Re: How Much Chain?

  • davidmoskovitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, mac stricklen
      <MAC_STRICKLEN@...> wrote:

      > I think the time to replace the wear-able bits of my
      > Xtracycle's drivetrain has come, but I'm not sure how
      > much chain is needed.

      I don't think it quite that much, but it's definitely more than 1
      and less than 2. If you want to know precisely, you can current
      chain's links OR measure how far the Free Radical moves the rear
      wheel, and do some math.

      std chain is around 110 links, give or take (I think a typical chain
      comes with 114 links, and I usually end up taking out a few). The
      Free Radical moves the rear wheel back by x inches, at 2 links per
      inch (1/2" pitch), you'll need 110 + 4x.

      I'm not at home, otherwise I'd go measure, but lets assume the Free
      Rad. moves the rear wheel 16" back. 110 + 4*16 = 174. So in this,
      you need a little more than 1.5 chains. I stand corrected.

      Can you tell I'd rather be somewhere other than here at work?
    • alexbknight
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
        Normally the amount of chain required for a bike is quite simple.
        Put the chain on the large front cog, and on the large rear one, not
        running through the derailleur, and add two links.
        I don't think it would be any different for an X, i did mine this way.

        Cheers

        Alex

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "davidmoskovitz" <damosk@...>