Re:Veltop - Bike Roof

  • Larry Clarkberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2010
      Tim:

      I've searched the web for bike canopies and the Veltop is the only commercial product I've found. I made my own passenger canopy for xtracycles--my instructions are at:
      http://bikeforth.org/how-to-make-the-bike-wagon-canopy-for-xtracycles/

      People have also asked me about wind resistance. So far it hasn't been a problem. The Veltop people write (in broken English) the following in the FAQ on their website, which agrees with my experience. My experience is that the wind resistance of my canopy is only significant when I am going downhill at 30+ mph, in which case it is a welcome effect, not a problem.

      -Larry Clarkberg
      BikeForth.org

      -----
      WHAT ABOUT IF THERE IS WIND?
      Good question, but a sort of wrong problem.
      In case of front wind, the resistance is the same to that of a human body because of the presence of the windscreen which has an equivalent width and a convex shape as well as a variable gradient. At 20 km/h (12 miles/hour) there is no difference with a VELTOP. Up to 30 km/h (18 Miles/hour) the wind resistance remains inconsiderable. On urban rides such speed is rarely possible. Side winds meet no resistance when the side protections are rolled up, the hood itself has no negative influence on the rider’s stability. In case of rain or cold, a wind, which is blowing sideways, can be perceived by the rider if the side protections are pulled down but cannot be considered as dangerous.

      Nevertheless we recommend not to pull them down in strong wind or storm. In extreme bad weather conditions we recommend to ride without the hood.