PeaPod LT

  • davidmcowan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
      My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.

      What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?

      Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!

      Dave
    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
        They're two very different solutions.

        The LT sacrifices storage space for a larger seat (more wraparound and move involved child harness. For myself, I would want the bobike. For my wife's bike we went with the LT.  I think we will outgrow the LT faster due to the cross-bar being so close. Last winter it was difficult at times getting out daughter in and out with her snow suit on.

        Since you brought it up, I will be listing a Bobike Maxi on ebay tomorrow night if you decide to go that route.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
          Jeff,

          Why does the Bobike work better for you and the LT better for your wife?

          -Dave
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Snavely <jsnavely@...> wrote:

          > They're two very different solutions.
          >
          > The LT sacrifices storage space for a larger seat (more wraparound and move
          > involved child harness. For myself, I would want the bobike. For my wife's
          > bike we went with the LT. I think we will outgrow the LT faster due to the
          > cross-bar being so close. Last winter it was difficult at times getting out
          > daughter in and out with her snow suit on.
          >
          > Since you brought it up, I will be listing a Bobike Maxi on ebay tomorrow
          > night if you decide to go that route.
          >

          > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:56 PM, davidmcowan <davidmcowan@...> wrote:
          >

          > > My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying
          > > to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty
          > > high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so
          > > I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.
          > >
          > > What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs
          > > just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you
          > > with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How
          > > much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?
          > >
          > > Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!
          > >
          > > Dave

        • Jeff Snavely
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
            To clarify, I never actually used the Bobike (long story why not). I was speaking in theory.

            That theory was that I would rather have easier access to storage. My wife is more paranoid about safety than I am and just feels more comfortable with the larger, wrap-around style seat. The Bobike has a 3-point harness and we know from experience (with the bobike mini)  that when a kid falls asleep they have a tendency to slump sideways. I don't think they would fall out, but it's a little disconcerting.

            They, unfortunately, crash-tested the LT and my daughter only received minor scratches on a finger (and an ambulance trip for her mother) so there's no denying that the size has some benefit.

            /js

            On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM, davidmcowan <davidmcowan@...> wrote:

            Jeff,

            Why does the Bobike work better for you and the LT better for your wife?

            -Dave

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Snavely <jsnavely@...> wrote:

            > They're two very different solutions.
            >
            > The LT sacrifices storage space for a larger seat (more wraparound and move
            > involved child harness. For myself, I would want the bobike. For my wife's
            > bike we went with the LT. I think we will outgrow the LT faster due to the
            > cross-bar being so close. Last winter it was difficult at times getting out
            > daughter in and out with her snow suit on.
            >
            > Since you brought it up, I will be listing a Bobike Maxi on ebay tomorrow
            > night if you decide to go that route.
            >

            > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:56 PM, davidmcowan <davidmcowan@...> wrote:
            >

            > > My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying
            > > to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty
            > > high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so
            > > I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.
            > >
            > > What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs
            > > just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you
            > > with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How
            > > much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?
            > >
            > > Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!
            > >
            > > Dave

          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
              While we don't warrant your child's protection if you remove the crossbar, it can be done. I would personally remove it once my child was big enough, but still too young to be using a stoker bar.

              "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

              artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
              888.537-1401 | every day adventure

              On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:56 PM, davidmcowan <davidmcowan@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.

              What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?

              Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!

              Dave

            • Abigail vR
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
                Where do you live? In my area I know of at least four families (ours included) with BoBike seats. Maybe there are people around with bikes that would be willing to let you try it!

                Abigail

                On Jul 31, 2010, at 2:56 PM, davidmcowan wrote:

                > My little one will be old enough for a rear seat very soon and I'm trying to decide between the PeaPod LT and the Bobike Maxi. Both of them are pretty high in cost and both of them are virtually unavailable for "trying out" so I'm turning to my friends here in the garden.
                >
                > What are the general opinions of the two different seats? The Bobike costs just a little bit less, is the PeaPod worth the extra bread? Do those of you with the Peapod feel like you still have a decent amount of storage? How much does it interfere with loading up those panniers?
                >
                > Any and all advice/experience would be helpful. Thanks all!
                >
                > Dave
              • Shannon
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
                  I checked out both in person and went with the Bobike, and have been very happy with it. The Bobike did seem like it would be easier for a bigger kid with no crossbar and I really appreciated the minimalist design as the Peapod seemed like an awful big hunk of plastic. My plastic/landfill footprint, if you will, is always a big consideration in what I buy. Safety didn't really strike me as being more or less, though I suppose it could be a little more protective. I did allow my bike to fall over once and my son was fine, for what its worth. The Bobike does not interfer with panniers, hangs over the deck a bit but is not attached. The seat back has been easy for my older son to hold onto.
                • speedub_nate
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
                    I went with \Ooption 'C' and selected a $45 Cosco car seat from Target that lacks the footrests and crossbar, but mounts to a plywood deck which in turn mounts to my Xtra's EcoDeck.

                    The BoBike requires a little bending of the wire-mounted footrests to clear the deck; the Peapod wasn't available at the time I was looking but the wide molded footrests looked like they'd interfere with the bags and wideloaders.

                    Of course, a trip to the hardware store, a bit of precision drilling and some light woodworking is required to make Option 'C' work for you.
                  • Denise E K Martin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                      Hi Dave,

                      We used to use a Bobike Mini, which is in front of the driver, and then when our son got too tall, we switched to a Bobike Maxi (and that's when I got my Ute). I had no reservations about having our son, who was right around his 3rd birthday at that time, being in the Maxi. I wouldn't have trusted him with some homemade setup, because he was/is at the age where he's pretty impetuous.

                      I never seriously considered the PeaPod LT because I liked the Bobike Mini so much. And I'm very happy with the Maxi. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing safety one iota. It's extremely sturdy, and I have full access to all our stuff. His feet are secured (i.e. not kicking me), and he either just sits there or puts his hands on the arm-rest area. He's never had a stoker bar. And I bike in very heavy Philly traffic, in which vehicles just are not looking out for bikes. I'm not at all convinced that you need plastic around 3 sides of your kid to be safe, but you do need something that is not going to come loose if you tip the bike over or if your kid is squirming.

                      --Denise