saddles don't really offer suspension as much as a springy ride.
                    > > > They are bouncy. I would probably go for a suspension seatpost before a sprung
                    > > > saddle. Once a leather saddle is broken in it acts like a sling that is sprung
                    > > > on the saddle frame. So, a leather saddle already has some suspension built in
                    > > > if you think about it. I miss my Ideale 80.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Has anyone tried one of the fully sprung Brooks saddles such as the B135 or
                    > > > B190? If so what did you think?
                    > > > >
                    > > > > http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/347/2805/15172
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Thse are wide leather saddles intended for upright riding positions and are
                    > > > supposedly good for rough roads with their suspension springs front and rear.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Rich Wood
                    > > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@
                    > >
                    >
                  • James
                    Old thread that I just noticed... I have a B135 and a Brooks Professional and agree about the sling effect of the unsuspended, well broken-in Pro. What the
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 23, 2010
                      Old thread that I just noticed...

                      I have a B135 and a Brooks Professional and agree about the sling effect of the unsuspended, well broken-in Pro.

                      What the B135 gives you is the ability to remain seated on some terrible roads, a habit that's frankly hard to get used to having ridden unsuspended saddles all my life. You have to trust it will work, not unweighting it at all, and let it flow. The stiff springs will do their magic. It allows for a completely vertical torso with no weight on the hands at all provided you have the right bars.

                      What it doesn't absorb is crashing into hard-edged speed bumps; that feeling of harshness comes from the front through the hands.

                      Jim
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.