seeking a ride

  • Limor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hi all,
      Is there anyone in NYC/westchester/putnam county with an X out there that would be willing to give us a spin?

      we are trying to decide whether it would work to take our 5-yr old to school every day, about 3 miles each direction.
      thanks!
      LT
    • bross_nyc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        Hi there - I have one in Stamford, CT. You're welcome to test ride her.

        -Brian

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Limor <limorbitte@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Is there anyone in NYC/westchester/putnam county with an X out there
        that would be willing to give us a spin?

        > we are trying to decide whether it would work to take our 5-yr old
        to school every day, about 3 miles each direction.
        > thanks!
        > LT

      • mac stricklen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
          I think the time to replace the wear-able bits of my
          Xtracycle's drivetrain has come, but I'm not sure how
          much chain is needed.

          I know that the specific amount will vary from
          bike-to-bike, but in general, am I correct in my
          assumption that it's about a chain-and-a-half?

          Thanks,
          mac

          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            Make sure you have the footsies on it - they make a difference. A rear
            handlebar is usually nice too.

            I routinely carry both my 4-yr old and my 8-yr old at the same time.

            Last night I picked up my wife from the local mall by Xtracycle and we
            both got home just fine.

            http://www.acclivity.ca/photos/2007/04/23/IMG_3962.jpg

            Juergen

            Limor wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > Is there anyone in NYC/westchester/putnam county with an X out there
            > that would be willing to give us a spin?
            >
            > we are trying to decide whether it would work to take our 5-yr old to
            > school every day, about 3 miles each direction.
            > thanks!
            > LT

          • davidmoskovitz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, mac stricklen
              <MAC_STRICKLEN@...> wrote:

              > I think the time to replace the wear-able bits of my
              > Xtracycle's drivetrain has come, but I'm not sure how
              > much chain is needed.

              I don't think it quite that much, but it's definitely more than 1
              and less than 2. If you want to know precisely, you can current
              chain's links OR measure how far the Free Radical moves the rear
              wheel, and do some math.

              std chain is around 110 links, give or take (I think a typical chain
              comes with 114 links, and I usually end up taking out a few). The
              Free Radical moves the rear wheel back by x inches, at 2 links per
              inch (1/2" pitch), you'll need 110 + 4x.

              I'm not at home, otherwise I'd go measure, but lets assume the Free
              Rad. moves the rear wheel 16" back. 110 + 4*16 = 174. So in this,
              you need a little more than 1.5 chains. I stand corrected.

              Can you tell I'd rather be somewhere other than here at work?
            • alexbknight
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
                Normally the amount of chain required for a bike is quite simple.
                Put the chain on the large front cog, and on the large rear one, not
                running through the derailleur, and add two links.
                I don't think it would be any different for an X, i did mine this way.

                Cheers

                Alex

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "davidmoskovitz" <damosk@...>