How Much Chain?

  • mac stricklen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      I think the time to replace the wear-able bits of my
      Xtracycle's drivetrain has come, but I'm not sure how
      much chain is needed.

      I know that the specific amount will vary from
      bike-to-bike, but in general, am I correct in my
      assumption that it's about a chain-and-a-half?

      Thanks,
      mac

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        Make sure you have the footsies on it - they make a difference. A rear
        handlebar is usually nice too.

        I routinely carry both my 4-yr old and my 8-yr old at the same time.

        Last night I picked up my wife from the local mall by Xtracycle and we
        both got home just fine.

        http://www.acclivity.ca/photos/2007/04/23/IMG_3962.jpg

        Juergen

        Limor wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Is there anyone in NYC/westchester/putnam county with an X out there
        > that would be willing to give us a spin?
        >
        > we are trying to decide whether it would work to take our 5-yr old to
        > school every day, about 3 miles each direction.
        > thanks!
        > LT

      • davidmoskovitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, mac stricklen
          <MAC_STRICKLEN@...> wrote:

          > I think the time to replace the wear-able bits of my
          > Xtracycle's drivetrain has come, but I'm not sure how
          > much chain is needed.

          I don't think it quite that much, but it's definitely more than 1
          and less than 2. If you want to know precisely, you can current
          chain's links OR measure how far the Free Radical moves the rear
          wheel, and do some math.

          std chain is around 110 links, give or take (I think a typical chain
          comes with 114 links, and I usually end up taking out a few). The
          Free Radical moves the rear wheel back by x inches, at 2 links per
          inch (1/2" pitch), you'll need 110 + 4x.

          I'm not at home, otherwise I'd go measure, but lets assume the Free
          Rad. moves the rear wheel 16" back. 110 + 4*16 = 174. So in this,
          you need a little more than 1.5 chains. I stand corrected.

          Can you tell I'd rather be somewhere other than here at work?
        • alexbknight
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
            Normally the amount of chain required for a bike is quite simple.
            Put the chain on the large front cog, and on the large rear one, not
            running through the derailleur, and add two links.
            I don't think it would be any different for an X, i did mine this way.

            Cheers

            Alex

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "davidmoskovitz" <damosk@...>