Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Is it possible to convert an Xtracycle into a microcar?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
      Motorized pedicab? We used to have them here in Taiwan. The last one I
      saw was about 30 years ago, though. They used tiny little two-cycle
      gasoline engines: putt putt putt.

      The thing I remember from riding a pedicab (also called rickshaw) in
      Bangladesh is that it can be quite warm in the passenger seat (large
      enough for two adults). This is because the driver broke the draft. In
      Panang, Malaysia, they had (probably still do) pedicabs where the
      passengers were in the front and the driver sat up high behind them.
      These pedicabs were cooler and easier to get seated in (lots less
      climbing). The driver, though, probably had less draft.

      The one time I tried driving a rickshaw, I almost ran off the road! I
      was so used to controlling a bike's direction by leaning, that I didn't
      use the handlebars to steer. Leaning doesn't work with three-wheeled
      vehicles.

      CL

      lclarkberg wrote:
      > So maybe what I have in mind is more like a motorized pedi-cab than a velomobile or microcar. All I know is that I want it to be based on the Xtracycle standard, to have a motor, and to have a canopy. Being Xtracycle-based will help it be inexpensive, street-legal, and easier to market.
    • Jenny
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2010
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "lclarkberg" <larry@...> wrote:

        > The vehicle I have in mind would be slow and (relatively) heavy and utilitarian. Maybe those factors would help prevent it from being blown over. I've also been wondering if there was a way to add some more wheels to an Xtracycle to make it more stable in wind and on ice and the Cargo Monster looks like a good approach. I will put it on my xmas wish list :-).

        It looks a bit stretched out and low down for my liking. Think of a shorter version, made to attach to a standard Xtracycle, with the rider sitting upright at about normal chair height just in front of the snapdeck, batteries and motor below the seat. It would be not much longer than a Dutch bike.