Re: [rootsradicals] Drafting an xtracycle

  • Andrew Kreps
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8 12:31 PM
      On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:20 AM, akatemik <akatemik@...> wrote:
      Hi!

      As my girlfriend is finally getting herself a good bike, I've been wondering about tips for trekking. Is it possible to draft an xtracycle, or is the tail so long that the drafter is forced to stay away outside the air pocket?

      I've only ever tried to draft a Big Dummy on another Big Dummy, and I can tell you that it's challenging.   There is a pocket there, and it's well behind the rider and just a bit behind the tail.  Without the big tire and rake of a Big Dummy, a standard bike (or two) should have no trouble finding the wake.

      The nice thing about a dual Big Dummy draft is that with the bar behind the rear wheel, if you do tap a bit, the rear rider is less likely to crash since you really can't overlap wheels.  You just end up giving the front rider a bit of extra speed.  If you ain't rubbin, you ain't racin'!

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8 12:34 PM
        On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM, akatemik <akatemik@...> wrote:

        > The airpocket is huge behind a loaded xtra. You may need to draft  her.
        > FatRob

        I was assuming that the draft comes from the vertical driver, not the quite low bike itself. After all, I'm causing a lot bigger drag than the aerodynamical pipes. Does the amount of load affect how easily xtra can be drafted?

        You're right about it being the rider on an unloaded X.  I don't even think the tube shape comes into play in a serious way.  The loaded situation depends entirely on the load's aerodynamic profile.  I'm pretty sure I had a serious wake in the photo below, although I never got that far above 10mph.  :)

        http://twitpic.com/1lwdgw

      • Pete Beers
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8 12:56 PM
          I'd like to formally appologize for what I'm about to write.

          I strongly suggest not unloading while anyone is drafting you.

          Let me take this opportunity to again say how deeply sorry I am for what I just wrote.

          Rock on!

          Pete

          On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM, akatemik <akatemik@...> wrote:

          Well I had the unloaded situation in mind,
        • michael kestner
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8 1:22 PM
            Groan..... Im fwd this post to my step daughter with whom i compete for worst pun.

          • ama3655@aol.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9 7:26 AM
                Man I love where this has gone...we call hitting the masses with broken wind crop dusting, as for drafting my daughter's boyfriend was riding with me the other afternoon and got behind me and yelled hey I am drafting off you, and he was quite easily, he is 6'1" and out weighs me as did his bike.I was unloaded and cruzing at about 12 mph and he enjoyed every minute of his freeride.
                So Draft on.
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, ama3655@... wrote:

                > Pete -
                > As cyclists, we all know that the worst thing in the world is unbroken
                > wind. Draft on my friend.
                > FatRob
                >
                > I'd like to formally appologize for what I'm about to write.
                >
                > I strongly suggest not unloading while anyone is drafting you.
                >
                > Let me take this opportunity to again say how deeply sorry I am for what I
                > just wrote.
                >
                > Rock on!
                >
                > Pete

              • poppamando
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9 8:08 PM
                  Uh, please don't break wind for me while I'm drafting, okay? Thanks! ;-)

                  For all you farmers, this topic begs the question: When will Xtracycle offer a manure spreader attachment for the X?

                  :-P

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, ama3655@... wrote:

                  > Pete -
                  > As cyclists, we all know that the worst thing in the world is unbroken
                  > wind. Draft on my friend.
                  > FatRob
                  >
                  > I'd like to formally appologize for what I'm about to write.
                  >
                  > I strongly suggest not unloading while anyone is drafting you.
                  >
                  > Let me take this opportunity to again say how deeply sorry I am for what I
                  > just wrote.
                  >
                  > Rock on!
                  >
                  > Pete

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 10 4:58 AM
                    Recent activity in the forum indicates Xtracycle has already offered and
                    disseminated a manure spreader: RootsRadicals!

                    CL