Re: riding shoeless

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 45 , May 26, 2010
      I do not go as far as you but do ride in SPD sandals much of the year. I have both the current Shimano two strap and 661 SPD sandals. The 661s are the most open SPD sandals I have found. They also have the SPD cleats recessed enough so no noise from them when walking.

      I would think that any relatively smooth double sided pedal such as the classic rubber block pedals that used to be almost universal on cruiser bikes would work for barefoot riding.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj <jj@...> wrote:

      > I haven't worn shoes but 10 or 12 days in the last year and I ride
      > almost every day. I have yet to injure myself--other than stubbing my
      > toe ON A SHOE that was left in the middle of the living room.
      >
      > Oh, and I stepped on a stick once, but my feet were tough enough to
      > repel that invader.
      >
      > If you are interested in riding barefoot, I recommend getting "barefoot
      > pedals": they are flat, have some grip tape one them, and are cheap.
      > Toss a pair of flip-flops in the panniers for those grocery trips when
      > you are out, and don't be afraid to smile at folks. Remember that your
      > foot falls differently when barefoot, so take it in small doses. I can
      > honestly tell you that I can bike for hours without my feet getting
      > tired now, and my flat feet are gone.
      >
      > Its perfectly safe, in almost every day to day circumstance. I would
      > avoid welding, or doing construction while barefoot, but just riding
      > around? Fantastic!
      >
      > But the coolest part of not wearing shoes are spring rains. The puddles
      > tend to be *warm*, which is amazing, and a very pleasant surprise.
      >
      > JJ
      >
      > WV Tenor wrote:
      > >
      > > Riding shoeless could be painful if you had to put your foot down
      > > quickly. You could seriously injure yourself.
      > >
      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>, jj <jj@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ponchos, with wool for warm kidlets.
      > > >
      > > > Ponchos with wool for you.
      > > >
      > > > Raincoats are and rainpants work well for you.
      > > >
      > > > For warmer weather, I prefer shoeless riding--no way for footwear to get
      > > > wet :-)
      > > >
      > > > JJ

      > > days
      > > relatively
      > > (slippery).

    • Rich
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 1, 2010
        There is also Weigle(?) Frame Saver which is a waxy coating designed for coating the inside of steel frame tubes to prevent rust. A very similar product available at many hardware stores, and less expensive, is LPS3.

        Rich Wood