Rohloff and Stokemonkey

  • kitesfun2000
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2010
      Hi folks
      After thinking about a more reliable drive train for my Stoked-Xtra for some time, I came across a secondhand wheel with disc-ed hub on Trademe (NZ version of Ebay) and won the auction. I've now got it back from a service with the NZ agent, and am about to have it installed.

      The bike mechanic warned me that I should take it easy with the power and weight as the Rohloff hub is apparently not recommended for tandems as the combined weight and power of 2 people can be a bit much.

      Has anybody in this group had any problems with the Rohloff-Stokemonkey combination?

      I use the bike 4-6 days a week, and often loaded with gardening gear, cranking up some steep hills...

      Regards
      Ted

      Nelson, NZ
    • Jacobs Jerome and Lois
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2010
        I have had no problems, whatsoever, running my stoked Big Dummy with a Rohloff for more than a year while carrying 100-150lb. loads up and down the hills of San Francisco.

        Best,

        Jerry
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2010
          When I bought my Rohloff hubbed bike the manual stated that tandem use is approved so unless they have changed their recommendations you should be OK. Per some posts on the Thorn Cycles web site there have been a few instances of spoke flange failures in tandem use with two heavyweights on the tandem. Keep an eye out for this and make sure the rear wheel spokes are neither overtensioned nor have uneven tensions.

          Rich Wood

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kitesfun2000" <kitesfun@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks
          > After thinking about a more reliable drive train for my Stoked-Xtra for some time, I came across a secondhand wheel with disc-ed hub on Trademe (NZ version of Ebay) and won the auction. I've now got it back from a service with the NZ agent, and am about to have it installed.
          >
          > The bike mechanic warned me that I should take it easy with the power and weight as the Rohloff hub is apparently not recommended for tandems as the combined weight and power of 2 people can be a bit much.
          >
          > Has anybody in this group had any problems with the Rohloff-Stokemonkey combination?
          >
          > I use the bike 4-6 days a week, and often loaded with gardening gear, cranking up some steep hills...
          >
          > Regards
          > Ted
          >
          > Nelson, NZ

        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2010
            That's what I have, and have had no problems with it.