Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Building up fitness to use an Xtracycle for passenger...

  • ama3655@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2010
      Dang Rich, you're making me feel old and esoteric this morning.
      FatRob

      In a message dated 4/29/2010 9:25:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time, astronut1001@... writes:
       IMO it is still the best writing on bike gearing I know of and includes gearing layouts most current day riders have never heard of such as half step and half step plus granny.

      Rich Wood

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2010
        Rob;

        Sorry about that ;-)

        Most of the special older derailleur gearing arrangements were designed to maximize the number of useful gears on bikes with 5 speed freewheels in the days before indexed shifting and shifting aids built into freewheels and chainrings.

        By the time bikes reached 7 and 8 speeds at the rear the reason for these gearing arrangements had disappeared as there are enough speeds on modern drivetrains that duplication of gears does not matter much. Now they are mainly of historic interest or useful if doing an authentic period restoration.

        Modern derailleur drivetrains would almost all be classified as crossover (two ring) or crossover + granny (triple rings) arrangements.

        Rich Wood