Hi there!

  • mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2007
      Technically I am a new X owner. I have made the nut on my X but they
      won't have any in for a month yet. drat! So, for you who think all
      cyclists are 20 something and skinny kids....I am 53 (be 54 in
      September!) I am a professional driver! I drive trucks...you got it.
      18 wheels, 80,000 lbs and all that! But I am also a fanatic cyclist
      and have been intrigued by the X ever since I saw one in person here
      in town. My bike often rides along with my payload of carpet that I
      deliver throughout Iowa so that I can get in some recreation, some
      fitness and so I can have a way to go SOMEWHERE other than to a
      truckstop for food! (truckstop food often sucks!) The other day I
      went and picked up a bag of ice for a fellow driver who was out. He
      needed it for his cooler and had no way to get any so I picked up some
      and brought it back to him. He was amazed that I could carry ice on a
      bike! Wait until the X comes! Next time, i will take HIM to the ice!

      HAH!

      OK, so I am nuts. I have been a nut for bikes longer than a lot of
      people have been breathing. Bikes are possibly the most perfect
      transportation invention of all time! the X makes it WAY better!

      mark
    • Justina Voulgaris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2007

        Welcome, Mark!  I think you will find that many of us are not 20 something (I'm mid-40s myself).  Good idea to bring your bike on your road trips.  It's amazing how freeing a bicycle is.

        My new X has been delivered to the bike shop but not yet assembled.  Hopefully by next week, I'll be doing all my errands by bike!

        Justina

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007

          Mark, did you say you are from Iowa? If so, what part?

          Amos Patrick

          Research Assistant

          Virtual Soldier Research

          The University of Iowa

          http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/vsr/

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007
            I am not far from you Amos!  I may have seen you a time or two!  I live in Cedar Rapids.  and in fact i was IN Iowa City this morning making deliveries in a big truck!  I have seen one or two X bikes around IC and that has been part of the impetus for me to get one.  One used to be parked in the bike rack by the hydrology lab on riverside drive and I recently saw one up near Oakdale/North Liberty that scooted across 965 and into a shopping/business park.  there is also one here in CR and I spoke to the owner during the Mayors Bike ride last fall.  I was on my trike for that ride!  I would like to get together with people who are interested in cargo bikes at some point.  Maybe have a ride or something!

            mark

            --
            "Human Misery is caused by human expectations."  Buddha

            Mark  Garvey
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

            Check out the web site at:
            http://www.vine-ave.com