Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Safety of towing behind an X

  • Miguel Barroso
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 20 6:24 AM

      I will second Fred's opinion... it's all about the speed - but I will add skills and traffic

      As teenagers, me and my friends used to skate the streets allround the neighborhood - this is quite an up and down area, with 10% slopes beeing common. Back in the 80's, traffic was much scarce than it is now - but one of the guys in the group, had a scooter that pulled us all uphill (record beeing 13 in a row, but usually around 5 to 7 skateboarders) and I can't recall any accident... the accidents always occurred after he droped us on the top of the hills, and we started going downhill... back then, none of us had long boards... and speeds of 20-30mph were common... big crashes!!! luckly, no one ever got seriously injured (besides some bronken arms, skin burns and similar events) No we didn't use helmets... most of us had wrist guards, but that was it...

      Nowadays, I wouldn't allow my kids to do the same, specially because the traffic is like 100x more intensive than it used to be... (we have footage of that time, and in a 20min video, you see only a couple of cars passing by)

      Miguel Barroso