Re: [rootsradicals] bikesdirect.com

  • Andrew Kreps
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2010
      On 5/5/10, coach4many <coach4many@...> wrote:
      > Anyone ever order from bikesdirect.com.

      I haven't, but I have a friend who has. He's a racer, and he found a
      21lb hardtail mtn bike on there that he couldn't pass up. He's ridden
      it for the past year with no complaints.
    • Carl Mears
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2010
        Hi

        I ordered a road bike in the $700 range from them maybe 7 or 8 years ago.   I
        was happy except for the wheels, which arrived with very low spoke tension and
        immediately self-destructed.  Probably could have been avoided by retensioning
        before serious riding.   - I got a better wheel set and have used this bike ever since.

        -Carl

        On May 5, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

        On 5/5/10, coach4many <coach4many@yahoo. com> wrote:
        > Anyone ever order from bikesdirect. com.

        I haven't, but I have a friend who has. He's a racer, and he found a
        21lb hardtail mtn bike on there that he couldn't pass up. He's ridden
        it for the past year with no complaints.

      • nate.byerley
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2010
          Hey,

          I was just putting up a post on our knowledge base in GetSatisfaction about the importance or properly tensioned wheels.

          http://getsatisfaction.com/xtracycle/topics/the_wheel_deal_do_i_need_new_wheels

          Please comment on my post if you have any thoughts/experience that corroborates or disproves my theories!

          -Nate, Xtracycle Inc.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Carl Mears <mears@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I ordered a road bike in the $700 range from them maybe 7 or 8 years
          > ago. I
          > was happy except for the wheels, which arrived with very low spoke
          > tension and
          > immediately self-destructed. Probably could have been avoided by
          > retensioning
          > before serious riding. - I got a better wheel set and have used this
          > bike ever since.
          >
          > -Carl
          >
          > On May 5, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:
          >
          > > On 5/5/10, coach4many <coach4many@...> wrote:
          > > > Anyone ever order from bikesdirect.com.
          > >
          > > I haven't, but I have a friend who has. He's a racer, and he found a
          > > 21lb hardtail mtn bike on there that he couldn't pass up. He's ridden
          > > it for the past year with no complaints.

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2010
            Take a look at the frame geometry and wheelbase on the BD fixie. Steep angles and a short wheelbase on it. A steel frame with true track geometry. Fine if that is what you want but I would not consider it the best geometry for general street riding. I want something with more relaxed geometry though tempted to get the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub FG version using the new SA S3X hub.

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "coach4many" <coach4many@...> wrote:

            > Anyone ever order from bikesdirect.com. Looking at a fixie, wanted one for a long time and thought it would make a good summer bike, but are they too good to be true?
            > Anyone with any info let me know.
            > Thanks
            > Beth the broken

          • Beth Aiton
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2010
              Thanks everyone, have wanted a fixie bad forever and they have a Motobacane in Orange even for good price and no shipping or taxes. Saved enough. So might go ahead. Anyone have any news on the new free rad setup? Was thinking of making the fixie my summer bike with the new set up and keeping my Trek as my winter bike.

              Beth Aiton
              STMS
              Athletic Director
            • John Wilde
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                Thanks everyone, have wanted a fixie bad forever and they have a Motobacane in Orange even for good price and no shipping or taxes. Saved enough. So might go ahead. Anyone have any news on the new free rad setup? Was thinking of making the fixie my summer bike with the new set up and keeping my Trek as my winter bike.

                Beth Aiton
                STMS

                New Free Rad setup???
                What have you heard?
              • Sean Moore
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                  Most are happy with their BDirect purchase, understand it is unassembled and like another commenter pointed out, the wheels are of a low build quality.  I've read enough about them that I'm going to get a Phantom Cross UNO (wide tires fit!) when I get the extra moniez.

                  --
                  Sean Moore
                  moore.sean@...