Re: [rootsradicals] OK, a question about my current xtracycle setup, re: tongue position and FAPs

  • Jeff Lesperance
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2010
      On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:20 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      > BTW, one of your FAPs you sent me was pretty damn bent, I "fixed" it.

      Wow, would you believe I had not noticed? I just cranked it down pretty tight, keeping an eye on the gaskety stuff on the frame tubes to get a feel for how tight I was squeezing them.

      > It sort of worries me, I'm wondering if fabbing them out of hi-ten or
      > chromo wouldn't be better.

      Seems like angle iron or a U channel, with a hole drilled it, would be more than adequate.

      David

      I had to fabricate a FAP when I added a freerad to my Electra Straight-8 cruiser - the chainstays are far enough apart to allow a 24x3 tire. I used angle iron with a hole cut out to allow the front edge of the tongue to slide forward and back for adjustment, and another hole to pass the bolt through. I dipped the ends of the angle iron in plasti-dip to finish the job - worked just as well as a stock FAP.

      -Jeff