Re: [rootsradicals] New Fisher Cargo Bike

  • Jeff Snavely
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 16, 2010
      Consider that perhaps they didn't set out to build a Yuba or a Madsen, but something different. Not every vehicle on the road is a dump truck.

      Not that I'm crazy about the design, but neither am I thrilled with xtracycle gear either. I would much rather see someone build a complete design rather than tie us to overpriced modular pieces.

      On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      Shorter wheelbase, higher load, it's going to feel more squirrelly than a Big Dummy (as in, I know what happens when there's too much load behind the rear axle, and most of the load on this bike is behind the rear axle).

      Poor choice of tires. 1.5" is a bare minimum.

      And, passengers?

      I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that they screwed up, in the standard US Bike company way. They had to piss on it to make it their own, and then they sell it with not-the-right gear, so that the first thing you do (other than be less satisfied than you could have been) is upgrade.

      They could have licensed the xtracycle longtail stuff, but did not. They could have bought out Madsen, but did not. Both of those designs make allowances for how a load affects handling. Not sure that Yuba Mundo would be compatible with Trek/Fisher, but that's another choice.

      I think I'm pissed. They built an inferior cargo bike, and now they are going to market the hell out of it. Assholes.

      David

      On 2010-06-16, at 11:33 AM, Diane wrote:

      > Interesting design. Can be sourced w/ electric assist. Apparently ready to accept panniers using the standard-spacing on the rear rack. Folding "wideloader-like" supports. Not the most passenger-friendly looking rear rack.
      >
      > http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/gary_fisher_collection/urban_utility/transport/

    • Rich
      Message 52 of 52 , Jun 21, 2010
        Just looking at the Yuba web site they now have a Mundo version with a front wheel hub electric motor available. Eight shown as in stock. I do not think that I have seen that option mentioned here.

        http://yubaride.com/yubashop/28-e-mundo.html

        Rich Wood