Re: Introduction

  • Todd Fahrner
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 21, 2007
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Cooley" <pcooley@...> wrote:
      > Recently, I've been using a Princeton Tec Eos, (I
      > think that's the right name), light on my helmet. That works well for
      > well-lit areas, but moving fast through the dark neighborhoods leaves
      > me feeling disoriented, and I have trouble telling where the edge of
      > the roadway is.

      That's a drawback of helmet-mount lights. Because the light source is so close to your eyes,
      it produces no shadows, so you get a very flat view of the path. A low-mount light gives a
      much more 3-D view as shadows outline all the little irregularities.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 24, 2007

        Cathode Ray,

                    You brought up your use of the “Reelight” battery-free bike light a few days ago. It intrigued me enough to check their web site.

                    I worked as a bike messenger in New York City for several years and I wish I had a set of battery-free blinker lights. As a rule of thumb I always try to invest in low-maintenance equipment since I was out on the road consistently for all kinds of conditions and weather while possessing only one bicycle as my primary means of income. In NYC most streets are lit up well enough for drivers to see, but of course there are other numerous darker streets and not absolutely needing signal lights does not change a cop’s mind about giving you a ticket.

                    I seemed to get around having to always use signal lights though. Usually I made it home after work before or around sunset, and did have lights if I toured outside of the city, etc. I did buy one of those crank-flashlight/radios with a blink setting, so I would not have to worry about dead batteries while on the road. Unfortunately it seems the crank-light is not functioning as advertised… 40 minutes of blinking from 1-2 minutes of cranking is definitely NOT happening. J

                    Recently I moved to York, Pennsylvania and I suspect I am the only Xtracycle in town. Hopefully I will have a positive and contagious effect on the community here. Anyway, I have noticed drivers are not as expecting of cyclists as they would be in NYC, which is of course understandable. This makes me much keener about using signal lights, so I do appreciate your post with the Reelight link!

                    Unfortunately there is one catch. While I love the idea of the Reelight, I believe my ongoing quest to incorporate low-maintenance equipment on my bike may prevent me in setting up my bike with a Reelight. My Xtracycle is hooked up with disc-brake compatible Aerospoke brand 5-spoke poly-carbon fiber wheels. I got these to avoid having to true my wheels, and make it much easier to run a chain/lock through my wheels, which I did very often as a courier. From some of the wording on the Reelight.com site my guess is the Reelight may not be compatible with my Aerospokes. I have already e-mailed then a question on the subject, but I have no idea how fast they will respond or if they will completely fulfill my inquiry. What is your personal take on my potential compatibility issue? In my own opinion it is also better to get an un-biased end-user’s response in regards to a product. Any thought would be appreciated.

                    Thanks and best wishes,

        _TONE_

      • Murray Neill
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 24, 2007
          I to was fascinated by the Reelight. What a great idea! This time of
          year (in the southern hemisphere) I am riding to work in the dark and
          and riding home in the dark (an hour each way) so I'm always replacing
          those batteries.
          I would have ordered a set of reelights but it looks to me like you
          don't have any choice as to where on the bike you mount them. The rear
          light, in its standard mounting position would be obscured by the
          freeloader. If I could mount it off the back of the snapdeck, or on
          the seatpost, or on the back of the freerad frame I'd get one, but it
          appears they must be mounted down by the wheel hubs. Down there, on an
          Xtra, you won't be able to see the red light.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

          > Cathode Ray,
          > You brought up your use of the "Reelight" battery-free bike
          > light a few days ago. It intrigued me enough to check their web site.
          > I worked as a bike messenger in New York City for several
          > years and I wish I had a set of battery-free blinker lights. As a rule
          > of thumb I always try to invest in low-maintenance equipment since I was
          > out on the road consistently for all kinds of conditions and weather
          > while possessing only one bicycle as my primary means of income. In NYC
          > most streets are lit up well enough for drivers to see, but of course
          > there are other numerous darker streets and not absolutely needing
          > signal lights does not change a cop's mind about giving you a ticket.
          > I seemed to get around having to always use signal lights
          > though. Usually I made it home after work before or around sunset, and
          > did have lights if I toured outside of the city, etc. I did buy one of
          > those crank-flashlight/radios with a blink setting, so I would not have
          > to worry about dead batteries while on the road. Unfortunately it seems
          > the crank-light is not functioning as advertised. 40 minutes of blinking
          > from 1-2 minutes of cranking is definitely NOT happening. :-)
          > Recently I moved to York, Pennsylvania and I suspect I am
          > the only Xtracycle in town. Hopefully I will have a positive and
          > contagious effect on the community here. Anyway, I have noticed drivers
          > are not as expecting of cyclists as they would be in NYC, which is of
          > course understandable. This makes me much keener about using signal
          > lights, so I do appreciate your post with the Reelight link!
          > Unfortunately there is one catch. While I love the idea of
          > the Reelight, I believe my ongoing quest to incorporate low-maintenance
          > equipment on my bike may prevent me in setting up my bike with a
          > Reelight. My Xtracycle is hooked up with disc-brake compatible Aerospoke
          > brand 5-spoke poly-carbon fiber wheels. I got these to avoid having to
          > true my wheels, and make it much easier to run a chain/lock through my
          > wheels, which I did very often as a courier. From some of the wording on
          > the Reelight.com site my guess is the Reelight may not be compatible
          > with my Aerospokes. I have already e-mailed then a question on the
          > subject, but I have no idea how fast they will respond or if they will
          > completely fulfill my inquiry. What is your personal take on my
          > potential compatibility issue? In my own opinion it is also better to
          > get an un-biased end-user's response in regards to a product. Any
          > thought would be appreciated.
          > Thanks and best wishes,
          > _TONE_

        • Justina Voulgaris
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 24, 2007

            Tone,

            I don't have any experience with the Reelight, but I did want to respond to your comment about drivers outside of NYC not expecting cyclists as much.  I rode in NYC for many years.  NYC drivers are used to being aware of a lot going on around them.  I didn't get hit by a car until moving to suburban New Jersey .  It was at night, but I had lights, reflective vest, was near a street light, and it wasn't a busy road.  In my experience, outside of the city drivers are used to going much faster and farther between intersections, obstructions, and unusual traffic (like bikes or pedestrians).  I think they tune out more and aren't prepared for surprises.  And they just don't have as much experience with lively, complex street action.  Hopefully with increased bike traffic in places like York , that will change.  The trick is to keep ourselves safe in the meantime!

            Happy and safe traveling to you,

            Justina, who has since moved to Seattle and just this past week ordered an Xtracycle through Aaron's Bike Repair.  I can't wait!

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 26, 2007
              I got a generator light from my bike shop guy that probably eventually
              came from Peter White and it was *plenty* bright... except that the
              switch doesn't work so it was always on. So, he's fiddling with it
              and I've got a Shimano generator light and it's okay but not nearly as
              good. I really liked being able to see the assorted pothles along the
              way.
              For visibility purposes I am dependent on AA batteries right now
              (thinking of getting a "solar rider" so I can at least be rechargeable
              but that's a bit of an investment). Around the Christmas season
              Walgreens and assorted places sold little strings of lights lit by AA
              batteries and I have them strung along the snapdeck. I also have a
              string of 'em on my camelbak and backpack pretty much wrapping around
              to make a sort of triangle. I also have HOkey Spokes in the spokes,
              which are pricey - I've got cheaper spoke lights in the Gazelle that
              have much the same effect. Oh, and in the back I have a red stick and
              a blue stick "glo light" because they were $3 at the hardware store.
              I *really* like the effect of having red and blue blinking lights. I
              figure a very impaired driver would reflexively avoid them and slow down.
              During Christmas I had a lit Christmas tree... after Christmas
              going back to just a blinkie felt too invisible. No more guys calling
              out in their best Daddy-to-child voice, "I can't SEEE you!" Now that
              I'm strung out, so to speak, drivers again thank me for the l ights as
              they go by.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Justina Voulgaris"

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 26, 2007

                Glad to hear about the bright generator light, Susan.  I've been intrigued by generator lights myself.

                Sure would love to see your bike at night!

                Justina

                <jvoulgaris1@ ...> wrote:

                > Tone,
                >

                > I don't have any experience with the Reelight, but I did want to
                respond to
                > your comment about drivers outside of NYC not expecting cyclists as
                much. I
                > rode in NYC for many years. NYC drivers are used to being aware of
                a lot
                > going on around them. I didn't get hit by a car until moving to
                suburban
                > New Jersey .
                It was at night, but I had lights, reflective vest, was
                near a
                > street light, and it wasn't a busy road. In my experience, outside
                of the
                > city drivers are used to going much faster and farther between
                > intersections, obstructions, and unusual traffic (like bikes or
                > pedestrians) . I think they tune out more and aren't prepared for
                surprises.
                > And they just don't have as much experience with lively, complex street
                > action. Hopefully with increased bike traffic in places like
                w:st="on"> York , that
                > will change. The trick is to keep ourselves safe in the meantime!
                >

                > Happy and safe traveling to you,
                >

                > Justina, who has since moved to Seattle
                and just this past week
                ordered an
                > Xtracycle through Aaron's Bike Repair. I can't wait!
                >

                > _____

              • Michael Yoder
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Introduction Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike, and I live in Seattle. We have been working on going car light, to the point we sold a car and picked up 2 xtracycles.  I commute on mine to work 5 days a week with 26 miles round trip being a short day. I have even started taking the kids to the grocery store on my xtracycle.

                  All this talk about change and fuel prices got me thinking. Wondering if the rising fuel prices might start making overseas manufacturing of items less appealing?

                  Mike

                • Erynn Laurie
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Hi Mike -- I'm in Everett. I've just started riding after many long years without a bicycle. I did see an article that suggested some manufacturing jobs would return to the US due to fuel prices. I hope this is true, and that they'll pay a living wage!

                    On Jul 7, 2008, at 9:57 PM, Michael Yoder wrote:

                    Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike, and I live in Seattle. We have been working on going car light, to the point we sold a car and picked up 2 xtracycles.  I commute on mine to work 5 days a week with 26 miles round trip being a short day. I have even started taking the kids to the grocery store on my xtracycle.

                    All this talk about change and fuel prices got me thinking. Wondering if the rising fuel prices might start making overseas manufacturing of items less appealing?

                    Erynn

                    Poet-terrorist for a better society

                    Articulating the unspeakable since 1961: http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas

                  • threeohm@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 7, 2008
                      At least as far as bike frames go you can get a few North American built ones such as Bike Friday, Rocky Mountain & Cannondale - not to mention all the small custom builders.

                      Ultimately what we as the consumer choose when we spend our $$$ has a big impact on what is produced, where & how much the workforce is paid.

                      Safe riding,

                      Vik

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 7, 2008
                        At 9:57 PM -0700 7/7/08, Michael Yoder wrote:
                        >All this talk about change and fuel prices got me thinking.
                        >Wondering if the rising fuel prices might start making overseas
                        >manufacturing of items less appealing?

                        Rising fuel would certainly add to the cost of shipping from
                        overseas. Yet of course that is only part of the final cost. Rising
                        cost of all energy, oil- and oil-based products adds costs to
                        everything, and to every part of each process. The steel costs more,
                        the electricity costs more, the bread or rice or corn the workers eat
                        cost more. Grain prices have doubled in some places, and hungry
                        people are rioting in the streets.

                        Plus the US$ has fallen against most other currencies. Less than 10
                        years ago the Australian dollar was about US$0.50. Now it is about
                        US$0.95. So the price of an Xtracycle has actually gone down for me
                        in Australia.

                        The problem is that once you close factories and move the
                        manufacturing offshore, it is not always so simple to start
                        manufacturing again. The plant and equipment has been sold or
                        scrapped, the skilled workers dispersed to other places in search of
                        work, the supply chains for the materials broken. Takes big
                        investment to get that all going again.

                        So for many items the choice is between imported or nothing!

                        This has happened here in Australia as well. Recently another
                        Australia footware manufacturer went offshore. Another big boot
                        company survives because of the Defence Force combat boot contract.
                        Makes me wonder what shoes I will be wearing if imports become too
                        expensive!

                        ray
                      • cheez.sammich
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 21 11:26 AM
                          Hi I'm Elizabeth,

                          I only in the last few years got back into cycling.
                          My dad was a commuter cyclist my whole childhood.
                          I don't have an Xtracycle, I am in the debating/deciding phase.
                          My main debate is whether I want to convert my current bike, which I love, or pick up a beater to convert.
                          I commute to work and the store and the hardware and the library and to meet friends now.
                          My current non longtail bike is fitted with a rear rack and panniers and I use it much like and xtra.
                          I can carry 6 homemade grocery bags and not smash the bread.
                          I do throw my kid on the back because his tag along has a flat that I haven't fixed =).
                          So I totally see how an Xtra would be just like how I already use my bike.
                          I also have an old schwinn that is a beater bike - my husbands beater bike and it's a little too tall for me.
                          My bike has a 16.5" frame and the schwinn has a 19" frame,
                          but I ride both like they're mine, it's good to look down on cars.
                        • Carl Ray
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 21 6:06 PM
                            Elizabeth,

                            Join the Cult, er I mean get an Xtracycle. Drink the cool aid, things will be better tomorrow. I promise.

                            I have had an X for over a year. An I put on E-assist. Both have been very cool things.
                            Just jump in the pool. Look by being on this site, heck you are already there girlfriend. Your toes are already wet, just jump in, no worries.

                            Peace,

                            Carl

                            --
                            Carl

                            http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                            "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                            Kent Peterson
                            http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

                          • ama3655@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 21 10:38 PM
                              Um, yeah, but then again, don't forget that there are other things in life. I truly love my Big Dummy, as  I truly love my Soma, and my Cinelli, and my 3 Raleighs, the old Guerciotti, and the canoe, and the kayak, and the Triton, and the Honda Odyssey that will haul them all to wherever the weather is nice...and a couple of very nice M1911 pistols, and the custom fly rods,  the biergarten out back, and especially my wife and the new kittens. And the 4 grand daughters...

                              Long story short, remember that the bike is a tool. It should take you to where you want to be.

                              Drink the KoolAid every chance you get, just don't forget that there's another KoolAid stand around the corner. KoolAid is almost as good as beer...forget the KoolAid.

                              happy trails - FatRob

                              In a message dated 4/21/2009 8:07:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time, kwikfile@... writes:

                              Elizabeth,

                              Join the Cult, er I mean get an Xtracycle. Drink the cool aid, things will be better tomorrow. I promise.

                              I have had an X for over a year. An I put on E-assist. Both have been very cool things.
                              Just jump in the pool. Look by being on this site, heck you are already there girlfriend. Your toes are already wet, just jump in, no worries.

                              Peace,

                              Carl

                              Big savings on Dell XPS Laptops and Desktops!
                            • Rick Pickett

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 22 11:13 AM

                                  Elizabeth,

                                  Welcome to the group! I started out with a rack & panniers. Had wanted an Xtracycle, but couldn’t afford it at the time after moving back to the States from overseas. So the panniers were a temporary solution. Wow! There was a HUGE difference in what I could carry and how the bike handled after switching to the X. I regularly hauled 25 lb boxes on my original rack. Made for some pretty wobbly riding especially when I stood up. With the X (and wideloaders) it is not a problem at all. (In fact, I regularly carry larger loads than 25 lbs and hardly notice!)  In the hot summer, I also strap on a decent sized cooler to hold cold stuff and an occasional bag of ice.

                                  It’s pretty hilly where I live and a few weeks ago I made the upgrade to e-assist! (A shout out to Elise, Morgan and the team at Cycle9 for all their help!) It is absolutely wonderful! I now look for excuses to ride instead of excuses to stay home! Now…I regularly make extra stops at various out of the way places because it doesn’t kill me to get there! J

                                  Jen Ertl

                                  Progressive Synergy

                                  www.progressivesynergy.com

                                  Internet Research, Purchasing, Cost Comparison

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 22 1:20 PM
                                    As someone who's been using a bike for transportation for over 35 years, I feel completely justified in saying the Xtracycle/longtail configuration is a giant leap in functionality. I've had a BOB trailer for nearly 10 years, and the X beats it hands down (though the BOB still has its place; it goes on the back of our tandem and I prefer it for some mountain biking situations).

                                    Mighk Wilson
                                    Orlando, FL
                                  • Carl Ray

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 23 2:14 AM
                                        Message
                                        > Had wanted an Xtracycle, but couldn’t afford it

                                        That's exactly the situation I am in. An Xtracycle over here in the UK would cost £450 which must be about $650. And that is about 4 times the value of my bike! (OK less than 2 times if I had to replace it). So while I would like one and will stay on this list to keep the interest going, I suspect I won't be getting one for a long time.

                                        Neil.

                                      • Mike
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 22, 2010
                                          Just wanted to introduce myself. I joined the group a couple of days ago. I am just starting an Xtracycle build, based on a mid-90's Trek 820. This will be my first frame up build of any kind. I will certainly have quite a few questions in the coming days. More to come...
                                          - Mike
                                        • Pete B
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 23, 2010
                                            Welcome Mike,

                                            Let the Everyday adventures begin.....

                                            Pete.B
                                            'Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization' : George Bernard Shaw
                                            Sent from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 25, 2010
                                              Welcome brother! X's are FUN!

                                              On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Mike <michael.odom374@...> wrote:

                                              Just wanted to introduce myself. I joined the group a couple of days ago. I am just starting an Xtracycle build, based on a mid-90's Trek 820. This will be my first frame up build of any kind. I will certainly have quite a few questions in the coming days. More to come...
                                              - Mike

                                              --

                                              "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them." – Ernest Hemingway