Solutions for FAP / Tongue / Plate squeak and bending plate?

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2010
      Hello, all. I've been digging through the messages here and haven't found the definitive answer: Has anyone solved the problem of occasional squeaks under load (or after a high-tension ride)? I haul my kids a lot on my Xtracycle, and I've found that often toward the end of a ride I'll get a squeaking or creaking sound with every pedal. It seems to be the FAP losing tension, which lets the Xtracycle move just enough to generate an irritating creak. Tightening the FAP bolt fixes it, but over time, the front-attachment plate is bending slightly, so it seems like this problem will just continue until the plate becomes so bent that I'll have to replace it.

      A bike mechanic suggested to me that I should fill the gap between the kickstand plate and the front-attachment plate with a stack of washers or something to provide some support to keep the plate from bending, but it seems to me like that would also prevent me from getting adequate tension to keep it fastened tightly.

      My rig is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker (steel frame) with a Free Radical.

      Any tips are appreciated!

      --Shane
    • Jeff Lesperance
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2010
        On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Shane <shane@...> wrote:

[...]

        Hey Shane, I didn't have this problem when I had my Freerad on my IronHorse mtn frame with the standard FAP, but, at one point in time I did have my Freerad installed on my Electra Straight-8 cruiser bike - this bike has 24" wheels with 3" tires (effective diameter close to that of a 26" mountain bike wheel) - to accommodate the width of the tires, the chainstays are pretty far apart from each other - wider than the FAP, so I had to fabricate my own.

        At the local hardware store I found some aluminum L-bar stock - I cut it to the proper length, drilled a hole in the horizontal surface for the bolt to pass through, drilled a larger hole on the vertical surface for the tounge to pass through to allow for front to back adjustment. I then dipped it in plasti-dip tool handle dip. I never had a problem with movement, loosening, or bending of that homebrew FAP. The plasti-dip served to reduce the chance of scratching the bike frame and provided good friction against the frame, so that I didn't have to think about over-torquing the bolt to keep everything in place.

        The tools that I used were a dremel and a drill with a couple of different bits - not a tough project and cost under $10 for the L-bar.

        If you need more details or pictures of the homemade FAP I can take some. I actually made two of them, one slightly less pretty than the other (involved more dremel, less drill use) - I could share the ugly one with you for a prototype or to cut down to use for yourself.

        -Jeff
        Silver Spring, MD
      • adrianquan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2010
          On my Marin Novato, I used to creak with every stroke, even unloaded when going uphill. The tongue of the Free radical was resting on the chainstay bridge, but I needed to use the FAP as it was too far back to line up with the tongue.

          Don't know if your creaking is caused by the same situation, but I solved this mine by zip-tying a flattened piece of intertube to the bridge, punching a hole for the bolt and laying the free radical tongue on top. It's been silent for miles afterwards with no apparent wear on the tube.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@...> wrote:

          > Hello, all. I've been digging through the messages here and haven't found the definitive answer: Has anyone solved the problem of occasional squeaks under load (or after a high-tension ride)? I haul my kids a lot on my Xtracycle, and I've found that often toward the end of a ride I'll get a squeaking or creaking sound with every pedal. It seems to be the FAP losing tension, which lets the Xtracycle move just enough to generate an irritating creak. Tightening the FAP bolt fixes it, but over time, the front-attachment plate is bending slightly, so it seems like this problem will just continue until the plate becomes so bent that I'll have to replace it.
          >
          > A bike mechanic suggested to me that I should fill the gap between the kickstand plate and the front-attachment plate with a stack of washers or something to provide some support to keep the plate from bending, but it seems to me like that would also prevent me from getting adequate tension to keep it fastened tightly.
          >
          > My rig is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker (steel frame) with a Free Radical.
          >
          > Any tips are appreciated!
          >
          > --Shane

        • Pete B
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2010
            Before swapping to a BD I had a similar setup to Adrian, with a long bolt through the FAP underneath the chainstay up to the fore of the Freerad tongue, which rested on top of the kickstand/chaninstay bridge.

            The squeak on mine was definitely between the FR tongue and the bridge which I fixed by intalling a doubled over thin nylon shim between the FR tongue and the round aluminium bridge.

            I was also going to put nylon washer under the FR bolt but the squeaking did not re-occur for 2 years, when the nylon shim eventually wore out.

            Pete.B

            'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw

            On 29 May 2010 05:23, adrianquan <aquan@...> wrote:

            On my Marin Novato, I used to creak with every stroke, even unloaded when going uphill. The tongue of the Free radical was resting on the chainstay bridge, but I needed to use the FAP as it was too far back to line up with the tongue.

            Don't know if your creaking is caused by the same situation, but I solved this mine by zip-tying a flattened piece of intertube to the bridge, punching a hole for the bolt and laying the free radical tongue on top. It's been silent for miles afterwards with no apparent wear on the tube.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@...> wrote:

            > Hello, all. I've been digging through the messages here and haven't found the definitive answer: Has anyone solved the problem of occasional squeaks under load (or after a high-tension ride)? I haul my kids a lot on my Xtracycle, and I've found that often toward the end of a ride I'll get a squeaking or creaking sound with every pedal. It seems to be the FAP losing tension, which lets the Xtracycle move just enough to generate an irritating creak. Tightening the FAP bolt fixes it, but over time, the front-attachment plate is bending slightly, so it seems like this problem will just continue until the plate becomes so bent that I'll have to replace it.
            >
            > A bike mechanic suggested to me that I should fill the gap between the kickstand plate and the front-attachment plate with a stack of washers or something to provide some support to keep the plate from bending, but it seems to me like that would also prevent me from getting adequate tension to keep it fastened tightly.
            >
            > My rig is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker (steel frame) with a Free Radical.
            >
            > Any tips are appreciated!
            >
            > --Shane

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2010
              Hi Shane,

              To fix my free-radical to my Surly instigator, I used two FAPs: one
              below and one above the chain stays. There is a chain-stay bridge, but
              it is recessed below the chain stays. This means, tightening the bolt
              will do like yours is doing: bend the FAP. So, I stacked some washer
              above the FAP. I started with a very large washer that pretty much
              fills the gap between the chain stays. Then I added one or two smaller
              ones. The bolt goes through everything. Once cinched tight, I've had
              minimal bending of the FAP and no squeaking. The only squeaking I get
              now is from my Brooks bike seat telling me it's time to oil the bolt in
              the nose of the saddle.

              CL
            • henry

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
                  With all the creative energy and push for aesthetics and excellence that Xtracycle constantly exudes and promotes, it's a shame that they still haven't produced a decent FAP without the end user resorting to a stack of washers.

                  It's like all the people with thousand dollar Easy Racers recumbents who still have to go out and buy hose clamps to keep their seats from sliding around on the top tube.