Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Yuba "Go-Getter" bag on Xtracycle?

  • Rick Pickett
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 14, 2010
      Yeah, I agree that it is a bit of a PITA to install/uninstall WideLoaders with KickBack. It's definitely more useful in Permanent WideLoader or no WideLoader mode.

      Will pass along the notes.

      I didn't use my WideLoaders much (thanks CamStraps!) so I permanently installed modified footsies on my Big Dummy and they work great:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/sets/72157622634104582/

      "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

      artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
      888.537-1401 | every day adventure

      On Jul 14, 2010, at 9:35 AM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

      Perfect thanks...I'll post to my blog.  Definitely on my short list of stuff to buy this year...=-)

      Since I'm on a roll I gotta throw out a plug for my other Xtra product I'd like to see improved:

      The Kickback:

      - can you change the mounting point from the same holes the wideloaders/ footsies use to a bracket that clamps to the Big Dummy/Xtra frame?
      - this would allow for full use of all Xtracycle accessories without a real PITA every time you want to swap in your wideloaders or when you want to use Footsies.
      - my GF loves the Footsies so not using them is not an option!
      - the stand itself is great...just needs to get mounted elsewhere

      Thanks!

      On 2010-07-14, at 9:17 AM, Rick Pickett wrote:

      Hey Vik, et al.,

      The future listened, and we answered:

      We went with a new fabric manufacturer, the same company that handles Arc'Terx, NorthFace and other high performance textile manufacturing. We beefed up the material for longer wear, the inner pockets are waterproof (but don't try fording a river) and, best of all, there is no longer a left or right. They now buckle on in five places and attach to the lower Xtracycle stays like the '08/'09 versions do.

      They also come in three outside panel colors with a gray interior for better visibility of what's in your bag.

      You can see the rest of our new items here:

      I particularly love Hoodie, but I ride a Big Dummy and it's not compatible due to the traditional stylized seat stays :( .

      Ride on!

      Rick

      "Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use."  – Charles Schulz

      assistant (to the) visual manager  | rick@xtracycle. com
      888.537-1401 | find your eleventh gear

      On Jul 14, 2010, at 9:04 AM, baja_vik wrote:

      I had a peek at some Yuba bags - they look nice. I'm happy with the design of the Xtracycle Freeloader bags I just wish they were made of something more robust and the inside portion and pocket was waterproof. I believe the original version was made of hypalon which meets both of my goals...hopefully they'll go back to the future on that product.

      I'll solder on until my bags are not serviceable any longer, but I don't put anything in the pockets that can't get wet and stay wet.

      If I was starting from scratch I think I'd go with the pannier racks....not as versatile, but I could use my Ortlieb panniers which are very tough and 100% waterproof.

      safe riding,

      Vik
      www.thelazyrando. com

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, Alan Abrams <abayye@...> wrote:

      > Hey, Folks. Has anybody tried mounting one of Yuba's Go-Getter
      > <http://yubaride. com/yubashop/ 21-utility- bike-panniers. html>bags on an
      > Xtracycle? Yuba claims the bag can be "used with other longtail bicycles."

    • rabbiabrams
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 29, 2010
        I like the suggestion about putting the Wide-Loader in further; I will
        watch out for possibility that the pop out locking buttons will get
        stuck farther in.

        It's true that the Go-Getter bag is lacking some kind of cinch; it would
        really help with the rain-proofing if it did.

        Be well.

        --Alan

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

        > Alan,
        >
        > The Go-getter looks almost exactly like most oversized professional
        > messenger bags, and considering the designer operated Ped-Ex couriers,
        > that is understandable. I do not have a Go-getter or seen one in
        person,
        > but from the on-line photos I have looked at, the only major
        difference I
        > can see between an XL pro-mess bag and the go-getter is the latter has
        > the built in clips to attach to a long tail bike. If that is the major
        > difference, then my experience while being an Xtracycle based cargo
        bike
        > messenger in New York City should be relevant to your questions.
        > Normally when I would ride every day for work I would keep a
        wide-loader
        > slid in on the left side of the Xtracycle (non-drive chain side) with
        > long-loader installed along with it, and keep a second set of the same
        > tucked in the right side's free-loader bags just in case I had to
        carry
        > loads in both sides. However, to allow for better maneuvering in
        traffic
        > the majority of the time I would actually slide the left wide-loader
        in
        > as far as it can go, which might have been easier for me since my
        > wide-loaders are older and do not have the pop out locking buttons.
        Even
> [...]
        included,
        > you can still utilize a similar set up. You would just keep the sling
        in
        > place, but instead of wrapping the free-loader flap under and around
        the
        > wide-loader, you simply wrap the flap under and around the go-getter
        bag.
        > It should not even be necessary to clip the go-getter in, so it would
        be
        > easier/faster to take with you when you go indoors, etc.
        > It should be noted, that with the wide-loader slid in all the way you
        > will have to "tighten" or "shorten" the little Velcro
        straps, which
        > attach the wide-loader sling to the FreeRadical frame. Regardless of
        this
        > I am pretty sure they will still work the same from what I remember.
        > These days since I live in York, PA and have much more space to lock
        up
        > my Big Dummy on my porch's bike rack, so I simply keep both
        wide-loaders
        > & long-haulers installed all the time. Even without any load I feel
        like
        > driver's notice me more and it also makes it quite obvious to
        people why
        > my bicycle is longer and the practical function it provides…
        without
        > having to stop and explain as much to everyone I pass.
        >
        > With the free-loader in place you also do not have to worry about
        your
        > go-getter slouching back into your rear wheel or being exposed
        directly
        > to dirt kicked up from your back wheel. It would really suck to grab
        your
        > go-getter and hang it off your shoulder, then realize later you
        allowed
        > the kicked up dirt on the back of the bag to rub up against your nice
        > white shirt! Also, your go-getter will not be directly rubbing up
        against
        > any possible rear disk brake system either. It is one thing to wear
        out a
        > small hole in your free-loader against the disc brake, but it is
        another
        > to create the same hole in what should be a water-proof carrying bag.
        > From the picture it looks like you might have a rear disc brake, so if
        > you do I HIGHLY recommend getting a disc brake guard. I can not find
        them
        > on the Xtracycle site right now, but they did have them. Basically it
        was
        > just a derailleur guard, which was slightly bent to work correctly
        with
        > disc brakes on the FreeRadical or Big Dummy.
        >
        > As for the go-getter's "shower cap", I can tell you that
        it probably will
        > not work all the time. As and X-pro messenger, who was a member of the
        NY
        > Bike Messenger Association and has traveled to a number of countries
        and
        > cities to participate in various courier related events… I can
        tell you
        > that water-proofing is always a problem with typical single-shoulder
        > messenger bags. The design of the flap on a single-strap bag is
        > convenient to allow for sliding the bag to the front and removing
        > packages, but the upper openings at the top of each flap, which the
        > shower cap is suppose to protect from rain, are always vulnerable. I
        will
        > say that since the go-getter is designed to be utilized in a
        horizontal
        > position on a long-tail bike instead of a diagonal position draped
        across
        > a messenger's back, the possibility of rain entering is decreased
        > substantially especially considering the shower caps extended the
        flap.
        > If they really wanted to make the shower-caps rain proof (not even
        fully
        > water proof), they could have incorporated a cinch strap along the
        > shower-cap's edge to help keep the flaps tight against the
        go-getter bag
        > and prevent wind from lifting them up. Even then I am not sure if it
        > would be the best system.
        > Something else you should realized about water-proofing, is that even
        the
        > best professional messenger bag with a separate floating water-proof
        > lining inside can eventually allow moisture inside unless every seam
        has
        > been properly taped. Even then, over time the contents being put in
        and
        > taken out will wear down the tape. That is when moisture can slowly
        soak
        > through the stitching during a heavy down pour. The only way to really
        > avoid moisture infiltration in any bag is to get what is known as a
        > "wet-bag". They can look kind of dorky because their tops fold
        and roll
        > down then clip/snap shut. You often see these on white-water rafting
        > expeditions, but some of the better-quality cycling panniers utilize
        this
        > design. Actually, I own a set of Ortleib panniers, which I have had
        for
        > around ten years. I do not use them much these days because I have a
        Big
        > Dummy instead of a regular bike with a rear rack. However, my rear
        rack
        > is mounted on my wife's bike, so she will occasionally use them.
        They
        > still work great, and I would definitely use them if I did not
        need/want
        > to carry my full messenger bag in the rain.
        > There has been some innovation in messenger bag design over the past
        ten
        > years though, including "wet-bag" style two-shoulder strap
        messenger
        > bags, like Chrome makes. They look a little weird, generally can not
        hold
        > as much, and have to be removed off a messenger's back before
        accessing
        > the contents, but they are definitely water-proof. They have not
        become
        > too popular among pro messengers because no matter what kind of bag a
        > messenger has, the messenger gets wet, so when they have to handle
        their
        > packages to insert or remove them, that is when stuff gets wet most. I
        > was better capable in keeping my packages dry with my Xtracycle
        because I
        > was able to carry a larger mess bag on the bike rather than on my
        back.
        > Not only would the rain be less likely to get under the flap ends due
        > the bag's horizontal position, but I could carry plastic shopping
        bags
        > inside without being concerned with too much bulk on my back. If I was
        > wet, then I could use the plastic bags to put individual packages in,
        so
        > I would primarily be touching only the plastic bags instead of the
        > packages directly. It was not a fool-proof system, but it was the best
        > thing any messenger could do while working in a steady rain storm.
        > This is probably not something most people would consider, but I also
        > used heavy duty black contractor bags to actually put my XL mess bag
        > inside while working as a messenger. This allowed me to roll down the
        > totally water-proof contractor bag as if it was a wet-bag, so my bag
        > barely got wet. The only time it did was when I went indoors and had
        > pull my mess bag out for the walk from my bike to a building. It was
        > actually extremely effective against water, and if over time a bag got
        > worn down and became not fully water-proof, then I had plenty more in
        the
        > box of contractor bags I bought, which only cost me a few bucks.
        Spending
        > a few dollars was worth the appreciation of clients, who would see me
        > soaked to the bone while their package was bone dry. Also, if I was
        not
        > carrying any packages for clients, I found that no one ever wanted to
        > bother opening a "garbage bag" on the back of a weird looking
        bike.
        > People, who only saw the bike without me around, probably thought my
        bike
        > belonged to a homeless person, who collected cans for recycling.
        > Therefore, having my stuff in a "garbage bag" deterred theft
        as well.

        > If someone made a roll-down wet-bag style XL messenger bag with a
        > floating liner, which was designed to be as big as could fit on a
        > long-tail bike with optional single and double shoulder straps, then
        that
        > would be the best option overall. <hint cough Xtracycle hint cough>
        The