Re: xtracycle with 20" wheels for fattest possible tire?

  • speedub_nate
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2010
      I've basically dropped a 29" frame to 26" height, and the lower BB height is on the margins in many circumstances. Then there's the problem of sufficient width between the frame's stays to accommodate the wider rubber.

      The 26 x 2.3" Big Apple is quite cushy, yet not too draggy. And don't forget that smaller wheel diameters can magnify surface imperfections over a certain size, even if you're running really low pressures.

      In other words, it's fun to experiment, but be aware of some of the compromises.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cjbikenut" <jacobs721@...> wrote:

      > If I install a 20 or 24" wheel on my xtracycle, can I use a wider tire than the 2.3" listed as the max for use with a 26" wheel ? I know this mode will drop the bottom bracket a bit but I want to increase rubber on the road to soften the ride and keep the center of gravity low. I will be riding with my kids on the back

    • Ryan Alward
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2010
        FWIW I have an 18" Surly Rat Ride 1x1 with 24" wheels and 3" wide tires. I don't like how low the BB is with this set up. On my Big Dummy with 26" x 2.25? (the wide ones) Big Apples I can pedal around corners just fine. On the Rat Ride pedals are getting hammered all the time. I think I am going to switch out the 24" for some 26" wheels when I have extra funds. I would not like it if my BD had the smaller wheels.

        Take it easy,

        - Ryan
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2010
          Surly has a good discussion of the potential problems involved with going to smaller wheels in their Big Dummy build PDF downloadable from their web site.

          You cannot go too wide on the tires as you can start running into interference between tire and chain in lower gears if running a derailleur drivetrain. The Surly Pugsley utilizes several design tricks to prevent this.

          The 2.35" Big Apples at the recommended 30 PSI minimum should give about as supple a ride as most people would want or need, particularly on an Xtracycle as the long wheelbase helps smooth out the ride too.

          Rich Wood

        • ama3655@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2010
            Low tire pressure is a wonderful thing. I can get by below 30 with 2.125s on the Big Dummy, lightly loaded. Note that lightly loaded on my BD means me and anything less than 100 lbs. The ride gets plumb cushy, and I still hop and drop curbs with no pinch flats (yet, knock wood).
            FatRob

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Alward <ryan.alward@...> wrote:

                > *Thumbs Up!* I agree. That is what I ride on my BD.
                >
                > "The 2.35" Big Apples at the recommended 30 PSI minimum should give about as supple a ride as most people would want or need, particularly on an Xtracycle as the long wheelbase helps smooth out the ride too." -Rich Wood
                >
                > Take it easy,
                >
                > - Ryan

              • Ryan Alward
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Rich,

                  I don't think I would go any larger than my 2.35 Big Apples. There is a slight amount of chain rub in the lowest gear. That is in the Dummy.

                  Take it easy,

                  - Ryan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                    2.35" Big Apple. Lowest gear gets a little chain rub, not that you're going fast enough to care. A fender might be noisy.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                      Rich, it depends on whether you're running a rear derailleur & cassette, or an internal gear hub, and whether or not you've got a front single or triple and, if single, what its spacing is.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?
                    • Fred K. Aron
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                        several folks run large marge rims with the Maxxis Hookworms 2.50

                        "The things that bring me so much joy, are the things my parents did with me as a child.  Hiking, Bicycling, Canoeing, scrambling on rocks, being at a beach, and in general spending time out in nature.  Now I have a little girl of my own, and do the same things with her...and again, those are her favorite things to do."

                        On 2010-04-05, at 1:07 PM, Rich wrote:

                        > Does anyone know from experience what the widest tire is that can normally be fitted to an Xtracycle or Big Dummy before chain to tire clearance becomes a problem in the lowest gears on a triple chainring derailleur setup?

                      • Rick Pickett
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                          Despite the Hookworm's lack of flat protection, I've enjoyed the ride on them so far on my Big Dummy (with Large Marge rims).

                          I do, however, suggest forgoing the XC version of their rims unless you have a better rim tape solution than what's currently offered for the Large Marges. Under high tire pressure, and the CNCd holes in the XC version, the tube pushes the weak rim tape through the holes, ripping the tape and, in turn, blowing the tube.

                          Now I've added even more outer rim weight with some flat protection liners and accept that slow and steady is my mode.

                          But, I do get lots of looks and praise for my formidable machine (it's a 22" and I'm 6'6", so I do look a bit 'odd' on the road).

                          Cheers,
                          Rick

                          Meet the all new Radish for 2010! http://bit.ly/radish2010

                          "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

                          artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
                          888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                            Nate;

                            That is why I specified conditions as I did, a triple front ring derailleur setup. I figured it would be about the commonest Xtracycle drivetrain.

                            Even with an IGH drive the chain line can vary considerably between hub makes which will affect tire width limits. Based on comments so far it looks like the 2.35" width Big Apple is right at the limit for a standard configuration Big Dummy. I would presume similar limits would apply to a Xtracycle converted MTB with a stock triple drivetrain.

                            I am happy with 2" tires on my BD and see no need to go wider. My post was done as a possible aid to others on what the nominal tire width limit would be for a usual Xtracycle MTB conversion or factory built Big Dummy.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5, 2010
                              My reading comprehension is undergoing suckage.

                              That being the case, I change my answer to "keep inflating until the tire hits the chain." :)