SS or FG Xtracycle?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2010
      Maybe a ridiculous question buy I wondered about it. I have a Sturmey Archer S3X FG 3 speed hub wheelset on the way and just wondered if anyone had tried a single speed or fixed gear Xtracycle. Different though ;-)

      Certainly not practical at all if there is any kind of hilly terrain that needs to be negotiated.

      Rich Wood
    • Pete Beers
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2010
        Most of my bikes are either fixed gear or single speed.  Single speed might work better than FG for an Xtracycle.  FG puts a lot of stress on the frame and it might put a bit of extra wear and tear on how the Freerad attaches to your bike frame.  Additionally you'd probably want to run a rear brake, which is very weird feeling if you're running fixie.

        Hills would be an issue for sure, but if you live somewhere flat, adjusting your expectations for acceleration would be the only real issue I can see.

        White Industries makes an eccentric axle fixie or SS hub.  I'm not sure if they make a fixie disc hub.  Might have to ask.

        If you had a big dummy frame instead of a freerad, I'd say that it would handle a fixie fairly well.  The extra rigidity in the back end would be helpful. We rode a fixie mountain bike tandem for a while.  That was an adventure, but a lot of fun.

        All pure speculation... but somewhat educated speculation.