Rainforest Protection in Brazil

  • mrgooddave@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      Brazilian congress is now voting on a project that will reduce the Amazon
      forest to 50% of its size. The area to be
      deforested is 4 times the size of Portugal and would be mainly used for
      agriculture and pastures and for livestock... All the wood is to be sold
      international markets in the form of woodchips, by multinational
      companies... The truth is that the soil in the Amazon forest is useless
      without the forest itself. Its quality is very acidic and the region is
      prone to constant floods. At this time more than 160,000 square kilometres
      deforested with the same purpose, are abandoned and in the process of
      becoming deserts. We cannot let this happen in silence.
      Copy the text into a new email, put your complete name in the list below,
      and send to everyone you know.
      (Don't just forward it because then it will end up with rows of >>>'s!!)

      If you are the 200th, 400th, 600th, etc. person to sign please send a copy
      fsaviolo@...
      mailto:fsaviolo@...
      And start from no 1.
      Thank you.

      > 1.Miranda Jelbart, Adelaide, Australia
      > 2. Marie Hogg, Adelaide, Australia
      > 3. Raymond Cripps, Adelaide, Australia
      > 4. Joe & Sabine Baker, Cobbs Creek,VA, USA
      > 5. Christina Baker, Richmond, VA, USA
      > 6. William Lynchesky, Richmond, VA, USA
      > 7. Melody Gardner, Newport News, VA, USA
      > 8. Ashley Taylor, Richmond, VA, USA
      > 9. Kris Johnson, Cardiff, CA, USA >>
      > 10. Rebecca Remley, Broomfield CO USA
      > 11. Cara Hren, Denver, CO USA
      > 12. Andrea Linton, Petlauma, CA USA
      > 13. Kate Tierney, Longmont, Co. USA
      > 14. Kara Powis, Longmont, Co. USA
      > 15. Phil Winters, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, CANADA
      > 16. sara robinette, denver, co. USA
      > 17. Trisha Westhoff, Westgate, IA USA
      > 18. Amy Addison, Denver, CO USA
      > 19. Andrea Runyan, Tempe, AZ USA