Re: [rootsradicals] 200 pound capacity cargo bike

  • MH
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10 7:48 AM
      Heres a Yuba Mundo video from
      http://www.cycle9.com/blog/cargo-bikes/banana-ride-successful/
      carrying 400 pounds of banana. I think folks in third world
      countries walk and I don't know how many pounds on there back
      or head. A bicycle is a big help from what I've been reading.
      I've been dependent on my bicycles for the past year but I can
      call for a car or truck ride if I'm willing to pay the driver.

      Hows the 200 pound load on the X, Radish or BD? Any videos?

      Rich wrote:
      > MH;
      >
      > Thanks for the post and link, it does look interesting. In many respects it is quite similar to the old Raleigh rod brake roadsters that were exported around the world for 70 years or so. Similar spoke pattern of 40 rear and 32 front spokes. Also cottered steel cranks and very relaxed frame geometry. The biggest change I see is the use of a coaster brake rear hub.
      >
      > Has anyone actually tried a Mundo with 400 pounds + rider aboard? That could be a loaded weight approaching 700 pounds. At that weight I would think that there might be problems with bike control, particularly when mounting and dismounting if unaided by a helper.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:
      >> Simply amazing. This is one durable bicycle carrying
      >> 100 kg or 200 pounds like the X or BD. Sure is built
      >> rugged. Still not a Yuba Mundo which carries 200 kg.
      >> -Mark Hoagy
      >>
      >> Tires: 4-ply nylon casing with automotive grade rubber & heavy-duty tubes...
      >> People for whom the bicycle is not alternative transportation, it IS
      >> transportation....
      >>

      >> Tech Feature: World Bicycle Project Zambia Bike
      >> By Zack Vestal • Updated: Jun 17th 2009 2:22 PM EDT
      >> http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/06/bikes-tech/tech-feature-world-bicycle-project-zambia-bike_93508
    • MH
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10 10:34 AM
        I'd be interested in a video of a BD or Radish or an X
        carrying 200 pounds by a cyclist that weighs half that.
        Kind of like the Yuba Mundo cyclist weighed half the
        400 pound load on the youtube video. Does that sound
        fair enough? That would be like me trying to pedal a
        600 pound load since I weigh 280. I wonder if I could
        do that. Whats the load capacity of the Madisen cargo
        bike? I thought I read 271 kg. That I'd like to watch.

        16 gauge bicycle tubing most be pretty heavy duty.
        What gauge tubing is on the X, Radish & BD or even
        the Yuba Mundo or Madisen? Those were some pretty
        good sized 13 gauge spokes on the WBR Zambia bike.
        I've got 32 - 14 gauge spokes on my bicycles and
        I carried me, 305 pounds three months ago, with
        60 pounds of cargo. My bicycles most weigh 40-45
        pounds with racks & basket. When grocery shopping
        I also pull a 25 pound trailer and carry home 25-45
        pounds of food for the month.

        How many ply tire is a Schwalbe Big Apple 60x559mm?
        I'm using some MTB tires now that are 59x559mm.
        I think there 2 ply but don't really know.
      • MH
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10 10:50 AM
          Amazing capacities for cargo bikes. Not exactly your
          Sport Utility Bikes like the X, Radish or BD. More like
          a Chevy Suburban or Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator.

          Bullitt Cargo Bike - Capable of carrying loads of nearly 400 pounds.
          Madsen kg271 - Tested for up to 600 pounds.
          http://www.bikegallery.com/utility-bikes.php
        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11 8:08 AM
            A lot depends on whether you plan to pedal or add an electric assist, and how much you pedal. I have a BD and it rides (pedaled) like a dream, with or without a load. I have ridden an Yuba Mundo and frankly it is a quite pig by comparison. The YM is however a beefier design. As far as loads, I weigh around 160 and find loads up to about 100 lbs, or riders up to 150lbs pretty comfortable, once under way. Wider loads are less comfortable due to the multiplying effect (leverage) applied by weight further from the center line.

            David Dannenberg
          • akatemik
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11 9:41 AM
              > Hows the 200 pound load on the X, Radish or BD? Any videos?

              No videos, I haven't found a cameraman. But I've ridden passenger+load combos of roughly 200 pounds on my X for distances up to 10 miles. I'm 165 myself. The weight is probably at my limits; any heavier and I couldn't handle much of a hill. Also there's quite a bit of flex with that much weight on the back, so smooth roads are required (dirt roads are fine if there are no potholes).
            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11 9:46 AM
                For some heavy or bulky loads, a trike is better than a bike.  Or a trailer.

              • philip_b_chase
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 11 10:15 AM
                  I routinely did the same on my X and later my BD with passengers and their cargo. With this load there is a bit of flex in the X, but none on the Dummy. With cargo of similar mass I can usually perceive some flex even on the Dummy. I'm not sure if it was because the load was low and wide--it usually was--or if my kids were better at damping out the oscillations when they were part of that 200 pounds of load.

                  As to hills, no thanks--not with 200 lbs of cargo and passengers. I can do it, but it is not enjoyable. When I am relatively unloaded on level ground I keep pace with anyone not in Spandex. I think the Spandex makes the wearer think all of life is a race. How sad.

                  As to videos, nope not a one.

                  Philip

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12 3:28 PM
                    Pedal OR electric assist?  It is called 'electric ASSIST'; if your setup allows you to forgo petting, I submit that you have converted your bicycle to a motorcycle.