Re: [rootsradicals] spoke lights

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2006
      My friend Anna has these: http://www.volcanicwheel.com/index.php?page=bikehome
      No-battery spoke lights that pretty much rock. And I think they're pretty cheap, too.

      kipchoge

      On 25 Feb 2006 17:23:38 -0000, rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com < rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Hokey Spokes...
                 From: "Susan" <maps@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:38:20 -0000
         From: "Susan" <maps@... >
      Subject: Hokey Spokes...

         Just heard from my other friend who returned them because they kept
      going on of their own volition, and the Hokey SPokes Folks sort of
      just didn't believe them because they couldn't replicate it.  Seems
      that there are some unresolved electronic issues with the infrared=ness.
         I really like the side visibility, and mine have been flawless.
      There are probably simpler spoke-light options out there for those who
      aren't ready for Down Low Glow :-)

      ride to believe.

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Kipchoge Spencer

      Xtracycle
      Kipchoge and the Ginger Ninjas
      29085 Highway 49
      North San Juan CA 95960
      530/292-1401
      www.xtracycle.com
      www.gingerninjas.com
      www.pleasantrevolution.net
    • Anna Cummins
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
        i LOVE my volcanic. http://www.volcanicwheel.com/index.php?page=bikehome

        put it on my road bike, and never ceases to
        create a stir on early morning group rides - both for carnival like
        effect of the lights (pretty damn bright) and that someone would be
        so foolish as to add xtra weight to road bike.

        has anyone seen any no battery LED lights for front and back (blinkies etc.) made/distributed locally? i saw some cool ones on treehugger, but they were all made in europe.

        cheers,
        anna

        Anna Cummins, Founder
        Bring Your Own Campaign
        (310) 998-8616
        www.bringyourown.org

        "Because you look so good with a cup and bag...."
      • Nathan Klatt
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
          --- Anna Cummins <anna@...> wrote:
          > has anyone seen any no battery LED lights for front and back (blinkies
          > etc.) made/distributed locally? i saw some cool ones on treehugger, but
          > they were all made in europe.

          A little while ago Treehugger featured (1) Reelights (2). These are now
          being imported by a new bike shop in Minneapolis: Hiawatha Cyclery (3).
          Some locals have tried them out and they like them. The shop is really
          new - I don't think they're technically even "open" yet - but you can
          email Jim (4) and I'm sure he'd be happy to hook you up.

          (1) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/11/goodbye_batteri.php
          (2) http://www.reelight.com/en/
          (3) http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/
          (4) jim(a)hiawathacyclery.com

          Nathan

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • merlin@re-cycle.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
            Re: [rootsradicals] spoke lights
            I've just checked with them and they say they only work on a rear wheel, so I figure not so good with a FreeRad as looks like it would be covered by the Freeloader (pannier style side bags on FreeRads).

            Have you tried them?

            Cheers

            Merlin

            Subject: Re: Bikes
            From: volcanic <volcanic@...>
            To: Merlin Matthews ~  Re~Cycle <merlin@...>

            Dear Merlin,

            Thank you for your interest in Volcanic BikeLite.

            Unfortunately, it works only on a rear wheel of non-disc brake-type bike.

            Thanks,

            Customer Service
            DRI Products, Inc.

                       From: "Susan" <maps@...>

            Message: 1
               Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:38:20 -0000
               From: "Susan" <maps@... >

[...]

            Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Anna Cummins
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
              thats true, i have the volcanic on my road bike, not xtracycle. a mechanically inclined friend suggested possibly rigging it so that you use volcanic/motion power to hook up to xmas lights or some other light system that you could string around the snapdeck somehow.....way beyond my capacity, but i'm sure someone clever could figure it out.

                         From: "Susan" <maps@...>

              Message: 1

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
                I have x-mas lights on my xtracycle. Walmart sells battery powered light
                x-mas lights for a buck seventy-five around the holidays. A cheap, easy fix,
                and they are just fun!

                Happy Riding!
                Kristin

              • Susan
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
                  Welp, I just sent 'em a bit of a vent on their website (try figuring
                  out how much they cost).

                  I, too, have come up empty on batteriless lights. I'm mildly
                  surprised (and wracked with disappointment :-)) that it's taken so
                  long for a divergence of products given the advances in LED technology
                  and how little juice it takes to make them glow.

                  It also grieves me sorely that I can't find something Ipodish designed
                  for me to emanate the sounds of my choice from my handlebars. Doesn't
                  have to be loud or musical (though I'd prefer a keyboard), but since
                  beer cans don't rattle in my freeloaders the way they do in my Schwinn
                  baskets, I've had to settle for a bear bell on the top tube as I go
                  tinkling by.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, merlin@... wrote:

> [...]
                  > >There are probably simpler spoke-light options out there for those who
                  > >aren't ready for Down Low Glow :-)

                  > >You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle
                  > >roots radical.

                  > >to:
                  <mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com

                  > >ride to believe.

                  > >--
                  > >Kipchoge Spencer
                  > >
                  > >Xtracycle
                  > >Kipchoge and the Ginger Ninjas
                  > >29085 Highway 49
                  > >North San Juan CA 95960
                  > >530/292-1401
                  > ><http://www.xtracycle.com>www.xtracycle.com
                  > ><http://www.gingerninjas.com>www.gingerninjas.com
                  > ><http://www.pleasantrevolution.net> www.pleasantrevolution.net
                  > >
                  > >You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle

                • Susan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
                    I've got one - it's very big :-) I have to try to find its attachment
                    now that I could put it on the seat post and not have the bag on my
                    rack block it; in the mean time I toss it in the freeloader and it
                    blinks through the netting. ONe of my recumbent buddies has one. I
                    got it online googling around.

                    The directions on my version are worth the purchase, tho' right after
                    I got it the website stated they couldn't necessarily hold to their
                    guarantee (which includes replacing it if it gets trampled by
                    elephants and the like) since their source for some part or other had
                    stopped making them. If they're coming from a new source, I hope
                    they've managed to keep the guarantee :-)

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Klatt <n8klatt@...> wrote:

                    > --- Anna Cummins <anna@...> wrote:
                    > > has anyone seen any no battery LED lights for front and back (blinkies
                    > > etc.) made/distributed locally? i saw some cool ones on
                    treehugger, but
                    > > they were all made in europe.
                    >
                    > A little while ago Treehugger featured (1) Reelights (2). These are now
                    > being imported by a new bike shop in Minneapolis: Hiawatha Cyclery (3).
                    > Some locals have tried them out and they like them. The shop is really
                    > new - I don't think they're technically even "open" yet - but you can
                    > email Jim (4) and I'm sure he'd be happy to hook you up.
                    >
                    > (1) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/11/goodbye_batteri.php
                    > (2) http://www.reelight.com/en/
                    > (3) http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/
                    > (4) jim(a)hiawathacyclery.com
                    >
                    > Nathan

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Ben Rosenthal
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
                      I bought a Bicycle Stereo <http://www.bicyclestereo.com/> a couple years ago, so I could play my iPod while on the New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride, where the organizers don't want me wearing earphones. The more advanced XC-ready audio systems look so cool, though, so one of these days I'll probably invest. I couldn't find an Ultra Clip-compatible handlebar mount, though, so I had to settle for wiring from belted iPod down around seat post down to Bicycle Stereo amplifier.

                      However, the creators of iBikeMount <http://www.ibikemount.com/>, an iPod nano handlebar mounting system, are working on an upcoming Universal model to work with all iPods (and presumably other portable music devices). I'm looking forward to being able to get off my bike without having to also unhook a speaker cable from the iPod.

                      - Ben

                    • merlin@re-cycle.org
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
                        Hi

                        I use my Snowboard helmet, which has built in headphones for an extra $15odd
                        The headphones are flat and sit outside your ears, so sound can get
                        in from outside, for safety
                        I figure a lot of people like music and more would cycle if they
                        could listen to their music while they do.

                        The helmets are v sturdy, much more so than a bike helmet, which are
                        not that strong.

                        http://www.pro-tec.net/B2Wht.html# - see two icons at bottom of page
                        for SXP + Audio Force
                        http://snowboards-for-sale.com/snowboard_helmets/b2/

                        Cheers

                        Merlin
                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                          Mine is pictured at
                          http://www.dtovey.net/~dwight/Cycling_Stuff/TailLight_Comparison/

                          (I was wonderign why it would get into Treehugger, since it's not
                          dynamo-driven, just plain ol' batteries...)

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007

                            Justina,

                                        Congrats on your Xtracycle purchase! You will surely love it.

                                        Also congratulations on moving to Seattle from Jersey. I mainly say that because of what you said regarding biking in NYC and only getting hit by a car after moving to New Jersey. I realize drivers on non-urban roadways are not expecting cyclists as you mentioned, but let’s face it… you were in Jersey. J No offense to any Jersey folks on the list. I am sure any Xtracycle riders would be excellent and courteous drivers, but statistically Jersey has the highest accident and insurance rates. Oddly enough on average New Jersey has the lowest nationwide gas prices. Go figure. J

                            Jesse,

                                        What you mention about few Xtracycles in DC is similar to how it is in NYC. To me having an Xtracycle in NYC makes complete sense and from personal experience it WAS/IS incredibly practical. However after riding an Xtracycle for over three years there, I estimate there are a dozen or less Xtracycles in the city. I was probably one of the first three Xtracycle riders in NYC, and was approached directly by Xtracycle to spread the word to messengers. Surprisingly enough no other messengers ever went the Xtracycle way. There are a few messenger companies using cargo-bike variants, but I only know of one other messenger, who has one, and he only got it after I moved.

                                        I can say I definitely noticed an increase in NYC Xtracycles since I got mine. I certainly tried to pump it up there. I suppose going from three Xtracycles when I got mine three years ago to a dozen is not too bad. That is more than triple. It is not like I buy a bike every year, so I suppose as cyclists start to wear out their old bikes and make the leap to a cargo bike they might go the way of the Xtracycle.