Re: 200 pound capacity cargo bike

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
      MH;

      Thanks for the post and link, it does look interesting. In many respects it is quite similar to the old Raleigh rod brake roadsters that were exported around the world for 70 years or so. Similar spoke pattern of 40 rear and 32 front spokes. Also cottered steel cranks and very relaxed frame geometry. The biggest change I see is the use of a coaster brake rear hub.

      Has anyone actually tried a Mundo with 400 pounds + rider aboard? That could be a loaded weight approaching 700 pounds. At that weight I would think that there might be problems with bike control, particularly when mounting and dismounting if unaided by a helper.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > create more problems than they solve. The Project Zambia bike is not only
      > durable, but also culturally and technologically appropriate for the region,
      > the conditions, and the end users.
      >
      > "The bicycles must be appropriate to the regions we serve — and we are
      > constantly evaluating what is appropriate and applying our knowledge of and
      > history in the bike industry to ensuring the bikes are rugged and durable
      > enough but still compatible with the existing infrastructure of spare
      > parts," said Strout. "It doesn't do to put a derailleur bike into a region
      > without a bike shop that can service it for 400 km! That said, we are not
      > beholden to one design of bicycle — the bikes we use in Southern Africa may
      > not be appropriate for Central America, for instance."
      >
      > The Project Zambia bike: Riding around Zambia is not like the typical
      > American commute.
      >
      > Photo:
      >
      > Every aspect of the improved Project Zambia bike is oriented toward
      > durability and serviceability. The frame and fork of the bike itself are
      > built from oversized, 16 gauge steel. The rear rack is tubular steel, tested
      > to a load of 100 kg. Automotive grade rubber is used in the tires, a
      > single-speed drivetrain is built with heavier-duty components, and rugged,
      > 40-spoke wheels are built to withstand heavy use.
      >
      > As a matter of fact, when I visited the Zipp factory in Speedway, Indiana
      > several months ago, a Project Zambia bike wheel was being tested on the DIN
      > bump drum test right alongside a Zipp 808 carbon tubular.
      >
      > So why is it not available in the USA? The biggest reason is that the
      > materials are delivered to Africa for assembly, because job creation in the
      > community is part of the overall goal. Furthermore, the components on the
      > bike are readily available in the areas served by World Bicycle Relief.
      > Importing an Project Zambia bike back to the USA simply wouldn't make
      > economic sense.
      >
      > For more information, or to make a donation, visit
      > www.worldbicyclerelief.org
      >
      > Component Highlights
      >
      > # • Frame: Oversized 16 gauge steel
      >
      > # • Fork: Oversized 16 gauge steel
      >
      > # • Headset: Caged, high-carbon steel ball bearing
      >
      > # • Wheels: 18 gauge steel rims with 13 gauge spokes, 40-spoke rear,
      > 32-spoke front
      >
      > # • Drivetrain: single speed with TATA chain (1.2mm side plates) tested to
      > 1050 KgF, 3mm chainring and 2.8mm cog thickness
      >
      > # • Brakes: coaster brake internal hub, tested in Germany for durability
      >
      > # • Stem: steel with 10-inches extension for comfortable reach
      >
      > # • Bar: steel riser with backsweep
      >
      > # • Seatpost: steel
      >
      > # • Saddle: poly foam topped cruiser saddle with elastomer springs
      >
      > # • Tires: 4-ply nylon casing with automotive grade rubber and heavy-duty tubes
      >
      > # • Tool Kit: Designed by Pedros, included with every bike
      >
      > # • Other: rear rack of tubular steel holds 100kg, fenders, and high-impact,

    • MH
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
        Heres a Yuba Mundo video from
        http://www.cycle9.com/blog/cargo-bikes/banana-ride-successful/
        carrying 400 pounds of banana. I think folks in third world
        countries walk and I don't know how many pounds on there back
        or head. A bicycle is a big help from what I've been reading.
        I've been dependent on my bicycles for the past year but I can
        call for a car or truck ride if I'm willing to pay the driver.

        Hows the 200 pound load on the X, Radish or BD? Any videos?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
          I'd be interested in a video of a BD or Radish or an X
          carrying 200 pounds by a cyclist that weighs half that.
          Kind of like the Yuba Mundo cyclist weighed half the
          400 pound load on the youtube video. Does that sound
          fair enough? That would be like me trying to pedal a
          600 pound load since I weigh 280. I wonder if I could
          do that. Whats the load capacity of the Madisen cargo
          bike? I thought I read 271 kg. That I'd like to watch.

          16 gauge bicycle tubing most be pretty heavy duty.
          What gauge tubing is on the X, Radish & BD or even
          the Yuba Mundo or Madisen? Those were some pretty
          good sized 13 gauge spokes on the WBR Zambia bike.
          I've got 32 - 14 gauge spokes on my bicycles and
          I carried me, 305 pounds three months ago, with
          60 pounds of cargo. My bicycles most weigh 40-45
          pounds with racks & basket. When grocery shopping
          I also pull a 25 pound trailer and carry home 25-45
          pounds of food for the month.

          How many ply tire is a Schwalbe Big Apple 60x559mm?
          I'm using some MTB tires now that are 59x559mm.
          I think there 2 ply but don't really know.
        • MH
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
            Amazing capacities for cargo bikes. Not exactly your
            Sport Utility Bikes like the X, Radish or BD. More like
            a Chevy Suburban or Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator.

            Bullitt Cargo Bike - Capable of carrying loads of nearly 400 pounds.
            Madsen kg271 - Tested for up to 600 pounds.
            http://www.bikegallery.com/utility-bikes.php
          • David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
              A lot depends on whether you plan to pedal or add an electric assist, and how much you pedal. I have a BD and it rides (pedaled) like a dream, with or without a load. I have ridden an Yuba Mundo and frankly it is a quite pig by comparison. The YM is however a beefier design. As far as loads, I weigh around 160 and find loads up to about 100 lbs, or riders up to 150lbs pretty comfortable, once under way. Wider loads are less comfortable due to the multiplying effect (leverage) applied by weight further from the center line.

              David Dannenberg
            • akatemik
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                > Hows the 200 pound load on the X, Radish or BD? Any videos?

                No videos, I haven't found a cameraman. But I've ridden passenger+load combos of roughly 200 pounds on my X for distances up to 10 miles. I'm 165 myself. The weight is probably at my limits; any heavier and I couldn't handle much of a hill. Also there's quite a bit of flex with that much weight on the back, so smooth roads are required (dirt roads are fine if there are no potholes).
              • Bruce Alan Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                  For some heavy or bulky loads, a trike is better than a bike.  Or a trailer.

                • philip_b_chase
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                    I routinely did the same on my X and later my BD with passengers and their cargo. With this load there is a bit of flex in the X, but none on the Dummy. With cargo of similar mass I can usually perceive some flex even on the Dummy. I'm not sure if it was because the load was low and wide--it usually was--or if my kids were better at damping out the oscillations when they were part of that 200 pounds of load.

                    As to hills, no thanks--not with 200 lbs of cargo and passengers. I can do it, but it is not enjoyable. When I am relatively unloaded on level ground I keep pace with anyone not in Spandex. I think the Spandex makes the wearer think all of life is a race. How sad.

                    As to videos, nope not a one.

                    Philip

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 12, 2010
                      Pedal OR electric assist?  It is called 'electric ASSIST'; if your setup allows you to forgo petting, I submit that you have converted your bicycle to a motorcycle.