Re: [rootsradicals] Solutions for FAP / Tongue / Plate squeak and bending plate?

  • henry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi Shane, The mechanic is spot on with the washers. Someone else here also commented to the affirmative on the fix.  I have two Xtracycle setups and both are shimmed with washers.  No problems.  H.

      On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Shane <shane@...> wrote:

      Hello, all. I've been digging through the messages here and haven't found the definitive answer: Has anyone solved the problem of occasional squeaks under load (or after a high-tension ride)? I haul my kids a lot on my Xtracycle, and I've found that often toward the end of a ride I'll get a squeaking or creaking sound with every pedal. It seems to be the FAP losing tension, which lets the Xtracycle move just enough to generate an irritating creak. Tightening the FAP bolt fixes it, but over time, the front-attachment plate is bending slightly, so it seems like this problem will just continue until the plate becomes so bent that I'll have to replace it.

      A bike mechanic suggested to me that I should fill the gap between the kickstand plate and the front-attachment plate with a stack of washers or something to provide some support to keep the plate from bending, but it seems to me like that would also prevent me from getting adequate tension to keep it fastened tightly.

      My rig is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker (steel frame) with a Free Radical.

      Any tips are appreciated!

      --Shane

    • spambait11_2008
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
        With all the creative energy and push for aesthetics and excellence that Xtracycle constantly exudes and promotes, it's a shame that they still haven't produced a decent FAP without the end user resorting to a stack of washers.

        It's like all the people with thousand dollar Easy Racers recumbents who still have to go out and buy hose clamps to keep their seats from sliding around on the top tube.