Thinking ahead to 3 kids

  • elise_giddings
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
      Hey all-

      The recent posts about carrying 2 kids got me thinking ahead a bit. I've got a 6-yr old and twin 2-yr olds. Currently I've got a Madsen and am riding them around in that which is the only good solution I could find for everyone. Although the bike has its advantages, I'd love to get back to something that rides a little nicer, like a Big Dummy or maybe a Yuba.

      Has anyone tried 3 kids on the back sans child seats? I know this wouldn't work well when they are in the seats still, but I'm thinking about when they can all sit on the deck. I feel like this would be a no-brainer if we lived in another country, but that in the US, people might frown upon a gaggle of kids free loading on the back. (of course, there is a woman who rides by the shop every morning with her ~6r old child standing on the dropped top tube of her bike and holding onto the handlebar while she pedals, so maybe our standards here are a little bit relaxed...).

      My oldest can ride her own bike a good ways now, but we have one section of busy road about a mile long that has zero room for error, so she won't be able to do that for awhile still (unfortunately). So, likely we'll have a few years where everyone will still need a ride from Mom.

      Interestingly, one of the twins (2.5 yr old) will hold onto the stoker bar of my partner's Big Dummy and stay on the bike well, especially if big sister is behind her. The other one though has little focus for that kind of thing and would probably just try to climb off the bike or some other funny business if not secured.

      I'm sure there's someone out there who's thought about this problem before - that's why I love this group!

      -Elise
      ------------------
      Cycle 9
      http://www.cycle9.com
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
        Hey Elise,

        Hope the shop is doing well!

        I've never personally pedaled with three young kids, but have done three adults on the big dummy and it was, um, intense? But I have seen photos of 3-up on the back of Xtracycles, the kids fit, but handholds are limited and always seemed a bit crammed and precarious.

        Oh, and thought you'd all appreciate this: http://bit.ly/9oXJjB

        Rick

        Meet the all new Radish for 2010! http://bit.ly/radish2010

        "The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine."  – John Howard

        graphic wrangler | rick@...
        888.537-1401 x709 | fully engage

        On Apr 22, 2010, at 8:40 AM, elise_giddings wrote:

[...]

        ------------ ------
        Cycle 9
        http://www.cycle9. com

      • Jennifer Logan
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
          We've done a 2 yr old in the BoBike Maxi and two 5 yr olds on the deck of both my Ute and my friend's X.  It's a little tight, but no one was complaining!  Haven't tried three without any seats yet.

          ~Jennifer

          On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM, elise_giddings <elists@...> wrote:

          Hey all-

          The recent posts about carrying 2 kids got me thinking ahead a bit. I've got a 6-yr old and twin 2-yr olds. Currently I've got a Madsen and am riding them around in that which is the only good solution I could find for everyone. Although the bike has its advantages, I'd love to get back to something that rides a little nicer, like a Big Dummy or maybe a Yuba.

          Has anyone tried 3 kids on the back sans child seats?

        • Sean Moore
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
            No experience here but check out the Japanese top-tube seats for the youngest.  Hopefully the oldest is ready to pedal when the youngest outgrows the top-tube seat.
            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...

            On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM, elise_giddings <elists@...> wrote:

[...]

          • MikeM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 23, 2010
              Hey Elise,
              I have a 6, 3 and 1 year old on a Big Dummy. 1 year old's helmet is a wee-big, we took her for a short test ride this evening. Here is a photo with the seating arrangement.
              I travel for work to Durham alot, I need to stop by your shop and check out a stoke monkey.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/73643303@N00/4492584869/

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "elise_giddings" <elists@...> wrote:

              > Hey all-
              >
              > The recent posts about carrying 2 kids got me thinking ahead a bit. I've got a 6-yr old and twin 2-yr olds. Currently I've got a Madsen and am riding them around in that which is the only good solution I could find for everyone. Although the bike has its advantages, I'd love to get back to something that rides a little nicer, like a Big Dummy or maybe a Yuba.
              >
              > Has anyone tried 3 kids on the back sans child seats? I know this wouldn't work well when they are in the seats still, but I'm thinking about when they can all sit on the deck. I feel like this would be a no-brainer if we lived in another country, but that in the US, people might frown upon a gaggle of kids free loading on the back. (of course, there is a woman who rides by the shop every morning with her ~6r old child standing on the dropped top tube of her bike and holding onto the handlebar while she pedals, so maybe our standards here are a little bit relaxed...).
              >
              > My oldest can ride her own bike a good ways now, but we have one section of busy road about a mile long that has zero room for error, so she won't be able to do that for awhile still (unfortunately). So, likely we'll have a few years where everyone will still need a ride from Mom.
              >
              > Interestingly, one of the twins (2.5 yr old) will hold onto the stoker bar of my partner's Big Dummy and stay on the bike well, especially if big sister is behind her. The other one though has little focus for that kind of thing and would probably just try to climb off the bike or some other funny business if not secured.
              >
              > I'm sure there's someone out there who's thought about this problem before - that's why I love this group!
              >
              > -Elise
              > ------------------
              > Cycle 9
              > http://www.cycle9.com

            • Elise Giddings
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
                Mike (and all)-
                Thanks for your post. Did you make a custom snap deck that is integrated with the seats? It sounds like this is sort of a new arrangement for you (?) but how do the kids handle riding on there - do they find it squished or all right? My 2 smaller ones are twins and the smallest is already 25lbs, so I think the handlebar type bobike would be a relatively short lived solution. I can just see us now with 3 kids on the back and towing the oldest child's bike for when we get past the most dangerous section of road (she was begging me to let her ride her new bike to school the other day - I told her she has to learn how to use the brakes first...). People will think we're even crazier than they already do.

                Another score for car-free / car-lite lifestyle!

                -Elise
                --------------

                Re: Thinking ahead to 3 kids

                Posted by: "MikeM" mikemonce@...   mmonce129

                Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm (PDT)

                Hey Elise,
                I have a 6, 3 and 1 year old on a Big Dummy. 1 year old's helmet is a wee-big, we took her for a short test ride this evening. Here is a photo with the seating arrangement.
                I travel for work to Durham alot, I need to stop by your shop and check out a stoke monkey.

                http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73643303@ N00/4492584869/
              • Travers, Neil
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
                  Message
                  > I told her she has to learn how to use the brakes first...

                  I have seen a 5 year old who refused to use his brakes and instead just put his feet down or leapt off the bike whenever he needed to stop. Once away from traffic (country roads) he didn't seem at all frightened of building up speed. He managed a 10 mile ride and though he had a few tumbles from high speed dismounts, he was always saying "didn't hurt" and insisting on that approach rather than brakes.  I As far as I could gather it was due to fear of doing a nose plant, despite his brakes having been adjusted to being almost useless to prevent that possibility and reduce the fear.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2010
                    I'm just getting around to reading this, but wanted to chime in:

                    I regularly pull my 5 yr old twins in the trailer with the xtracycle reserved for the wife, when the timing is right. I know the trailer option isn't what you were asking about, Elise, but I find it handles very well and doesn't end up being crowded in the slightest bit. Three kids on the deck doesn't strike me as all that comfortable for them at all, especially if they're big like you say.

                    In a similar vein, does anyone have a solution for mounting a trail-a-bike with the freeradical? As my kids get too tall for the trailer, and they want to ride, I'm loath to give up my cargo bike!

                    Off to enjoy the wonderful Boston weather today!

                    Geoff

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "elise_giddings" <elists@...> wrote:

                    > Hey all-
                    >
                    > The recent posts about carrying 2 kids got me thinking ahead a bit. I've got a 6-yr old and twin 2-yr olds. Currently I've got a Madsen and am riding them around in that which is the only good solution I could find for everyone. Although the bike has its advantages, I'd love to get back to something that rides a little nicer, like a Big Dummy or maybe a Yuba.
                    >
                    > Has anyone tried 3 kids on the back sans child seats? I know this wouldn't work well when they are in the seats still, but I'm thinking about when they can all sit on the deck. I feel like this would be a no-brainer if we lived in another country, but that in the US, people might frown upon a gaggle of kids free loading on the back. (of course, there is a woman who rides by the shop every morning with her ~6r old child standing on the dropped top tube of her bike and holding onto the handlebar while she pedals, so maybe our standards here are a little bit relaxed...).
                    >
                    > My oldest can ride her own bike a good ways now, but we have one section of busy road about a mile long that has zero room for error, so she won't be able to do that for awhile still (unfortunately). So, likely we'll have a few years where everyone will still need a ride from Mom.
                    >
                    > Interestingly, one of the twins (2.5 yr old) will hold onto the stoker bar of my partner's Big Dummy and stay on the bike well, especially if big sister is behind her. The other one though has little focus for that kind of thing and would probably just try to climb off the bike or some other funny business if not secured.
                    >
                    > I'm sure there's someone out there who's thought about this problem before - that's why I love this group!
                    >
                    > -Elise
                    > Cycle 9
                    > http://www.cycle9.com

                  • Debi
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 11, 2010
                      Check out Xtracycle's Facebook page and look in the notes section for a great example of adding a tag a long to an X.

                      Cheers!