Shift cable length

  • Bob Matter
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2010
      Are ordinary-length MTB rear derailleur shift cables ( e.g.
      http://tinyurl.com/26ro885 ) long enough for an Xtracycle, or do I
      need to seek out extra-long cables (like for a tandem) if such things
      exist?

      Thanks,

      -Bob M.
    • Pete Beers

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2010
          Bob,
          I believe you do need to have tandem-length rear shifter and brake cables
          on a long-tail bike. I am not sure if recumbent bikes have longer cables,
          which could also be used, but maybe they simply use the same
          tandem-length cables. Someone in the RootsRadical list with recumbent
          experience can clarify that for you. Either way, longer cables are
          necessary as far as I know.
          Not all bike shops will keep tandem cables in stock though. That is why I
          generally order tandem-length cables from on-line dealers when they are
          having sales. Obviously, no one should be wearing out such cables that
          quickly, so I just make sure to almost always have one extra
          tandem-length cable in my own stock of extra bike gear/parts. That way
          if/when I do go into my local bike shop they should have everything they
          need to do the repair/maintenance without having to wait on any special
          orders from QBP or whatever supplier they use.
          Another trick I use to reduce the issue of longer cables is I ride a
          single-speed on my rear wheel. I still have multiple chain-rings up-front
          with standard-bike-length shifter/cables to allow some gearing range. To
          keep chain tension though I have a bare-bones rear derailleur, but I do
          not need the cabling and related mechanisms. Other than reducing my need
          for tandem-length cables to just rear-brakes, it also keeps maintenance
          issues down a bit more. A lot less seems to go wrong with forward
          shifting because of the size-jumps and spacing compared to several
          smaller gears on a rear hub.
          Clearly, a wider gearing range on a cargo bike is more ideal for most
          people. In fact I sometimes debate whether I should go back, especially
          as I get older. However, I personally prefer a low maintenance bike, so I
          will keep riding with a single-speed the rear for a while longer. Perhaps
          instead of just two chain-rings upfront I will add a third for more
          range. :)

          Ride safe,

            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2010
[...]

              _TONE_
            • Andrew Kreps
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2010
                On 5/5/10, Bob Matter <rjmatter@...> wrote:
                > Are ordinary-length MTB rear derailleur shift cables ( e.g.
                > http://tinyurl.com/26ro885 ) long enough for an Xtracycle, or do I
                > need to seek out extra-long cables (like for a tandem) if such things
                > exist?

                I didn't need a special cable for the rear derailleur on my Big Dummy.
                As I recall, I didn't need to cut the housing or the cable, putting it
                right at the end of it's reach. Here's a link to the set I ordered.
                They're a little pricey, but they have 2400 hard-earned miles on them
                a show no signs of fatigue.

                http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_151955_-1_201675_10000_200372

                I'd use a string and measure to be sure you have enough length to
                properly route the cable on your frame.
              • Marc
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13, 2010
                  Hi,
                  just after mounting my rear shifter cable, it broke because of something wrong with my crank .
                  So, I don't the necessary length (and can't retrieve it form the lost cable) for a standard 26" frame and a Freeradical.
                  Does anyone got this information ?
                  Thanks
                  Marc