Re: PeaPod LT

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 10:46 AM
      I went with \Ooption 'C' and selected a $45 Cosco car seat from Target that lacks the footrests and crossbar, but mounts to a plywood deck which in turn mounts to my Xtra's EcoDeck.

      The BoBike requires a little bending of the wire-mounted footrests to clear the deck; the Peapod wasn't available at the time I was looking but the wide molded footrests looked like they'd interfere with the bags and wideloaders.

      Of course, a trip to the hardware store, a bit of precision drilling and some light woodworking is required to make Option 'C' work for you.
    • Denise E K Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 4:35 PM
        Hi Dave,

        We used to use a Bobike Mini, which is in front of the driver, and then when our son got too tall, we switched to a Bobike Maxi (and that's when I got my Ute). I had no reservations about having our son, who was right around his 3rd birthday at that time, being in the Maxi. I wouldn't have trusted him with some homemade setup, because he was/is at the age where he's pretty impetuous.

        I never seriously considered the PeaPod LT because I liked the Bobike Mini so much. And I'm very happy with the Maxi. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing safety one iota. It's extremely sturdy, and I have full access to all our stuff. His feet are secured (i.e. not kicking me), and he either just sits there or puts his hands on the arm-rest area. He's never had a stoker bar. And I bike in very heavy Philly traffic, in which vehicles just are not looking out for bikes. I'm not at all convinced that you need plastic around 3 sides of your kid to be safe, but you do need something that is not going to come loose if you tip the bike over or if your kid is squirming.

        --Denise

        On Jul 31, 2010, at 05:56 PM, davidmcowan wrote:

        My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.

        What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?

        Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!

        Dave