Re: xtracycle with 20" wheels for fattest possible tire?

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
      Rich, it depends on whether you're running a rear derailleur & cassette, or an internal gear hub, and whether or not you've got a front single or triple and, if single, what its spacing is.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?
    • Fred K. Aron
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
        several folks run large marge rims with the Maxxis Hookworms 2.50

        "The things that bring me so much joy, are the things my parents did with me as a child.  Hiking, Bicycling, Canoeing, scrambling on rocks, being at a beach, and in general spending time out in nature.  Now I have a little girl of my own, and do the same things with her...and again, those are her favorite things to do."

        On 2010-04-05, at 1:07 PM, Rich wrote:

        > Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?

      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
          Despite the Hookworm's lack of flat protection, I've enjoyed the ride on them so far on my Big Dummy (with Large Marge rims).

          I do, however, suggest forgoing the XC version of their rims unless you have a better rim tape solution than what's currently offered for the Large Marges. Under high tire pressure, and the CNCd holes in the XC version, the tube pushes the weak rim tape through the holes, ripping the tape and, in turn, blowing the tube.

          Now I've added even more outer rim weight with some flat protection liners and accept that slow and steady is my mode.

          But, I do get lots of looks and praise for my formidable machine (it's a 22" and I'm 6'6", so I do look a bit 'odd' on the road).

          Cheers,
          Rick

          Meet the all new Radish for 2010! http://bit.ly/radish2010

          "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

          artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
          888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

          On 2010-04-05, at 1:07 PM, Rich wrote:

          > Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
            Nate;

            That is why I specified conditions as I did, a triple front ring derailleur setup. I figured it would be about the commonest Xtracycle drivetrain.

            Even with an IGH drive the chain line can vary considerably between hub makes which will affect tire width limits. Based on comments so far it looks like the 2.35" width Big Apple is right at the limit for a standard configuration Big Dummy. I would presume similar limits would apply to a Xtracycle converted MTB with a stock triple drivetrain.

            I am happy with 2" tires on my BD and see no need to go wider. My post was done as a possible aid to others on what the nominal tire width limit would be for a usual Xtracycle MTB conversion or factory built Big Dummy.

            Rich Wood

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
              My reading comprehension is undergoing suckage.

              That being the case, I change my answer to "keep inflating until the tire hits the chain." :)