Re: [rootsradicals] Cost considerations....

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
      I am one of those cheap bast........um....frugal people too.  I am always looking for bikes to fix up.  I went ahead and ordered an X from the company and have been sending them money bit by bit and they have been very cool about it.  But I now have TWO choices in what to put the X on (I should be here in a few weeks!)  I have an elderly Jamis frame that I have built up with junk bike parts.  The frame was given to me from a guy on "Freecycle" (Check that out by the way!  I have gotten 3 bikes from it all for FREE.  All were repaired and given to friends or arre being used!  I have given away a bunch of stuff too!)  and I also have a Schwinn "searcher" Mixte/womens frame that might work well also.  I really like the Jamis.  It is beat up, but no dents really. Just scrapes and scratches, maybe I will repaint it with flat black or something!

      mark

      On 7/6/07, jegarh <jegarh@...> wrote:
      About 4 years ago I saw my first Xtracycle conversion.  I had to have
      one.

      I am parsimonious by nature so I started looking for a "good deal".
      Within a few weeks I had located a 26" new in box XtraCycle on Ebay
      for $260.  Now I had a problem....What to attach it to.....I had my
      ear to the ground and a friend of mine asked me if I knew of anybody
      that would be interested in a MTB ($40) their son had taken to
      college and then abandoned it at their house.  It was an aluminum
      frame Mongoose hard tail that was the "one size fits all" kind that
      is sold in tire stores and dept stores.  The frame was nicely welded
      aluminum and looked substantial and had a very low, large profile
      down tube/top tube.  It works well since I can "step" through it when
      I have stuff piled on the FreeRadical too high to swing a leg over.

      I had a pile of old bike parts and a RockShok Jet that I bought for
      $35/shipping on Ebay.  A set of Albatross bars, cheap platform
      pedals, 2 $10 walmart 26X2 slicks and a pair of slimed tubes, junk
      box deraillers and a cheap set of Sram shifters and I was ready to
      start hauling myself and an incredible assortment of things to and
      from work (10 mles).

      I have now commuted over 6,000 miles in the last 3+ years.  The route
      is 2 miles of rough rock road and 8 miles of typical urban heavy
      traffic.

      The point to my shaggy dog story is that it can be done economically.

      Jerry Rhodes

      ride to believe.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      "Human Misery is caused by human expectations."  Buddah

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
    • Philip.X.Diaz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
        i got my FreeRadical for $50, un-used, from a friend.

        he bought it, never found the time to install it, then had to purge
        his possessions for a cross-country move. lucky me!

        so yes.. it can be done on the cheap, especially if you can find one
        used.

        Philip
        Berkeley CA

        On Jul 6, 2007, at 1:51 PM, jegarh wrote:

        > About 4 years ago I saw my first Xtracycle conversion. I had to have
        > one.
        >
        > I am parsimonious by nature so I started looking for a "good deal".
        > Within a few weeks I had located a 26" new in box XtraCycle on Ebay
        > for $260. Now I had a problem....What to attach it to.....I had my
        > ear to the ground and a friend of mine asked me if I knew of anybody
        > that would be interested in a MTB ($40) their son had taken to
        > college and then abandoned it at their house. It was an aluminum
        > frame Mongoose hard tail that was the "one size fits all" kind that
        > is sold in tire stores and dept stores. The frame was nicely welded
        > aluminum and looked substantial and had a very low, large profile
        > down tube/top tube. It works well since I can "step" through it when
        > I have stuff piled on the FreeRadical too high to swing a leg over.
        >
        > I had a pile of old bike parts and a RockShok Jet that I bought for
        > $35/shipping on Ebay. A set of Albatross bars, cheap platform
        > pedals, 2 $10 walmart 26X2 slicks and a pair of slimed tubes, junk
        > box deraillers and a cheap set of Sram shifters and I was ready to
        > start hauling myself and an incredible assortment of things to and
        > from work (10 mles).
        >
        > I have now commuted over 6,000 miles in the last 3+ years. The route
        > is 2 miles of rough rock road and 8 miles of typical urban heavy
        > traffic.
        >
        > The point to my shaggy dog story is that it can be done economically.
        >
        > Jerry Rhodes
        >

        > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
        > Xtracycle roots radical.

        > ride to believe.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
          Well, I am so pumped about the XtraCycle that I am thinking seriously about selling my WizWheels Trike.  I have a 3.6 which is a great trike, but the X is a much more suitable bike for my use!

          mark

              mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "Human Misery is caused by human expectations."  Buddah

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
            Why not mount the X on your trike? ;-)

            Juergen

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
              That is an excellent idea, but In all honesty, I am trying to sell the trike.  I have run into a fairly serious crisis and need some ready cash.

              Know anyone who wants a really nice trike?
              mark

              Mark Garvey wrote:

> [...]
              >     > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >     >
              >     >
              >     >
              >

              >     You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
              >     Xtracycle roots radical.

              >     to:          rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              >     <mailto: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              >

              >     ride to believe.
              >     Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >         (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              >         mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
              >     <mailto:rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>
              >

              > --
              > "Human Misery is caused by human expectations."  Buddah
              >
              > Mark  Garvey
              > Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!
              >
              > Check out the web site at:
              > http://www.vine-ave.com <http://www.vine-ave.com>
              >
              > contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next

              "Human Misery is caused by human expectations."  Buddha