Re: [rootsradicals] Shift cable length

  • Pete Beers
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5 7:47 AM
      I found that I needed tandem cables for the shifter.  They exist and are readily available.  I had a brake cable that was longer than the usual brake cable, but shorter than a tandem cable that worked perfectly

      On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Bob Matter <rjmatter@...> wrote:

      Are ordinary-length MTB rear derailleur shift cables ( e.g.
      http://tinyurl.com/26ro885 ) long enough for an Xtracycle, or do I
      need to seek out extra-long cables (like for a tandem) if such things
      exist?

      Thanks,

      -Bob M.

      __._,_

      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 8:03 AM
        Bob,
        I believe you do need to have tandem-length rear shifter and brake cables
        on a long-tail bike. I am not sure if recumbent bikes have longer cables,
        which could also be used, but maybe they simply use the same
        tandem-length cables. Someone in the RootsRadical list with recumbent
        experience can clarify that for you. Either way, longer cables are
        necessary as far as I know.
        Not all bike shops will keep tandem cables in stock though. That is why I
        generally order tandem-length cables from on-line dealers when they are
        having sales. Obviously, no one should be wearing out such cables that
        quickly, so I just make sure to almost always have one extra
        tandem-length cable in my own stock of extra bike gear/parts. That way
        if/when I do go into my local bike shop they should have everything they
        need to do the repair/maintenance without having to wait on any special
        orders from QBP or whatever supplier they use.
        Another trick I use to reduce the issue of longer cables is I ride a
        single-speed on my rear wheel. I still have multiple chain-rings up-front
        with standard-bike-length shifter/cables to allow some gearing range. To
        keep chain tension though I have a bare-bones rear derailleur, but I do
        not need the cabling and related mechanisms. Other than reducing my need
        for tandem-length cables to just rear-brakes, it also keeps maintenance
        issues down a bit more. A lot less seems to go wrong with forward
        shifting because of the size-jumps and spacing compared to several
        smaller gears on a rear hub.
        Clearly, a wider gearing range on a cargo bike is more ideal for most
        people. In fact I sometimes debate whether I should go back, especially
        as I get older. However, I personally prefer a low maintenance bike, so I
        will keep riding with a single-speed the rear for a while longer. Perhaps
        instead of just two chain-rings upfront I will add a third for more
        range. :)

        Ride safe,

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5 8:13 AM
[...]

            _TONE_
          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5 8:31 AM
              On 5/5/10, Bob Matter <rjmatter@...> wrote:
              > Are ordinary-length MTB rear derailleur shift cables ( e.g.
              > http://tinyurl.com/26ro885 ) long enough for an Xtracycle, or do I
              > need to seek out extra-long cables (like for a tandem) if such things
              > exist?

              I didn't need a special cable for the rear derailleur on my Big Dummy.
              As I recall, I didn't need to cut the housing or the cable, putting it
              right at the end of it's reach. Here's a link to the set I ordered.
              They're a little pricey, but they have 2400 hard-earned miles on them
              a show no signs of fatigue.

              http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_151955_-1_201675_10000_200372

              I'd use a string and measure to be sure you have enough length to
              properly route the cable on your frame.
            • Marc
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2010
                Hi,
                just after mounting my rear shifter cable, it broke because of something wrong with my crank .
                So, I don't the necessary length (and can't retrieve it form the lost cable) for a standard 26" frame and a Freeradical.
                Does anyone got this information ?
                Thanks
                Marc