accessible storage, was Riding no hands etc.

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
      Got a picture or two of this?

      Accessible storage:
      This is not really goofy or that dangerous, but I made an open “bin” out
      of aluminum sheeting. It is as wide as the inside of the V-racks, about
      six inches deep, and around a foot long. It is bolted I think on the
      standard brake mounts (I have disc brakes) and rests at an angle on top of
      what I suppose would be called the Big Dummies’ upper seat stays. There
      are two holes cut out in the rear lowest corners of the bin floor to allow
      drainage of rain and dirt. I made this addition to allow for a rider or
      passenger to store something within reach. When the rider reaches for
      something though, he or she has to extend themselves a bit, especially if
      it is a smaller object toward the back of the bin. I usually store my 3’
      kryptonite chain in the bin or optional cold weather gear. Having the bin
      is great for a cold morning commute when I do not have time to do a proper
      warm up. Instead I just gear up with extra layers, then when I feel myself
      getting hot I simply peel some clothes or accessories off while still in
      motion and drop them behind me in the bin. This add-on feature on my bike
      may not seem too dangerous to some, but try taking off a zipper-less
      hoodie on a bike and tucking it behind you without stopping. It is also
      really nice to have this convenient open storage space when it starts
      getting too cold again.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
        David,

        No, I do not have a picture or two… I have at least FIVE photos I can
        share of my Big Dummy’s “Drop-Box” storage area with everyone.

        Side view:
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-SideView.jpg
        Front view:
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-FrontView.jpg
        Passenger view:
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-PassengerView.jpg
        Close up of the inside taken from beside the stem of the stoker bar:
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InFromStoker.jpg
        Close up of the back of the Drop-Box hidden beneath the Snap-Deck:
        http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InRearUnderDeck.jpg

        It may not look extremely pretty, but it is functional and has not shown
        much wear other than some fraying of the duct tape and slight dents in
        the floor of the Drop-Box from where my 3’ chain bumps against. I realize
        the duct tape probably causes it to look especially “trailer park” or
        whatever, but its color matched the aluminum plating pretty well and I
        did not want to have such a sharp edge to the aluminum, which I did file
        down anyway. The entire Drop-Box is formed from a single sheet of
        aluminum to avoid joining edges, etc. The primary spot where edges have
        to attach together is near the arch/curve at the front. Though it looks
        like the curved walls do not attach to the floor, near the front a
        section of the floor has “teeth” or “dove tails”, that are bent up 90
        degrees and interlock in front of and behind the wall before being
        covered and attached together by the duct tape. In addition, at the peak
        of its curve the floor also has a “tongue” about 1”-1.5” wide and as long
        as the wall is tall. At that joining point the walls actually over lap
        slightly beyond the tongue and I drilled one or two rows of small holes
        vertically through three layers of the walls and the tongue. These holes
        allowed me to stitch electrical wire through them for a very strong
        joint, which was them covered in duct tape for cosmetic reasons. If you
        look at the front and passenger views in my photos, you will notice a
        slight crease or bulge line under the duct tape along where it covers the
        tongue. That line is the wire stitching underneath.
        It would have probably been much easier to make a wedge or triangular
        front end to the Drop-Box instead of the curved edge I made because two
        straight edges in a wedge would have only needed two continuous fold-up
        “teeth”, which would have definitely been more secure and easier to bend
        up and overlap with the walls. However, I felt that the curved front
        allowed some extra space at the entry opening to the Drop-Box.
        Furthermore, aesthetically a wedge front edge behind the seat post would
        have felt “sharper”, which is not something I wanted considering the
        aluminum sheeting already appeared somewhat dangerous to the touch.

        The aluminum sheeting I used came from non usable printing plates, which
        I salvaged from my old plate-making job. That is why they have that
        greenish-blue coloring on one side. Some of the plates I snatched up
        actually have imagery or text on them, but mostly I tried to score ones
        that had become completely exposed with that uniform coloring. I scored a
        lot of those types of plates. Even if I did not save them myself they
        would have all been recycled anyway, but they have come in real handy for
        a number of projects. Including a hay feeder for our pet bunnies made
        with a combination of green garden fencing. It allows a full super-sized
        bag of hay to simply be emptied out directly into the feeder with less
        hay mess scattered about, and it replaces a section of their cage wall
        where it mounts. I also made up a mini-air-duct, which I attached to a
        computer fan also salvaged from my old job. I use it occasionally to vent
        hot air from inside the electronics/media cabinet where our Xbox sits
        under the TV. Xbox 360s have been known to fail due to overheating, so I
        did not want to take any chances. My wife and I have also considered
        using the plates in a possible update to our kitchen as a back-splash (?)
        behind the counters to give it that modern stainless steel look.
        For about a year I actually kept a white-board template I cut out to form
        the aluminum sheeting in case someone on this list might show interest in
        making their own. Unfortunately, I eventually got rid of it due to no
        signs of interest. Sheets of that white-board from the template along
        with tissue paper, metallic-sided thick craft paper, and cardboard boxes
        were also something I salvaged from work. They were all used in the
        packaging of the printing plates. The cardboard got recycled, but the
        other stuff did not. The white board was basically like one-side
        laminated poster board, which could be used for signs or school projects
        (if we had any kids that is). The tissue paper was nice to shred and use
        as bunny litter or stuffing as padding in shipping boxes/gift bags, while
        the metallic craft paper made awesome looking strong gift wrap. Even
        though that cardboard got recycled, it was extra thick and already came
        in a nice sized sheet, so I liked using them as raw material for custom
        box making for shipping or gifts. I actually made “ginger bread” houses
        and men with it as Xmas packaging one year.
        Even though I no longer seem to have that white-board template, I did
        find a rough sketch with measurements. It would not be too difficult to
        translate the measurements into a 2-D template in Adobe Illustrator. I
        could then upload a PDF or JPG file of it to my server to share with
        everyone here. I do not want to go to the trouble of doing this though
        unless at least one person is seriously considering making their own
        based on my design.

        Enjoy and Ride Safe,
        _TONE_
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
          That's pretty clever! Thanks for the photos. I've considered some sort of storage under there, such as a drawer attached to the bottom of the Snap Deck. Yours is simple and an efficient use of space.

          Steve

          On Jul 29, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Tone wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > No, I do not have a picture or two… I have at least FIVE photos I can
          > share of my Big Dummy’s “Drop-Box” storage area with everyone.
          >
          > Side view:
          > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-SideView.jpg
          > Front view:
          > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-FrontView.jpg
          > Passenger view:
          > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-PassengerView.jpg
          > Close up of the inside taken from beside the stem of the stoker bar:
          > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InFromStoker.jpg
          > Close up of the back of the Drop-Box hidden beneath the Snap-Deck:
          > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InRearUnderDeck.jpg
        • philip_b_chase
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
            Great stuff. Thanks so much for the photos. I often have the problem of ditching the jacket I no longer need 'cause I have warmed up during the morning ride to work.

            One of the ironies of the Xtracycle design is you have gobs of storage but it is no longer accessible from the seat like a rear basket or bucket would be. I find myself dropping off the seat and on to the deck--while riding--to stuff my jacket in to the FLs. It's not the safest maneuver. Perhaps if I make one of these I can change my foolish ways. :-)

            Philip

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > No, I do not have a picture or two… I have at least FIVE photos I can
            > share of my Big Dummy's "Drop-Box" storage area with everyone.
            >
            > Side view:
            > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-SideView.jpg
            > Front view:
            > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-FrontView.jpg
            > Passenger view:
            > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-PassengerView.jpg
            > Close up of the inside taken from beside the stem of the stoker bar:
            > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InFromStoker.jpg
            > Close up of the back of the Drop-Box hidden beneath the Snap-Deck:
            > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InRearUnderDeck.jpg

          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
              Thankfully, I'm 6'6" and my lank can reach the bags for on-the-fly clothing removal.

              Now, all I need is a pole. :P

              "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."  – H.G. Wells

              graphical structuralist rick@...
              888.537-1401 | oh the things you'll haul

              On Jul 29, 2010, at 11:31 AM, philip_b_chase wrote:

              Great stuff. Thanks so much for the photos. I often have the problem of ditching the jacket I no longer need 'cause I have warmed up during the morning ride to work.

              One of the ironies of the Xtracycle design is you have gobs of storage but it is no longer accessible from the seat like a rear basket or bucket would be. I find myself dropping off the seat and on to the deck--while riding--to stuff my jacket in to the FLs. It's not the safest maneuver. Perhaps if I make one of these I can change my foolish ways. :-)

              Philip

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

              > David,
              >
              > No, I do not have a picture or two… I have at least FIVE photos I can
              > share of my Big Dummy's "Drop-Box" storage area with everyone.
              >
              > Side view:
              > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-SideView.jpg
              > Front view:
              > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-FrontView.jpg
              > Passenger view:
              > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-PassengerView.jpg
              > Close up of the inside taken from beside the stem of the stoker bar:
              > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InFromStoker.jpg
              > Close up of the back of the Drop-Box hidden beneath the Snap-Deck:
              > http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DropBox-InRearUnderDeck.jpg

            • Shannon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
                I have lots of silliness, namely 3 and 5 year old boys on board daily, who do some modified wrestling while biking or at the least a fair amount of poking and wiggling. Too unpredictible for riding no hands! But they are good for holding on to or stowing ditched clothing when I start to warm up.

                Just joined the list, think I will switch to digest-- it is busy! But looking forward to hearing more tips, tricks and experiences. I'm not much of a DIYer when it comes to bikes but am looking for more ideas to make my mamacycle even better. I have an X on my Breezer Uptown 8 with a Bobike kid seat for my 3 year old. The 5 year old holds on the the seat back (we've ridden a friend too quite a few times too for a total of 3 boys on back). We love our bike and live in a pretty great place for riding, small town Ashland, Oregon. We upgraded from a 5-wheel, trailer and trail-a-bike monstrosity "train" last fall.

                Anyone made any sort of double railing attachment for kids like the first four pics on this page? http://www.joe-bike.com/bikes/cargo-bikes/the-joe-bike/ That is what I would love once my 3 year old gets bigger. Cheers, Shannon
              • Rick Pickett
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
                  I gathered some flickr images of Xtracycle custom kid seat setups, one includes the conduit railing like Joe Bike:

                  Welcome and keep on ridin' on!

                  Rick

                  "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard

                  graphic wrangler | rick@...
                  888.537-1401 | fully engage

[...]

                • Miguel Barroso
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 29, 2010
                    Hi Shannon,

                    Checkout mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4624030929/

                    I have two kids, about the same age as yours, and they love this setup!

                    I've had a double seat setup before, but they didn't like it, it was not as versatile, and the center of gravity was also higher, making it harder to balance: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4315932702/

                    Cheers

                    From: "Shannon" <chicaverde@...>
                    Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:47:05 -0700

                    Sent via the WebMail system at phneutro.com
                  • Travers, Neil
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
                      Message
                      Not always so busy, but can be a little...

                      JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
                      2010368312295246194107345
                      2009195150274238187161179172212300139170

                      And I think someone has done something like the rails, though I can't remember who it was or when, sorry.

[...]

                    • michael kestner
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
                        Hi Shannon,

                          I made my own rail set up and my son LOVES it.

                         I used 2 pcs of 1/2 electrical conduit I sourced from my local hrdware store. I cut I think 5 ft of each simply bent it to look like my v racks but taller. They didn't bend perfectly but they get the job done. I then drilled holes into the bottom of them and mounted them through the tubes for my wide loaders. I don't have w-loaders yet, but I do anticipate having some soon, so I used wingnuts on one side for quick release. I mounted them onto 2 pcs of all thread I also bought at the hrdware store. Be sure to get a series of washers for mounting also, as this is what keeps the rails stable down there. On the top, rear I simply used pipe clamps to the v racks for added support. I finished it by wrapping in inner tube for some grip. This set up works very well and my 4 yo thinks he's the man back there, waves to everyone like he's in a parade!

                        Thank You,

                        Mike

[...]

                      • Nathan Klatt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
                          On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Miguel Barroso
                          <miguelbarroso@...> wrote:

                          > Checkout mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrsh/4624030929/

                          Awesome!!!
                        • Elise Giddings
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
                            I got a front basket for this accessible storage problem which works quite well. Does effect handling if you have a bunch of weight up there. But I also find it VERY useful for removing any toys and stuffed animals that are causing some wrestling and angst in the back with the kiddos - many a time has The Grinch ridden up front in the basket!

                            I love the curved rear aluminum box though - great use of space!

                            -Elise
                            Cycle 9
                            http://www.cycle9.com
                          • jj

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 31, 2010
                                Tone,

                                Thanks so much for posting pix and description. Neat bin. I may do something similar, but I want to retain access to that rearmost bottle cage--that is where I carry my coffee (Contigo--leak proof and holds heat a long time).